Taking cake onto Silhouette at hone port

fizzy1

Just curious -- do you realize that Celebrity offers sugar-free dessert options? Not only will the main dining room, Luminae and Blu offer sugar-free options, but you will also find them at the Cafe al Bacio and Ocean View buffet.

Yes, i do know they offer sugar free cookies etc but a friend who is a fantastic baker has baked me a wonderful fruit cake for the cruise so i don’t like to tell her that i didn’t take it and put it in the freezer and i am not a good lier and say it was wonderful ,it will be gorgeous as i know !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there, will there be a problem in me bringing a homemade cake onto Silhouette from home port in Southampton as i am diabetic and it is sugar free?

Depending on port it may be a problem, they usually don’t allow you to take on unpackaged items.

Why ask on this forum? I could say no problem and it doesn’t mean anything

Call Celebrity and the port authorities.

Other than that why bother with bringing a cake? Is it really necessary to have a cake? I would hope that you could survive a few days without cake.

I am not a diabetic and i really don’t know how long it has been since I had a piece of cake. It is not a essential diet requirement. Now beer is. The monks considered it liquid bread, water , grain, and yeast. I think they needed it to be content.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

I would tell your friend that although you absolutely would love to have her cake, the cruiseline prohibits taking these types of food onboard and that you'll put it in the freezer so you can enjoy it when you return. No one really needs to take a cake on their cruise. Everything you'll want, is right there in abundance.

I eat gluten free and bring a bag of bagels with me. I have done this last three cruises and have had no problems. I even take one to Luminae or MDR for breakfast.

Just curious how a fruit cake can be sugar free? All that fruit is loaded with sugar. Do they sell sugar free candied fruit? Anyway, your cake sounds good!

Bonnie

Hi there, will there be a problem in me bringing a homemade cake onto Silhouette from home port in Southampton as i am diabetic and it is sugar free?

I have taken homemade shortbread and biscuits on the ship in Southampton without any problem, as I hate the soggy middle biscuits they have on the ship

I eat gluten free and bring a bag of bagels with me. I have done this last three cruises and have had no problems. I even take one to Luminae or MDR for breakfast.

Just curious how a fruit cake can be sugar free? All that fruit is loaded with sugar. Do they sell sugar free candied fruit? Anyway, your cake sounds good!

Bonnie

Its made with no added sugar just the sweetness of the fruit , so yes, its not sugar free

The special needs department told me that perishable foods can't be brought on board (even if they are packaged).

No home-baked fruit cake but we did take a box of perishable, packaged foods (crisps, biscuits - US: chips, cookies - peanuts, etc) onto the ship at Southampton. The box had been searched when it reached our suite but nothing removed.

Other than that why bother with bringing a cake? Is it really necessary to have a cake? I would hope that you could survive a few days without cake.

For some, a cruise is one time in a year to indulge on things you love but resist most of the time. For Brits who happen to love a US-centric cruise line, our indulgences may not be available. US tastes are different to those in the UK. US crisps/chips, biscuit/cookies and, especially, cake are not the same as available in the UK. A Southampton-based cruise is an opportunity to enable such cruise enhancements.

It is not necessarily a case of "surviving".

Celebrity cater well for diabetics, so unless it is a cake you particularly like,why bother ? My sister is diabetic and she had her 'own diabetic menu' to choose from each evening in the MDR,even the cakes and cookies in Cafe-el-Bacio have a selection for diabetics. Enjoy.......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I saw a wedding cake come aboard in a port recently. They were required to send it through the metal detector along with the wedding dress and flowers.

I would not expect you to have any problem but as others said you might want to call Celebrity to make sure.