Cruise Jewelry

mrsfoose

I know jewelry is a hot topic when you are on the cruise ship.

Show me your favorite piece you’ve bought in the Caribbean - where you got it, what the gemstone is, and how much you paid.

Looking to find something really unique! We are visiting Dominican Republic, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk specifically - but I want to see all the pretties!

Any advice would be appreciate too [emoji184][emoji184][emoji184][emoji184]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Show me your favorite piece you’ve bought in the Caribbean - where you got it, what the gemstone is, and how much you paid.

Looking to find something really unique! We are visiting Dominican Republic, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk specifically - but I want to see all the pretties!

First thought -

Personally, I wouldn't be posting photos or information regarding what costly items I may (or may not) have in my house on a public forum.

Second thought -

Buying such things in a location that I have no way of returning them for repair or replacement isn't really that great an idea. Not to mention their idea of grading such pieces often isn't consistent to what the item would be graded back home at your local jeweler.

Well I won't show you anything that we've purchased nor will I say how much we've paid, as frankly that's our personal business. But I will say that in St. Thomas, our jeweler of choice is Imperial Jewelers. We've not purchased jewelry on any of the other islands you mention.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Well I won't show you anything that we've purchased nor will I say how much we've paid, as frankly that is no one's business but our own. But I will say that in St. Thomas, our jeweler of choice is Imperial Jewelers. We've not purchased jewelry on any of the other islands you mention.

Absolutely agree that pictures, prices and details are NOT appropriate, for a public forum. However, under the heading of 'general recommendations', we've had good luck with Cardow, on St.Thomas. When we first started cruising, Cardow was recommended by some friends, who were experienced cruisers. :cool:

While he may not actually have said it, remember the "caveat emptor" most often associated with PT Barnum:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

If you're anywhere near a coastal US major city, do some significant research and find a good independent jewelry maker who can make something for gemstones you've purchased from a truly reputable dealer overseas.

Occasionally, we'll buy loose exceptional gem stone(s) (unique to the port region we're visiting-e.g., opals in Sydney, lapis lazuli in Valpo or Lima, coral in Dalian, black pearls in Polynesia, etc) for a jewelry design to be made/set near home in SF.

BTW, Some of the best leads/recommendations for reputable gem sources have come from the cultural attaché at the visited region's American Embassy or Consulate.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Well I won't show you anything that we've purchased nor will I say how much we've paid, as frankly that's our personal business. But I will say that in St. Thomas, our jeweler of choice is Imperial Jewelers. We've not purchased jewelry on any of the other islands you mention.

It wasn’t meant to impede on anyone’s business. More of just wanting to make sure I’m getting a good deal, and buying at a quality place.

I only have one piece of jewelry, which is my wedding ring, so I have not the slightest clue when it comes to purchasing. I’ve had my eye on a blue diamond for awhile, but I know there are other stones unique to the Caribbean. I just have no idea what to pay for anything.

• Like 1

I bought an Ammolite ring in Grand Cayman

it was not expensive just something I liked

Tanzanite ring about $150 because I liked it

I do not buy expensive jewelry from the Islands

DH bought me a Lavender jade ring in Guatemala ...why because I liked it & he likes me ;)

It was worth what he paid for it when he checked it out at the local jeweler

It

I only have one piece of jewelry, which is my wedding ring, so I have not the slightest clue when it comes to purchasing. I’ve had my eye on a blue diamond for awhile, but I know there are other stones unique to the Caribbean. I just have no idea what to pay for anything.

I would say if you are looking for anything pricey like that & you know nothing about the quality of the stone I would find a reputable jeweler near you

The Caribbean shops can be hit or miss as far as the quality of diamonds are concerned

JMO

Bought my wife’s engagement ring there and many other things over the years , ring was appraised at well over our cost, have recommended this place to family.

I would say if you are looking for anything pricey like that & you know nothing about the quality of the stone I would find a reputable jeweler near you...

Seconded. This way, if there is ever a problem it can be assessed and taken care of for you right then and there. My husband bought me a diamond anniversary band some years back, and sadly within the first 24 hours, one of the diamonds fell out. I was crushed, but the reputable jeweler we dealt with replaced the diamond at no cost.

Being on a cruise and purchasing something special and sparkling is lovely and romantic, but for a substantial piece I would feel more comfortable shopping at home.

Bought my wife’s engagement ring there and many other things over the years , ring was appraised at well over our cost, have recommended this place to family.

Well, you were very lucky considering what an important purchase you made.

It wasn’t meant to impede on anyone’s business. More of just wanting to make sure I’m getting a good deal, and buying at a quality place.

I don't mean to offend but perhaps you should have worded your original posted question more carefully and more similar to your response to my post. Asking to see pictures, what the gemstone was, and what one paid for their purchase - wanting to "see all the pretties" - does suggest you want to know the details of one's personal purchases.

My original answer to you was more towards your follow up comment to me by suggesting the jeweler in St. Thomas that we have used successfully in the past. They have been in St. Thomas since 1980, are family owned, and IMO are reputable and will stand behind their merchandise.

Enjoy your cruise and your jewelry shopping.

If I had ever bought anything from outside the US (never have), I certainly would not post a picture of said items here or tell you the price.

We have a jeweler at home where we have bought a items. Can always count on them to repair anything we have.

Something to consider if you did a search on here -- some people have mentioned that when they got home, they have had items re-appraised and found them not to be worth what they paid.

Larimar is the only gemstone unique to the Caribbean, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are interested in. If you have no clue about assessing the quality and price of a gem, why would you buy from an unknown source and in a place you couldn't return to if you had a problem with the piece? You're really going to trust an anonymous person on the internet for advice on something that could be an expensive investment?

It's probably much safer to go to a reputable jeweller closer to home and work with them to choose a quality stone and setting that pleases you, at a price you can afford. BTW, do you know the difference between a natural blue diamond, a diamond that has been coloured blue, and a man made blue diamond?

OTOH, if you just want a "sparkly" as a souvenir that you can wear, and don't care if you are buying the real thing, then buy whatever strikes your fancy.

You don't have to go to the Caribbean for a blue diamond. Those can be found at many jewelers. Find an independant shop willing to show you different stones and explain the differences between them.

The jewelry I buy on vacation tends to be just something that catches my eye for a moderate price. I don't expect it to be 18k gold, or anything worth writing into my will. I make my "real" jewelry purchases close to home, at a jeweler I trust, where I have time to think the purchase through.

We bought some jewelry through the years in gthe Carfibbean , howevefr I won't be posting any photos.

We like and bought gold years ago when it sold for a very low $25 / ounce . Seeing it has very much incfeased in value, it is stored very safely in bank vault..

Edited by sail7seas

I like to buy inexpensive jewelry at street fairs or kiosks or tents by the road in the Caribbean. Or anywhere else around the world. I've met dozens of mother/daughter combos and groups of women who make & sell earrings, bracelets, pendants, etc, all over the islands. I'd much rather give them my cash than some large retail store!

There are port shopping lectures on board offering recommendations.

Many cruise lines recommend Diamonds International.........

I would prefer to use a local reputable jeweller, where I can return in case of problems.

The shopping lecturers would recommend you purchase the Brooklyn Bridge if somebody gave them a "promotional allowance" to make such a recommendation. On many cruise lines the port shopping lecturers are employed by a private company (who has a contract with the cruise line) who makes their money from fees paid by the merchants to be recommended. In some cases they also get a cut of any sales tied to the cruise ship. How do they know you are from a particular cruise ship? The store will often ask this information, or they will offer you a "free gift" which is often tied to a particular ship. Does this mean the recommended stores are bad? No, but they certainly may not be the best of have anything close to the best prices.

Hank

We do not wear expensive watches or jewelry when we travel. Including cruises.

If we buy jewelry, we buy it at home. From a trusted jeweler or from Costco (he now sends customers to Costco for diamonds).

We do not know anything about precious/semi precious stones, we cannot identify quality levels, hence we really do not know what we are buying and cannot determine if it is a good price or a bad price. Same with carat content of gold.

Our one experience was buying a gold piece in St. Thomas a few years ago. I asked for it to be weighed. It was. Then I asked for it be weighed on the scale at the back of the store near the repair area. You guessed it. The weight on the scale in the sales area was about 20 percent higher than the weight on the scale at the back. Coincidence???

We have also found the appraisal gig to be a bit of a scam. Really, who would sell us a $10K ring for $3K. It is nothing more than a sales tool and has no relation to actual value. We have had jewelers and an insurance adjuster regale us with stories about so called 'appraisals'.