Maya Chan review - any Questions?

tmn1016

Between here and Trip Advisor, the reviews are stellar. It sounds like a very nice day. The question I have is that I am not a big drinker. One drink, possibly 2, would be plenty for me. Knowing that would it still be decent value to spend the $120 for 2 people?

Hey Rick,

Maya Chan isn’t a huge party spot. It’s very relaxing, laid back, low key. Drinks are included, but the lunch is amazing, the owners and staff treat you like family. Hang out, play Jenga, paddle board, sit at the bar and talk to other guests, and the staff, get a massage, climb up and charge your phone in the tree house, go in the water- lay on the floating platform, or in the chairs...its definitely not all about the drinks. The place is so relaxing, I never wanted to leave. Do it! Worth every penny!:cool:

Can anyone report on how the new seagrass booms are working at MC? Mark has responded to several new reviews on Trip Advisor that they have just installed those to help with keeping seagrass away from the beach. Just hoping for some customer feedback!

Thanks!

LaRose

Between here and Trip Advisor, the reviews are stellar. It sounds like a very nice day. The question I have is that I am not a big drinker. One drink, possibly 2, would be plenty for me. Knowing that would it still be decent value to spend the $120 for 2 people?

Last trip I had maybe two drinks. The food, experience, activities is well worth it. They are checking on you every 15-30 minutes to see if you need anything. Haven't received that attention ANYWHERE on any island for what they charge. It will always be my only place to go in Costa Maya!

I was there in December with a group of six of us. Our 4th time there, The food was awesome, drinks were watered down and massages were not very good. We were disappointed. Will be back in two weeks and hoping the experience is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last trip I had maybe two drinks. The food, experience, activities is well worth it. They are checking on you every 15-30 minutes to see if you need anything. Haven't received that attention ANYWHERE on any island for what they charge. It will always be my only place to go in Costa Maya!

We went in March 2017 and were a party of 6 (3 adults and 3 tweens) and only 1 person in our party drank alcohol. My husband and I are diet coke (,coke lite) drinkers and the kids slammed back at least $40 worth each of smoothies (Oreo being our daughters favorite) and virgin drinks.

The guac and chips...SO good! We had fish and pork tacos for lunch...yum! I had emailed when I reserved that the kids in are party were picky and he asked what they would like as to make sure they would enjoy their time...we asked for hot dogs and fries! They had hot dogs especially prepared for the 3 tweens!!

I used to avoid port stops in Costa maya, after being to Maya Chan, I would look for ones specifically to go there.

I'm happy to read that the roads are fixed but Ivjyst thought it added to the adventure. I grew up on rural Tennessee with pitted gravel roads were normal everyday commutes so this was nothing. The kids got a laugh out of the overly dramatic "city folk" who shared our van from the pier... it was really cool to see the ocean during our drive there and back.

Nice to get out of the touristy area. I don't think that we've ever had any better service any where EVER. My brother who went with us (the drinker) who is tight with a buck said he would have paid twice what we paid...

The kids gave it 6 thumbs up as they sipped their smoothies in the hammock or played in the sand in our little corner of the world (they will deny ever playing in the sand..)

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We have been to Maya Chan twice about 5 years apart. Last time January of 2018. The day is wonderful. It is very laid back, not at all crowded, with lots of attention by the attendants. They bring drinks and snacks where ever you are, including floating in the water.

You have your own private area to park your stuff. Internet is available throughout. Food is good.

Tipping is put in a box on your way out. I've seen people try to give one person money and they put it in the box and say something like we all share the work and the tip. Only exception is for the massage. You can split the hour massage with two people at the same time. I believe we also tip the van driver something.

Only negative for me is the bumpy road. And the distance. did not time it, but a good half hour ride in a van. Five years ago ride was in a fun covered wagon, but still bumpy. I do think the bumps are worse than 5 years ago.

They will ask you what time you want to leave and have the van ready for you at that time. They ask what ship you are on and what time it leaves and will tell you the last time you can leave.

We are going again in January of 19. They make it a day to remember.

Looking forward to our 7th visit to Maya Chan next week! We are also scheduled to visit again in Oct, so I will be back with updates and answer any questions.

As always,

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Looking forward to here your review and update on Maya Chan!

Just back from Maya Chan. The place is in great shape even though a tropical storm moved through the area early last week. David indicated they had to work hard to clean up and get the resort back to normal.

The road is better than in the past, but because of the storm, new pot holes have appeared. The travel time from the port to the resort is right at 20 minutes.

The food was wonderful, drinks galore and it seemed as though new staff members have been added. Speaking of staff, they are happy, and ready to please!

Water was a bit brown (because of the storm), but it didn't seem to slow down the guests. Small amounts of sea grass around, but not a problem.

We will return again next month and give you an update.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

We were just there yesterday, Beautiful beach, amazing food, good drinks and very good service. The sea grass was not too bad, staff keep the beach very clean. Water was brown but sitting in a floaty chair with a margarita was still a great day!:D

Sherri:)

We were just there yesterday, Beautiful beach, amazing food, good drinks and very good service. The sea grass was not too bad, staff keep the beach very clean. Water was brown but sitting in a floaty chair with a margarita was still a great day!:D

Do you have any pics? I am counting down the days until I go (76 days) and I am living vicariously through these reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were there in March. The road was pretty bad. How was the road yesterday?

• 3 weeks later...

hi just made a last minute booking here for my cruise in 2 weeks  i have been emailing back and forth with mark i paid in full and he is telling me no tickets or anything  just show up? can someone please tell me the process when we get off the ship

thanks

You should have received very detailed instructions from them as an email attachment. You walk through the port to the taxi stand. Someone will be there from maya chan. Tell them your name and number in party. They check your name from their list, they get you a cab, tell the driver where to go (sometimes they put another party with you depending on vehicle size) and off you go.

The instructions include the best route through the port.

20 minutes ago, lajbec said:

You should have received very detailed instructions from them as an email attachment. You walk through the port to the taxi stand. Someone will be there from maya chan. Tell them your name and number in party. They check your name from their list, they get you a cab, tell the driver where to go (sometimes they put another party with you depending on vehicle size) and off you go.

The instructions include the best route through the port.

thank you!   i just emailed back to ask about the instructions that i didnt receive 

Here are last instructions we got from May:

After you disembark, walk or take the trolley to the terminal building, entering through the arch.  Follow the exit signs , some have wooden doors that you just open. The port has been remodeling without any consideration for thousands of passengers that come everyday. They also want to keep guests inside the complex and may close off an exit and not tell anyone.Exit through the security gate.  There is only one.  Walk down the center promenade towards the genuenly authentic fake Mayan Pyramid straight ahead.  Look to the right. Our representative will be in uniform and standing next to a Maya Chan Beach sign. They will arrange transportation for you.

Basically, walk out the back of the port where the cabs and tour buses park.  Walk towards that fake ruin and and Maya Chan rep will be waiting a little ways down on the right side.  They met us in front of a little store where we picked up some water.

But wait for SPECIFIC instructions from Mark because some of the detials might have changed, like the construction part.  But the meeting place has been for the same for us that past two trips.