US visa waiver

I think this has always been the case. If you are a US citizen, you are, expected to file a US tax return. There is a tax exempt amount you can earn in another country, if you can prove you have held residency outside the US, in said country for more than 150 days (?) and I believe for a Australian/US dual citizen the amount of exempt earnings is $108,000. Not sure if that sum also applies to other nationalities. Trying to file 2 lots of tax returns when the tax years don't coincide is a PITA!

Interesting to hear of USA tax returns. As a self funded retiree, I filed my last tax return when I turned 60. I do not have to pay any more tax as I don't have investment properties, stocks and shares. I have donated my superannuation dollars to the various cruise companies in the past 12 years. lol. Rather give it to Carnival Corp than the Australian Taxation Office, lol.

Donald T might give the old folk a tax break.

OK, so we have decided to go ahead with planned cruise to SP and Hawaiian Islands and back. Started to fill out ESTA Visa waiver form, but I think the heat got to me and had to stop. If anyone has recently filled out one for a cruise I have 2 questions:-

1. How do you complete the US address and contact when you are cruising?

2. Yes or No for "do you have a current or previous employer"? If you mark No (being retired) to me that indicates your have never worked, whereas Yes would indicate you are still working which is not correct in either case.

Why do public servants design such complicated forms? That's as far as I got when I gave up.:confused:

OK, so we have decided to go ahead with planned cruise to SP and Hawaiian Islands and back. Started to fill out ESTA Visa waiver form, but I think the heat got to me and had to stop. If anyone has recently filled out one for a cruise I have 2 questions:-

2. Yes or No for "do you have a current or previous employer"? If you mark No (being retired) to me that indicates your have never worked, whereas Yes would indicate you are still working which is not correct in either case.

Why do public servants design such complicated forms? That's as far as I got when I gave up.:confused:

I just redid mine. I put unknown in the US address. I would put yes as you did have a previous employer I'm assuming .

Did mine a couple of weeks ago. Had emailed and asked as I also have not worked for 5 years.

As we are staying on for 4 extra nights after the cruise I put the address of the hotel.

Re employer, I put my last employer which is following what they told me in the email. For a friend who hasn't worked for 40 plus years I put unknown.

I applied for 4 in a group application, didn't receive any notification that it was approved, I just checked the website a couple of days later and all ok.

Yes, of course. but it will most likely be served in plastic cups at outrageous prices.:D

Hooray, another common issue. prices at US football/baseball/whatever are way high.

Both, although it may depend on the breed.

i.e if the dog is a Labrador, it can come in as a Canadian. :p

Good one :D Sadly, the dog is of Dutch heritage (a Keeshond). Are there any exceptions for them? maybe we can use him to vouch for us?? he is very cute and sweet ;)

ML

1. We put care of Princess Cruises.

2. I sold my company around 18 years ago, but I put in that name as it was my last employer.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Hooray, another common issue. prices at US football/baseball/whatever are way high.
Probably goes without saying for anywhere in the world.

Good one :D Sadly, the dog is of Dutch heritage (a Keeshond). Are there any exceptions for them? maybe we can use him to vouch for us?? he is very cute and sweet ;)

ML

The Dutch can come in as well, you know that they speak English better than many other countries where English is the main language but they do share a border with Belgians.:eek:

Malcolm T and Donald T had a blue on the phone today over refugees. Way things USA are going they will have no Allies. What next ? ESTA's gone? Full visa for Land of the Free? The mind boggles.

Google Washington Post Trump Turnbull for report on the conversation. Makes interesting reading.

Google Washington Post Trump Turnbull for report on the conversation. Makes interesting reading.

Several of my US friends posted that link on my FB page this morning. Turnbull needs to get a backbone and stand up to Trump. He is a classic bully who needs to be reminded how valuable an ally Australia is. Trump has also just posted on Twitter about the deal President Obama made to take 'thousands' of illegals for Australia.

Several of my US friends posted that link on my FB page this morning. Turnbull needs to get a backbone and stand up to Trump. He is a classic bully who needs to be reminded how valuable an ally Australia is. Trump has also just posted on Twitter about the deal President Obama made to take 'thousands' of illegals for Australia.

I agree President Trump is a classic bully, who doesn't appreciate his loyal allys. The sooner he learns that he is the President of only one country the better.

Now that he has put comments on Twitter, it is time for our PM to speak out!

I feel sorry for the poor refugees caught up in this debacle.

Malcolm T and Donald T had a blue on the phone today over refugees. Way things USA are going they will have no Allies. What next ? ESTA's gone? Full visa for Land of the Free? The mind boggles.

Not good at all,

BTW, it takes two to have a blue otherwise it is just a rant.

Yeah, but someone with power and a lot of friends.

I don't think standing up to Trump would have done anything better for Turnbull's goals. As you mentioned with the tweet, he doesn't like to 'back down.'

Given today's events, I'm starting to regret booking Anthem from NJ to Canada/New England in September. At least we are travelling all the way to NYC and back with Qantas.

Although I like the country, I feel like minimizing my spend in US over the next few years.

Given today's events, I'm starting to regret booking Anthem from NJ to Canada/New England in September. At least we are travelling all the way to NYC and back with Qantas.

Although I like the country, I feel like minimizing my spend in US over the next few years.

agreed. People are canceling left right and centre from Canada. If we weren't meeting friends and it being our 20th, I'd cancel Solstice. But that will be our only venture into the US.

"There are too many other interesting countries to visit without jumping through hoops".

I completely agree! With all the Donald activity, the visits to the USA from us have been curtailed, luckily we had no bookings to cancel, but the planning has stopped. No off to find the Atlas to pick somewhere else...

"There are too many other interesting countries to visit without jumping through hoops".

I completely agree! With all the Donald activity, the visits to the USA from us have been curtailed, luckily we had no bookings to cancel, but the planning has stopped. No off to find the Atlas to pick somewhere else...

The world is your Oyster.:D

Remarkably, even turkey seems a more reasonable prospect now.:eek: