US visa waiver

PS: Please know that more than half of the US did not support this buffoon and be kind to us when we visit your country.

On our FNQ cruise I'm sure we'll have many a drinkie at the Sunset bar talking about far more pleasant things.

PS: I may be a bit late arriving, but may well see you on the 12th.

Right lets solve this logically.

Build the first wall. (We can all contribute to this)

Secondly get Canada to build a wall as well.(We can contribute here as well)

OK, now we can visit South America and Canada.

Get some direct flights happening, some cruises happening.

All we do is by-pass the bit in the middle. EASY.

If you have contributed financially, you get a double your money back incentives, such as discounted (free maybe) flights, accom, food sight-seeing etc,etc.

We can really kick-start the tourism dollar and visitation numbers for South America and Canada, and visa versa.

We could even start a new promotion, with reciprocal tourism advertising.

Print stickers, such as I Love my Canuck and Latino friends.

Tee shirts etc.

Of course we also must feel and be very protective of our American peoples, as they plunge into something, I'm sure many don't agree with.

Funny, How The World Turns isn't it.:):)

We are the same. We have holidayed in America in 2014 and 2016 and we were planning a holiday in 2018 (rafting/camping in the Grand Canyon, four days in Yosemite, an Alaska cruise and Universal Studios). Last night we decided that we can't justify spending our holiday dollars in America whilst this is going on. Thankfully we are at an early stage of the planning however we may lose our deposit on a Celebrity cruise.

We lost $100, we had booked a low deposit fare with an agent on a Celebrity cruise sailing 29 April 2018 Hawaii to Vancouver. We were then planning on doing a Route 66 tour. All up we would have been away 5-6 weeks and spent probably $20k, most of this would have been spent in the US. My cousin was planning a road trip of the southern states, and another friend cancelled her NCL Pride of America cruise around Hawaii.

I think I have been seven times previously, most recently in 2015. I love the States, and I have some great friends there, so hopefully I can go back one day.

On our FNQ cruise I'm sure we'll have many a drinkie at the Sunset bar talking about far more pleasant things.

PS: I may be a bit late arriving, but may well see you on the 12th.

Great--it sounds like it will be quite a fun group! Lots of drinks required with nice people and more pleasant topics :D

ML

If you have contributed financially, you get a double your money back incentives, such as discounted (free maybe) flights, accom, food sight-seeing etc,etc.

We can really kick-start the tourism dollar and visitation numbers for South America and Canada, and visa versa.

Tee shirts etc.

Of course we also must feel and be very protective of our American peoples, as they plunge into something, I'm sure many don't agree with.

Go for it--especially the tee shirts :)

ML

I started this thread as we have a cruise booked for this August to South Pacific including Hawaiian Islands. What concerns me is the rapid rate he is signing exec orders and changes are occurring overnight. Our substantial deposit is not refundable after February 4. Hopefully the Visa waiver remains good for us folks downunder.

Hi all

As an American reading your posts, I don't know what to say. But I do believe that if all of you, and other reasonable people around the world, hold back their dollars, that may be the best message to send. That is all that the people in charge value or pay attention to.

I will give you all the same advice we here in the US (who didn't vote for this fiasco) give each other--this too shall pass. We hope.

ML

PS: Please know that more than half of the US did not support this buffoon and be kind to us when we visit your country.

Cheers ML, have already started our relatively small protest.:D

I started this thread as we have a cruise booked for this August to South Pacific including Hawaiian Islands. What concerns me is the rapid rate he is signing exec orders and changes are occurring overnight. Our substantial deposit is not refundable after February 4. Hopefully the Visa waiver remains good for us folks downunder.

As it currently stands you may well be fine (no dual citizenship, no visits to banned countries, etc,) however, who knows what will be implemented and when once the review has taken place.

This is making me feel very uncomfortable too.

We have visited the US many times and I have flights booked and completely paid for a cruise from NJ to Canada/New England in September. I could probably change these for a few hundred dollars fee.

Have only paid deposit on the cruise so far.

Watching to see what happens next. :(

Tee shirts etc.

They thought Ronald Reagan would be a dud and he was not, so let's give Donald a chance.

When we entered the US at LAX in November, we had brand new passports, we got the third degree as they were not registered in the Land of he Free.

Edited by NSWP

Yes, we are quite worried about the rate of EOs too. From what I am reading here, there is no threat to Australians (holding Australian passports). It appears as though the adults have stepped in and backed off some of the changes. I believe you will be fine, particularly if Trump has any businesses down there. (Some US news outlets, real ones :), are reporting that the 7 countries included have no Trump business interests, while other countries that pose a greater threat do, but aren't on the list). I can't explain it, but we are starting to think we should all remain calm and it will be OK.

I understand your reluctance to visit the US, but you should only cancel if your principles argue for that. If you just want a nice vacay, come and see us. You will find lots of sympathetic Americans here.

Who knew the US could fall so far, so fast. I weep for our country...

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

The exclusion also includes people who have visited one of the seven 'banned' countries in the last five years unless it was on government business. We visited Libya, but it was well over five years ago so we are OK, but it would be silly (IMO) to have that prevent us getting the ESTA visa waiver.:)

The exclusion also includes people who have visited one of the seven 'banned' countries in the last five years unless it was on government business. We visited Libya, but it was well over five years ago so we are OK, but it would be silly (IMO) to have that prevent us getting the ESTA visa waiver.:)

As far as ESTA visa waiver is concerned, that has been in force for almost a year.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

I haven't seen that but I'm sure you're correct. I think cooler heads will prevail and it will be fine, but we all must keep calm and be patient. I am hoping we are allowed back into the US when we return form our Australia/NZ cruises :D

But I hear Australia is quite a nice place to live, and we are financially solvent. The dog will be home, so need to get him to us :) Maybe we can apply for asylum? :D

ML

I am also very concerned for my daughter in her early twenties. She is going on a study tour and will be working with the paramedics in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego (unpaid).

Just really worried. Could be quite a bit for a young adult to cope with. No mixes in her background fortunately. She already has her ESTA, but I worry that they will suddenly decide she needs a visa.

I haven't seen that but I'm sure you're correct. I think cooler heads will prevail and it will be fine, but we all must keep calm and be patient. I am hoping we are allowed back into the US when we return form our Australia/NZ cruises :D

But I hear Australia is quite a nice place to live, and we are financially solvent. The dog will be home, so need to get him to us :) Maybe we can apply for asylum? :D

ML

Now that would be funny.:D

I will give you all the same advice we here in the US (who didn't vote for this fiasco) give each other--this too shall pass. We hope.

I'm very sympathetic to your situation, and mindful of the numbers.

As the saying goes, what can you do?

I wouldn't expect any 'boycott' to have any effect; it would just get dressed up as fake news, or alternate facts, or similar...

I also think it will be quite interesting to see if this has any impact on the US owned cruise companies. I bet they will be watching carefully to see if there is an impact on cruises booked/cancelled by non-US citizens, even for cruises outside the US.

NoWhiners - as long as you support at lease one football code, I'm sure you would be welcome here :)

Edited by lucymorgan

OK my experience.

I recently got a new ESTA. The existing one had expired.

I have never been to any of the listed countries.

I have travelled to USA many times, including when you actually had to apply for a visa ie pre visa-waiver & pre ESTA.

I flew from Sydney on Sunday (29th) direct to DFW on Q A-380.

I arrived in DFW on Sunday (29th).

I was processed thru as normal.

The driver who was collecting me couldn't pick me up as he couldn't get a park at the airport.

I received a welcoming crowd as I tried to exit the terminal by the anti-Trump brigade. OK, they weren't there for me!

Since I arrived I have been 'briefed' by people who stand on both sides of the argument. On my ride from the airport I was told that there is evidence that refutes that 911 was carried out by Muslims. One of my colleagues here tells me that Trump is doing just what he was elected to do.

So, go figure.

They thought Ronald Reagan would be a dud and he was not, so let's give Donald a chance.

When we entered the US at LAX in November, we had brand new passports, we got the third degree as they were not registered in the Land of he Free.

In 2015, we had our fingerprints taken in LAX and that was a first. The DHS is certainly vigilant.

We have had our fingerprints taken on flights into LA and (I think) also when we flew into New York. :) However, when we arrived in New York by ship - no fingerprints.

Correct, same as Princess LA Cruise Terminal @ San Pedro, no facilities for printing, photographing when we arrived back there from Central America - Panama Canal in December.

I don't blame Donald for imposing these dual nationality sanctions. Wish we would do it here. You come to OZ you have an Aussie passport only, end of story. Love it or Leave it.

I was born in the UK, but what the !@#$%^&* do I want a UK passport for? That's why I don't have one. Been here 51 years.

Edited by NSWP

I am also very concerned for my daughter in her early twenties. She is going on a study tour and will be working with the paramedics in Las Vegas, Los Angeles and San Diego (unpaid).

Just really worried. Could be quite a bit for a young adult to cope with. No mixes in her background fortunately. She already has her ESTA, but I worry that they will suddenly decide she needs a visa.

She will be right as rain with the ESTA, she is a fair dinkum Strayan. Tell her just to speak nicely to Homeland Security in the Land of the Free.

One of the broader concerns is that with the review proposed is that ESTA will be revoked, or at least suspended. Even those already issued.

In such a situation, we would all be lining up at the consulate or embassy to get visas. I had to do that when I went to the US as a grad student. Even had to do it in the mid 70s as a tourist. Not efficient.