"Horror on the High Seas" ? Really?

Peachy59

I wonder what would happen if she was at an all-inclusive resort during a hurricane. Ships are able to try and navigate around the worst areas and they do their best to do that. People always seem to forget that. I would like to see her interview if she was trapped in a room on an island during a big storm. Bottom line is.... If you want perfect weather all the time... Stay off the oceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

From what I remember and certainly stand to be corrected but I thought the captain sailed into the storm during the Feb sailing.

Many have sailed in rough sea and we should give the crew the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sailing through rough seas. Of course no one wants to have their cruise cancelled either, especially at the last minute. However these cruise lines will tell you over and over that passenger and crew safety is there primary goal. Not the food, not the entertainment, not the toilet paper in the public restrooms, it’s the passenger and crew safety!

So as a passenger, I take for granted that the cruise line, captain and crew are making informed and educated decisions as to proceed, or how to proceed. Their liability however is not negated just because of experience. No one goes into a restaurant with the expectation of getting food poisoning. If it happens though, the restaurant is still responsible. It doesn’t matter that “others” have eaten there before and haven’t had a problem. Or even that you ate seafood from the same buffet but didn’t get sick yourself.

I don’t want to armchair quarterback the captain. I don’t know what data was available to him at the time. Regardless it sounds like many fell ill as a result of the rough seas. I think if someone wants to take exception with RCI’s decision, they have the right. If someone else thinks the rough seas was just another day at the theme park, great. You saved yourself the $100 entrance fee!

You are my hero. I loved the champagne bar on the Jewel. I am sad that there isn't one on the Grandeur for my upcoming cruise. My bartender in the Champagne bar got a nice envelope on the last day from me....

The Champagne Bars on the Radiance class ships are the best! Amd so are the bartenders. :)

I'm very lucky I don't get seasick. This was at least my fourth cruise with really rough weather where many passengers were sick. My very first cruise in 1975 on the 17,000 gross ton NCL Southward sailed out through a tropical system that made many passengers too sick to go to the Captain's Cocktail Party. One of the bartenders told us that it was so bad on the last day of the previous cruise that many of the crew were sick. :eek:

We were on the Anthem last November and the seas were rough for 2-1/2 days. I didn't blame Royal because we chose to go onboard. But, I can tell you, we will not sail out of NJ again because it takes too long to get to the Caribbean and calmer waters.

On our sailing Royal did provide seasickness medicine to anyone who needed it. And, there were plenty of "barf" bags all over the common areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were on a small (former)RCCL ship Viking Serenade. It was Beaufort Scale 9 Gales. The wave felt at time as high as the ship. You could see the crests of the oncoming waves were above your eye level when you were on deck 9. Well that's what it felt like but with the lunging you'd never really know. You could make out the horizon. Foam everywhere. The Captain walked the ship all day providing reassurance. Still was a it scary.

Sounds like someone is trying to get some money back from RCCL, and using the media to try to help.

Especially when the TV crew is meeting her airport, after all that doesn't just happen randomly.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Sounds like someone is trying to get some money back from RCCL, and using the media to try to help.

Exactly, and when others see it I am sure they will join in.

We've been In one Hurricane and a few heavy storms in the past 17 years and thought whoever was doing the filming seemed to have a very steady footing. If you notice the horizon was almost dead steady which shows the ship was performing very well.

On our hurricane cruise if you looked out your window one minute all you could see would be water, the next moment all you could see was sky and unless you were lashed to a railing you would not be able to just stand there filming.

She probably didn't know she was going out into the open ocean and expected the captain could easily follow the sunshine for the entire cruise.

OMO

bosco

PS. We had a ball once the blow was over.

Edited by boscobeans

I was on that sailing. The captain had a video on loop, updated at least daily, from the moment we got to our cabin. He had an interactive map and showed the storm's predicted path, Anthem's usual path and our planned path. Everything he showed us made perfect sense. We went due East at top speed - left an hour early too - then turned right/South early Sunday am.

I was in the Solarium (front row seat) early and watched us enter the edge of the storm. By 11 am we were rocking and rolling but by 4 pm it was much better- just as he said it would.

The staff was all great. No complaints from me.

I wonder what would happen if she was at an all-inclusive resort during a hurricane. Ships are able to try and navigate around the worst areas and they do their best to do that. People always seem to forget that. I would like to see her interview if she was trapped in a room on an island during a big storm. Bottom line is.... If you want perfect weather all the time... Stay off the oceans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

VERY true! I sail during hurricane season and know what to expect. Just got off Freedom last Sunday after all the hype about Hermine and Invest99. We had slightly rough seas the first night and wind the first day but after that the weather was perfect. We were in a Cat 5 in Cancun 2007 in a resort. Yes, being trapped in a room was pretty scary. Especially whn they cut off alcohol service LOL

Out of 15 cruises that i have gone on in the last 30 years, i have only seen waves the size of those one day only about 20 years ago. Those were 15-20 ft on average with maybe a 30 footer once in a while. By no means was it fun but everyone was safe. We just could not go outside, and this was a much smaller ship. Carnival triump.

I think I was on that same cruise, because I remember walking in the hallways and it was impossible. A lot of sick people. I still talk about it. :eek:

From what I remember and certainly stand to be corrected but I thought the captain sailed into the storm during the Feb sailing.

Oh yeah, I'm sure the captain deliberately decided to sail directly in the storm! It was probably fun, right? You know, I think the 14 hours he spent in the bridge was just his dream. I wonder if he also dreamed of being removed from Anthem after the incident. :rolleyes:

Whether it be the fact that weather reports were changing/conflicting prior to the start of the cruise, bad judgment, or a corporate decision, the captain didn't just decide to sail right into the center of it.

I wonder if the same people who are complaining about rough seas would be complaining if Royal cancelled their cruise?

Are only happy positive comments exceptable on cruise critic?

No, but overdramatic, and sometimes senseless, posts might receive some backlash. :cool:

We sailed on Explorer of the Seas 20/28/12 sailing right into Hurricane Sandy.

My sister and I were also on the "Hurricane Sandy" cruise. We were also on the Anthem this past February when we hit the big storm and had to turn back to Bayonne amid all the nation-wide publicity. Yes, seas were high. Yes, the wind was fierce. Yes, we rocked and rolled. But we never felt we were in mortal danger. I guess we must be gluttons for punishment, because we have scheduled our Anthem "do-over" cruise for NEXT February! Stay tuned....:D

Checking out news stories on this, one quotes

"At least one other cruise ship was also in the area."

Haven't heard any other reports from a different ship.

Any idea who it was?

Norwegian Dawn left Boston on Friday and got to Bermuda on Sunday. That might be the ship the news story is referring to.

I'm not going to defend her - she over-reacted once she got to Bermuda. Should have stuck it out, the storm was gone on the way back. And HORROR on the high seas? For God's sake. Gimme a break. Discomfort on the high seas more like it.

Having said that though, I wonder why RCI didn't re-direct the ship to a New England/Canada cruise. The weather was beautiful up in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and (I assume) Maine. They've done that before so it really is a bit of a head scratcher for me. Looking at the videos, I would think that they should have done that.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I'm not going to defend her - she over-reacted once she got to Bermuda. Should have stuck it out, the storm was gone on the way back. And HORROR on the high seas? For God's sake. Gimme a break. Discomfort on the high seas more like it.

Having said that though, I wonder why RCI didn't re-direct the ship to a New England/Canada cruise. The weather was beautiful up in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and (I assume) Maine. They've done that before so it really is a bit of a head scratcher for me. Looking at the videos, I would think that they should have done that.

Had we gone to New England/Canada the issue would have been coming back. When we left Bayonne, the storm was predicted to be stalled off New York/New Jersey into Wednesday and then move up towards NE. We would have been coming directly into what was left of the storm in order to get to Bayonne. If it was a longer cruise, it might have been a viable solution, but it was only a 5 night cruise.