Our cruise consultant won't let us upgrade. :(

put me on a ship

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and I will try to explain so it makes sense.

We are booked in an interior cabin on the Escape, with the perks of shore excursion credit and $50 OBC. (We are after final payment). The balcony guaranty has dropped, and we want to upgrade for $40 PP, with no perks. We would rather have a bigger room than the credits.

My PCC is telling me she can't do it because we already have a shore excursion booked to use our shore excursion credit, even after I told her we would be willing to pay for the excursion now. She is saying I have to cancel the excursion, then MAYBE she can upgrade, but we would also have to pay more in port fees and taxes. She also said it probably would NOT work, and that we would have to upgrade to the next balcony category for an additional $210 PP with perks, and even that might not work.

I know I've paid to upgrade before, after final payment. This is a new cruise consultant for us, so is she giving us the runaround? Or is it a new policy for NCL? The cost isn't the issue, really, but it's the principle.

What say you all?

I have updated after making the final payment with no problem. My travel agent just called NCL to inquire about the new rate. Maybe things have changed recently. Once I updated, I did have to pay the higher amount for taxes and fees if it increased.

That's not right. I just upgraded from an ocean view to a mid ship balcony two days ago and I'm past final payment. I had to pay $39 per person plus whatever the increased amount was on my insurance and on the DSC. it came to just over $199. The beauty thing was that I got to keep all my current promos, plus I got an additional $200 in onboard credit, a bottle of wine, and chocolate covered strawberries. Take a look at what the current promos are on your sailing, and then call back to upgrade to a regular balcony instead of a guarantee. If this PCC is too lazy to do her job, then you need to politely but firmly go over her head to her supervisor.

We upgraded over this weekend, no problems, all my bookings for shore excursions moved over. Although i am still working thorugh the shore excurion credit details for the slide over for the promo credits to be applied....don't give up on this, sounds like something is amiss...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and I will try to explain so it makes sense.

We are booked in an interior cabin on the Escape, with the perks of shore excursion credit and $50 OBC. (We are after final payment). The balcony guaranty has dropped, and we want to upgrade for $40 PP, with no perks. We would rather have a bigger room than the credits.

My PCC is telling me she can't do it because we already have a shore excursion booked to use our shore excursion credit, even after I told her we would be willing to pay for the excursion now. She is saying I have to cancel the excursion, then MAYBE she can upgrade, but we would also have to pay more in port fees and taxes. She also said it probably would NOT work, and that we would have to upgrade to the next balcony category for an additional $210 PP with perks, and even that might not work.

I know I've paid to upgrade before, after final payment. This is a new cruise consultant for us, so is she giving us the runaround? Or is it a new policy for NCL? The cost isn't the issue, really, but it's the principle.

What say you all?

Are you CAS? If you upgrade from a inside offer you only receive inside offer perks. Doesn't matter if you upgrade to Haven you don't get any new perks

Are you CAS? If you upgrade from a inside offer you only receive inside offer perks. Doesn't matter if you upgrade to Haven you don't get any new perks

No, not CAS. I tried talking to someone different, which was her team lead. He is standing by what she said. I think I will call tomorrow and ask for a new cruise consultant. I feel like she is just blowing us off.

I really miss the cruise consultant I had before. He was awesome. So awesome he got promoted. :(

She probably will lose some commissions if you switch. You can always try calling the cruise line direct, and see if they’ll work with you. Explain the situation to them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe that it depends on what fare type you are booked under and what fare type you’re trying to upgrade to. I’ve had situations when we were able to upgrade free of charge because the balcony price had dropped below the cost of our original Oceanview stateroom. But on a different occasion, I was trying to upgrade from an Oceanview to a mini suite when prices dropped to a $40pp difference. The agent told us that the promotional rate was for new bookings only and if we wanted to upgrade to a mini suite, we would need to pay $200pp extra so we declined. I’m guessing that your situation may be similar to what we encountered were booked passengers couldn’t take advantage of a promotional, new reservations only fare.

Incorrect. This is paying the full fare for a higher class room. You would get the perks of the room you are paying full fare for.

You do not get the upgraded perks if you do the Upgrade Advantage and get a discounted upgrade.

CAS is even easier to pay for a higher room at any time after full payment. They will just do it.

How strange. I just upgraded our aft balcony to a Haven spa suite a few days ago, and our cruise is just six weeks from now. We also had an excursion booked prior as well. All I had to do was pay the difference. Our PCC even made sure we got the new promo and freebies.

CAS will give you all the perks (all 5) of the Haven if you upgrade there, plus you keep the discount of the cost whatever room you were comped or a set published amount (depends on cruise and ship), I've booked that way 3 times now. But if you upgrade to say a balcony, you do not get the additional perks. That is what I did on my next cruise. Kept only one perk even though I moved from Inside to balcony.

Try upgrading to a different level of balcony. Sometimes upgrading to the guarantee causes issues after final payment. They basically have to cancel and rebook. There was a similar post about a month ago. However, it will likely cost more too than the going rate for a guarantee.

Call back and talk to a different person.

Bump. I agree. We've had nothing but frustration and difficulty using a PCC. The name "Personal Cruise Consultant" suggests that they have intimate knowledge of your sailing when in fact they don't know you from a hole in the hull...evidenced by the fact that you have to tell them all the things about you and your cruise whenever you call to speak with them just like you would if it was a cold call into the call center.

We never use a PCC.

What say you all?

I will change to a different cruise consultant! Mine is the BEST!!! He upgraded me and continues to help me find better options for my Apr 29 cruise in the Mediterranean. Try to give NCL a call and change your consultant. If a different consultant also says says you can’t do it, at least try to get the best explanation as to why. But I really don’t think that’ll be the case! Good Luck!

Edited by migdaliapr

I will change to a different cruise consultant! Mine is ------- and he is the BEST!!! He upgraded me and continues to help me find better options for my Apr 29 cruise in the Mediterranean. Try to give him a call and let him know I referred you to him. If he says you can’t do it, at least you’ll get the best explanation as to why. But I really don’t think that’ll be the case! Good Luck!

Mine, too. And yes, he is THE BEST. But we aren't allowed to post the names of PCC's on here, so this will be deleted. :D

Edited by LrgPizza

Mine, too. And yes, he is THE BEST. But we aren't allowed to post the names of PCC's on here, so this will be deleted. :D

Sorry! Didn’t know that rule! Rookie mistake! I edited to delete names. I still think the consultant is wrong and maybe there is a learning curve which should be verified with another consultant. Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry! Didn’t know that rule! Rookie mistake! I edited to delete names. I still think the consultant is wrong and maybe there is a learning curve which should be verified with another consultant. Thanks for the heads up!

Can I delete it myself? The only option I have is to edit.

Im sorry to ask this question, but I’m really new to Cruise Critic. Why are names of consultants and travel agents not allowed on these forums?

Quite simply, because the rules and guidelines put into place by the people who own this site prohibit it. It is their site, therefore their rules. Sorry if it seems blunt, but the "why" of their decision really doesn't matter.

I picture my Mother..."Because I said so. That's why." :o

:mad:

Im sorry to ask this question, but I’m really new to Cruise Critic. Why are names of consultants and travel agents not allowed on these forums?

I'll go with a second reason , because of the fear that unscrupulous TA's ( a minority I'm sure ) would push their own services either directly or worse by recommending an agent/agency who was in fact themselves .

In other words,using CruiseCritic to drum up business .

:mad:

I'll go with a second reason , because of the fear that unscrupulous TA's ( a minority I'm sure ) would push their own services either directly or worse by recommending an agent/agency who was in fact themselves .

In other words,using CruiseCritic to drum up business .

Thank you for actually answering the question instead of replying with “because they said so” like the poster above you.

Incorrect. This is paying the full fare for a higher class room. You would get the perks of the room you are paying full fare for.

You do not get the upgraded perks if you do the Upgrade Advantage and get a discounted upgrade.

CAS is even easier to pay for a higher room at any time after full payment. They will just do it.

But with CAS they charge more than the difference in fares