NoroVirus

Mr. Muster

Hello Dearies!!!

What has been peoples' experiences with NoroVirus on cruise ships? What are the symptoms? How do the cruise lines handle outbreaks? How do cruise lines try and combat this CVBK (Cruise Vacation Buzz Kill) virus? Does elective cruise insurance cover if you get sick?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, experiences, and expert recommendations/advise!

Toot-Toot!

Cheerio, Dearies clear.png?emoji-blowkiss-1700

I think I may have had it in NCL Sky to Cuba....that or food poisoning. It hit me in the middle of the night of Day 2 (after enjoying Havana for the two days--TBTG!!! And t hit hard!!! Night sweats turned to chills and back and forth all night long. Spent as much time in the loo as I did in bed!!! I wanted to die! It was on it's way back to wherever it came from by evening the next day. I just wonder if it was NoroVirus or not and what to do to avoid it in the future if it was!

Toot-Toot!

I either had it or food poisoning on NCL Escape in fall of 2016. Either way the ship went on noro-style lockdown and we received letters about it.

I did everything "right" and still got sick. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life (mostly vomiting) and I really thought I was going to die in the ship's infirmary. My stomach was in bad shape for two weeks after that, and I lost a lot of weight.

(I'm about 75% convinced it was food poisoning since it never hit my lower digestive tract, but most people on CC will disagree because that makes the cruise lines look bad, whereas noro can be blamed on passengers.)

I either had it or food poisoning on NCL Escape in fall of 2016. Either way the ship went on noro-style lockdown and we received letters about it.

I did everything "right" and still got sick. It was the sickest I've ever been in my life (mostly vomiting) and I really thought I was going to die in the ship's infirmary. My stomach was in bad shape for two weeks after that, and I lost a lot of weight.

(I'm about 75% convinced it was food poisoning since it never hit my lower digestive tract, but most people on CC will disagree because that makes the cruise lines look bad, whereas noro can be blamed on passengers.)

Yuck!!! But why is NoroVirus-style "lockdown"? Mine was limited to lower GI .... I felt like I wanted to throw up and nearly did several times ... but just never did! How is noro blamed on passengers? Any advise on how to do everything "right"? I want to avoid this at all "cost" as the "price" you pay is being sick on holiday!! BUMMER!!!

Is it me, or has it been quite a while since we last saw a Noro thread on this website?

And absent too from other media.

So don't tempt providence, Dearie ;)

On all cruises, passengers are required to fill in a form at registration to say whether they have felt ill in the past few days.

That's far from foolproof, because folk won't want to be refused boarding even if insured, so I guess a lot don't disclose.

Noro has an incubation period of about 48 hours, so if there's an outbreak within that time it was probably caused by a departing passenger or more likely brought aboard by an unwitting new passenger.

Hygiene on cruise ships is generally very good.

Staff who report ill are confined to quarters and barred from working. But that doesn't impact on their work record or their pay or share of tips - cruise lines clearly don't want staff hiding illness.

When there's an outbreak there are systems in place.

Usually the first thing that happens is that cutlery and food in the buffet etc is served by staff rather than self-serve until a respectable time after the outbreak has subsided. *

Staff are constantly cleaning handrails, doors, and other points-of-contact throughout the ship.

Those afflicted are confined to their cabins by ship's medical staff until cleared, and any charges for in-cabin service are waived.

The ship is obliged to inform the authorities in the event of a serious outbreak - I don't know the numbers, if he joins this thread Cheng will probably know.

At the end of a noro cruise the ship is deep-cleaned - this can delay boarding for incoming passengers but rarely affects departure time because it's a well-oiled routine.

I've never been afflicted on a cruise ship, so I don't know whether treatment is charged or, if it is, whether it's covered by travel insurance.

Probably the cost of medication would be below an insurance excess (that's been the case on both occasions when I've needed ship's doctor), and I don't know if loss of enjoyment by being confined to cabin etc is covered.

* On some cruise ships that has been standard procedure for the first few days of every cruise as a preventative measure, I'd be happy if that were standard procedure throughout the industry.

JB :)

(cruiser and barrack-room doctor ;))

JB basically covered what happens. I've been lucky to never have it but have sailed on a cruise where it occurred and spread. The majority of changes occur in food service areas as nothing remains self serve. Even in the MDR, rolls are served not on the table, etc, same true of any condiments. Really slows down the buffet but that's how they try to prevent spread.

Want to avoid it if possible. WASH your hands. I advised that for 40 years of practice to prevent the spread of disease.

Here's a link to a thread I posted about 3 weeks ago, which links to a LA Times article on Norovirus. Some articles try to sensationalize it, while this one puts it in perspective.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519432&highlight=Norovirus

You can also click on the "Search Forum" button on the right side of this board page near top; type "Norovirus" in the search box and read hundreds of previous posts on the topic.

We've been on several ships that had outbreaks, but with good hygiene and common sense have never had it ourselves.

:*

Is it me, or has it been quite a while since we last saw a Noro thread on this website?

And absent too from other media.

So don't tempt providence, Dearie ;)

On all cruises, passengers are required to fill in a form at registration to say whether they have felt ill in the past few days.

That's far from foolproof, because folk won't want to be refused boarding even if insured, so I guess a lot don't disclose.

Noro has an incubation period of about 48 hours, so if there's an outbreak within that time it was probably caused by a departing passenger or more likely brought aboard by an unwitting new passenger.

Hygiene on cruise ships is generally very good.

Staff who report ill are confined to quarters and barred from working. But that doesn't impact on their work record or their pay or share of tips - cruise lines clearly don't want staff hiding illness.

When there's an outbreak there are systems in place.

Usually the first thing that happens is that cutlery and food in the buffet etc is served by staff rather than self-serve until a respectable time after the outbreak has subsided. *

Staff are constantly cleaning handrails, doors, and other points-of-contact throughout the ship.

Those afflicted are confined to their cabins by ship's medical staff until cleared, and any charges for in-cabin service are waived.

The ship is obliged to inform the authorities in the event of a serious outbreak - I don't know the numbers, if he joins this thread Cheng will probably know.

At the end of a noro cruise the ship is deep-cleaned - this can delay boarding for incoming passengers but rarely affects departure time because it's a well-oiled routine.

I've never been afflicted on a cruise ship, so I don't know whether treatment is charged or, if it is, whether it's covered by travel insurance.

Probably the cost of medication would be below an insurance excess (that's been the case on both occasions when I've needed ship's doctor), and I don't know if loss of enjoyment by being confined to cabin etc is covered.

* On some cruise ships that has been standard procedure for the first few days of every cruise as a preventative measure, I'd be happy if that were standard procedure throughout the industry.

JB :)

(cruiser and barrack-room doctor ;))

Dear JB:

You're a dream! And a hoot, too!!! So Toot-Toot to you, Dearie!

I certainly don't want to tempt providence .... and thought I could find a past post on N*r*V*r*s (I won't specifically same the name again! ;)) before starting my own. Perhaps she's run her course.....but I sure feel like I fell prey to it and wonder if I shouldn't have gone to the infirmary. I didn't even know there was such a thing as N*r*V*r*s until I started doing a little research after returning back home. It was awful. But I lived to see another day!

Cheerio, Dearie! :*

Here's a link to a thread I posted about 3 weeks ago, which links to a LA Times article on Norovirus. Some articles try to sensationalize it, while this one puts it in perspective.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2519432&highlight=Norovirus

You can also click on the "Search Forum" button on the right side of this board page near top; type "Norovirus" in the search box and read hundreds of previous posts on the topic.

We've been on several ships that had outbreaks, but with good hygiene and common sense have never had it ourselves.

Toot-Toot to you, Dearie! Thanks for the link to the article and for the way to do a "Search Forum" on CC. You spoil me!!!

Cheerio, Dearies!!! :*

Just for info's sake: many of us showed up in the infirmary around the same time (~4 am), and the people sharing my infirmary room said they'd eaten in the buffet (I had too).

I received no charge for the infirmary service on NCL Escape. I received several anti-emetic shots as they tried to stop the vomiting, and a shot of Valium because my heart was racing out of control from the vomiting and panic. (Very very sick, and on a solo cruise, in the middle of the Atlantic--I was scared.) They also gave me some anti-diarrheal pills (didn't need them) and some grape flavored electrolyte drink.

I was quarantined for 48 hours, although after the 48 hrs I was still too weak to leave the room. They took away my linens in red bags.

This hasn't stopped me from cruising but it was some time before I booked another. Just hoping lightning doesn't strike twice. If it does, I'm probably done.

Never been on one but the sailing before us.

On our cruise day, check-in time was the same but the boarding time was moved 2 hours later. They had to do deep cleaning of the ship.

Before entering the buffet area, each one was required to pass thru the hand sanitizing dispenser and food on the buffet station was served on the plate.

In public area, cleaning crew were visible on the ship till disembarkation day.

Just for info's sake: many of us showed up in the infirmary around the same time (~4 am), and the people sharing my infirmary room said they'd eaten in the buffet (I had too).

I received no charge for the infirmary service on NCL Escape. I received several anti-emetic shots as they tried to stop the vomiting, and a shot of Valium because my heart was racing out of control from the vomiting and panic. (Very very sick, and on a solo cruise, in the middle of the Atlantic--I was scared.) They also gave me some anti-diarrheal pills (didn't need them) and some grape flavored electrolyte drink.

I was quarantined for 48 hours, although after the 48 hrs I was still too weak to leave the room. They took away my linens in red bags.

This hasn't stopped me from cruising but it was some time before I booked another. Just hoping lightning doesn't strike twice. If it does, I'm probably done.

How scary to have your heart racing and thrown out of whack like that. You can appreciate how tough that is not just for generally healthy folks but especially for infants/children and the elderly.

We went on our own researched/created food walking tour to six different establishments in Havana. By the time I had the lobster ceviche (4th stop) I was already filled to the gills and didn't think I would eat again for a week! It's possible I picked up a bug in any of those places....although we took wet wipes to use at every stop along the way.

Cheerio, Dearies! :*

We have been on quite a few HAL ships when the Noro either was on the ship when we got on or it broke out while we were cruising.

So far we have never gotten it.

Once a certain percentage of people and/or crew are sick, the ships were placed in Code Red. That meant that the pools were closed, you could not touch anything in the buffets, the library was closed. It was so bad on one of our cruises that activities were cancelled, the beauty salon was closed, the dining room staff served you your butter and rolls -- nothing on the tables. No salt and pepper shakers on the tables -- you were given small packets of them.

Volendam and Westerdam have recently had the Noro virus.

Since John asked, I hop in.

As stated, Noro has an incubation time of about 48-72 hours, and the symptoms (typically violent diarrhea and vomiting) will last for about 3 days. Sometimes, vomiting is not experienced, but diarrhea is always there with Noro). Food poisoning usually gets markedly better once the offending material is ejected, within a day.

One thing JB didn't mention is that passengers that report to medical with GI illness are requested to quarantine themselves in their cabin (frequently room service is provided, no charge, and movies at no charge), but some do not abide by this, though most people who have had Noro say there is no way they felt like even crawling from their cabin.

Cruise ships are required to send a report to the CDC within 24 hours prior to entering the US from a foreign port, each cruise, regardless of whether there have been any reports of GI illness or not. When the number of reported cases reaches 2% of the number of passengers or crew, the ship must submit another report, as soon as the threshold number is passed. These reports are not published, which is why many cruisers and CC members don't know about them. If the number of reported cases reaches 3% of passengers or crew, or there has been a repeated reporting of 2% over more than 2 weeks, the ship is required to submit a further report, which includes their remediation plan, and this is the report that is posted on the CDC website as the "noro outbreak update report". Typically, at this level, the CDC will send a team to inspect the ship and discuss the remediation plan and procedures with the ship's management.

Others have mentioned a lot of the things the ships do to mediate an outbreak, and typically they work hard to do so, because the crew lives on the ship, and if the outbreak continues, then there is more chance of crew contracting it.

In several years on cruise ships, and over 40 years at sea, I've never had Noro on a ship. I have had it on shore, not sure where I got it. However, I can't recall a single cruise where there was not at least one case of GI illness reported (confirmation of a Noro diagnosis requires lab testing of stool). Hand sanitation is key. My own personal things to do when there is an increase in reported cases is to wrap a paper napkin around the glass when using the glass to press on the dispensing bar for water or juice, and to not eat anything (not fries, burgers, or pizza) with my hands.

Noro is present in schools EVERY year...and in places where large groups of folks are in close proximity. You are "contagious" before you actually become ill..and that's why it's so hard to contain. It is not just a "cruise ship" problem...it's simply that ships MUST report when affected folks reach a certain percentage of the population...that's why you hear about it on ships, and not so much in schools or nursing homes, etc...

I have 5 kids, when they were little, we'd average about 3 stomach bugs per year in our house, some worse than others. Rotavirus was the absolute worst, my one year olds had it for 10 days straight. Fever, vomiting, diarrhea, don't eat, tablespoon of liquid every 15 minutes to prevent dehydration, Tylenol, carry your lined bucket everywhere, BRAT diet after 12 hours of being vomit free...

Hand washing. Lots of hand washing. Sanitizer will take care of many things, however, does not kill Noro virus.

Logistically it's probably difficult to practice proper handwashing, especially if on a solo cruise. Let's take my last (not solo but ate solo a bit) RCI trip for example. I entered the buffet, washed my hands in the handwashing room, fixed a plate and found a seat. I've just touched all the serving utensils so I need to wash my hands again because those are almost certainly dirty (from people who skip the handwashing station, people who went back for seconds after pulling out their chair, blowing their nose, picking things up off the floor, etc) so I need to go wash my hands again (not just use hand sanitizer), but who's gonna watch my food? Plenty of posts over in the Solo Cruise forum report leaving your plate gets it cleared by the waiters very quickly, so you're in between a rock and a hard place.

I carry individually wrapped handwipes (that state they kill norovirus) to use after getting to my seat after buffet visit. I also use them after ordering and returning the menu to waiter in dining venues. In my cabin, I wipe doorknobs, sink faucets, light switches, remotes, etc with lysol wipes pretty consistantly during my cruise. Yes, Im super paranoid of yucky germs viruses! Also very very good about handwashing. Knock on wood...no sickness for me or hubby on any of our cruises over the past 15 years.

Hand washing. Lots of hand washing. Sanitizer will take care of many things, however, does not kill Noro virus.

Actually, they now have peroxide based wipes that prevent Norovirus. If you go to amazon.com and search for "wipes norovirus" you'll find them. A container of 95 wipes is around $10-12. It is being used now in hospitals and protects against 40 microorganisms, including 13 anti-biotic-resistant organisms, and Norovirus, Rotavirus, HIV and TB.

We use the wipes when we are on the airplane (on food trays that rarely get wiped, arm rests, and any other non-fabric surface). In the cabin, we wipe down light switches, remote controls the telephone and door handles. We only do that once unless there is an outbreak on the ship and then we probably look like germaphobes!:evilsmile:

I realize how quick the turnaround is and how hard the crew works to get the ships ready for the next cruise.

As soon as I get in the cabin I Lysol spray the door handles,(inside and outside ) light switches, television remotes, telephone, luggage handles, faucets and toilet handle.I figure if it doesn't help it can't hurt- especially for the next family who moves on in and does nothing. It may seem a little extreme but it seems to work for me. I also try to NEVER touch my eyes,nose,mouth while out and about on the ship. I'd rather be overly cautious and a little OCD than sick on my vacation.:cool:

I realize how quick the turnaround is and how hard the crew works to get the ships ready for the next cruise.

As soon as I get in the cabin I Lysol spray the door handles,(inside and outside ) light switches, television remotes, telephone, luggage handles, faucets and toilet handle.I figure if it doesn't help it can't hurt- especially for the next family who moves on in and does nothing. It may seem a little extreme but it seems to work for me. I also try to NEVER touch my eyes,nose,mouth while out and about on the ship. I'd rather be overly cautious and a little OCD than sick on my vacation.:cool:

Yes!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did a 4 night cruise on a F.O ship some years ago, a nice trip for Mum and I. The ship was already under Noro precautions when we boarded and it seems that many more people were unwell during the cruise.

My Mum was very unwell for a couple of days (of course, we will never know whether it was actually Noro). She was asked to stay in her cabin until cleared to leave by the ship's medic. We were told her S+S card was marked somehow so that she would have been refused service if she had tried to get something - I don't know if this was true as she never tried it. Medical costs and room service were waived and extra water was provided FOC too. A special team cleaned the cabin (the bathroom was in a bit of a mess :() and linen was put into a red bag.

I was told that it would not make any difference whether or not I stayed in the cabin. I felt pretty unwell with a heavy cold by that time so stayed with Mum for 24 hours anyway. I did not take any precautions other than frequent hand washing and I did not contract the illness. I have never wiped down the cabin, on boarding or at any other time.

We were also asked to arrive later for boarding one P+O cruise as they needed to deep clean first. I think they took noro precautions for the first 48 hours, then went back to normal.