Cruise Jewelry

mrsfoose

There are port shopping lectures on board offering recommendations.

Many cruise lines recommend Diamonds International.........

I would prefer to use a local reputable jeweller, where I can return in case of problems.

Is there a chance they might be paid to make those recommendations? :D

Something to consider if you did a search on here -- some people have mentioned that when they got home, they have had items re-appraised and found them not to be worth what they paid.

I've noticed this for a number of items sold on cruise ships and cruise ship stores.

I have a friend who cruises a lot, knows a lot about jewelry and buys stuff on cruises. When she is asked the question that you are are asking, she tell the questioner that "if you don't know jewelry, know your jeweler". You obviously fall into the ignorant group so that suggestion applies to you. What do you know about any jeweler on any of the places that you may visit.

DON

You obviously fall into the ignorant group so that suggestion applies to you.

DON

Well geeze, I didn’t realize asking a question would get me called ignorant.

Obviously, by asking a question I am doing what I can to research and learn now. I wonder how your friend got to be so knowledgeable?

I bet it was by being ignorant and asking questions [emoji848][emoji848][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Even with all of that information on your credit card receipt' date=' good luck getting any satisfaction when the "gold" ring you bought in Trinidad turns out to be cheap plating on cheaper metal.[/quote']ya... that incident cost me my second marriage

The jeweler that we have used for years regularly has people coming in with jewelry and/or stones that they purchased in the Caribbean. Often with so called appraisal certificates.

Unless he knows the customer well he is very reluctant to tell than that their appraisal is, in his words, a 'fairy tale' , the stones of lesser quality, or the workmanship poor. He does not want to offend and loose a customer. Besides, he makes money repairing some of that jewelry and re-setting some of the stones.

Cruise lines recommend shore based retail outlets for one reason and only one reason. They get paid to do so.

Unclench, and take a deep breath. Dictionary definition: lacking knowledge or comprehension of the thing specified

Doesn't that pretty much describe your situation vis a vis gemstones and fine jewellery? And no, you don't learn much about the subject by asking strangers on an internet forum. You learn by asking questions and talking to reliable jewellers or other people you know who are knowledgeable about the subject.

Obviously, by asking a question I am doing what I can to research and learn now. I wonder how your friend got to be so knowledgeable?

I bet it was by being ignorant and asking questions [emoji848][emoji848][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58][emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't worry. Half the "experts" on CC got there by quickly checking & quoting Google. :D

Side note, those merchants that set up around the ship AFTER leaving U.S. waters, they don't adhere to U.S. consumer laws. Wife bought from chain by the inch place with a guarantee. They stand by the guarantee, but you have to book a cruise they will be on to get service since they don't have a brick and mortar store anywhere

Don't worry. Half the "experts" on CC got there by quickly checking & quoting Google. :D

Yep, you are absolutely correct. So the next time you want to buy expensive jewelry make sure you go to a a strange jeweler, unknown to you, who only has stores in foreign cruise ports, and which gives you very little recourse if you are misled or later find out that what you thought you were buying! I am sure you will feel real confident about your choice.

Hank

Hands down i got one of my favorite pieces of jewelry at the Amber Museum in Puerta Plata, Dominican Republic. The museum is terrific but the jewelry store has literally hundreds of amber necklaces, bracelets, etc at great prices. We went with a friend from the DR and had him negotiate in the local currency and language. I have a stunning amber pendant that makes me happy every time I wear it. And others always comment on it.

If you like amber, study up on quality and prices and buy there. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many years ago Sears Canada (now bankrupt and out of business) was fined and admonished by Consumer and Corporate Affairs.

Why? Simple. They were advertising and selling diamond jewelry, especially engagement rings, at half of their 'appraisal value'. It was determined that this was nothing but a scam. Sears Canada, at that time, agreed to cease and desist.

The mugs would come in and were actually told that they were buying a $5000/ or higher value ring for $2500. The ring came with an appraisal to prove it. Not.

Yep, you are absolutely correct. So the next time you want to buy expensive jewelry make sure you go to a a strange jeweler, unknown to you, who only has stores in foreign cruise ports, and which gives you very little recourse if you are misled or later find out that what you thought you were buying! I am sure you will feel real confident about your choice.

Hank

There you go! I know more about this subject than I really want because Mrs. Ldubs has a strong like for gold and diamonds. She has a few trusted jewelry stores for gold and only uses diamond brokers for stones. On cruise ships/stores she pretty much limits purchases to cheap T-shirts. :D

There you go! I know more about this subject than I really want because Mrs. Ldubs has a strong like for gold and diamonds. She has a few trusted jewelry stores for gold and only uses diamond brokers for stones. On cruise ships/stores she pretty much limits purchases to cheap T-shirts. :D

You and I both married smart ladies. When I realized my girlfriend had no interest in wasting her time in Diamonds International....I knew I had found the correct life partner :). My son in law is one of my hero's because of how he handled a diamond purchase. He actually hired a retired GIA Diamond expert (she works for private clients) to help him choose the appropriate stone for my DD. Whenever he found something he liked, he called her and she would come (incognito) and evaluate the stone. She quickly rejected nearly everything he found in very reputable NYC stores. It took a long time for him to find the right stone which also passed her inspection. Many of his fellow colleagues also follow suit hiring independent experts to evaluate jewels (especially diamonds). After what we learned during his experience I just cringe when I see folks shelling out big bucks for jewelry.

Hank

My son-in-law taught me a valuable lessons about gems. He works in the Wall Street area where many of the guys hire independent gem experts to help them shop for jewelry. In his case his "expert" was a retired GIA Diamond expert. Whenever he found something he liked, he called her and she would come (incognito) and examine the stone. For nearly a year she recommended against nearly everything in some of the best NYC stores. Eventually he found what he wanted and it passed her inspection :). What we learned is that even the best jewelers are not always particularly honest when it comes to quality and price. Walk into a jewelry store and buy something valuable and its likely you have either overpaid or purchased something that is not quite the quality you have been led to expect.

Personally I have even made bad mistakes with cheap T-shirts :). When they shrink to an extra small after one washing, or self-destruct in the washer I feel like a fool. But I can live with a $20 error. But jewelry is another story.

Hank

I buy a piece of jewelry if it "speaks" to me. I have an upper limit I will not exceed when cruising, so never have to worry about buying a diamond, or tanzanite :) Each piece I've bought while on a cruise gives me great pleasure when I wear it, remembering the trip it is from <3 But I would never spend big money with some jeweller I didn't know. I stick to non-gem, or semi-precious stones, when on a cruise.

Personally I have even made bad mistakes with cheap T-shirts :). When they shrink to an extra small after one washing, or self-destruct in the washer I feel like a fool. But I can live with a $20 error. But jewelry is another story.

Hank

:D:D:D We all have been there!

Hank

It all depends on your own shopping skill. I once bought a T-shirt in St. Thomas for $12.50; when I got home I took it to a local souvenir shop where they told me it was worth $33.;p;p

It all depends on your own shopping skill. I once bought a T-shirt in St. Thomas for $12.50; when I got home I took it to a local souvenir shop where they told me it was worth $33.;p;p

Did you have the t-shirt professionally appraised in St. Thomas and when you got home? LOL!!!

DON

Anybody who has ever sold a diamond ring after a divorce finds out fast that the metal is worth more than the stone. It's a lousy investment for the average person. Diamonds' date=' particularly colored diamonds, are not rare.[/quote']

Not sure I agree with you first sentence as a general rule, but I bet it happens a lot. OTOH, I sure agree that there are many better investment options for the average person. The average person should probably run from anyone suggesting they make an investment in precious metals/gems. Just my opinion.

Agree completely.

So let's assume you bought that fabulous $10,000. ring for $5,000. You are VERY lucky if it is indeed worth $5K retail. You are even more fortunate if the weight and clarity is as described in the appraisal.

If it is worth $5K retail, try and sell it for that. You will be lucky to get $2000-$3000.

Simply go into a jewelry store that resells jewelry and ask what they will give you or what their cut will be on consignment. You will quickly find out the real re-sale value of your ring. It won't be $10,000...even with the appraisal you have that came with the ring when you bought it.