***LIVE FROM the Epic Transatlantic 2016***

SuiteCruiser

Pre-Cruise:

16 months ago, my friend Judy and I booked the transatlantic cruise on the Jade from Barcelona. We booked the DOS, which is one of a kind on the fleet, a single cabin with two large balconies that sits on top of the Garden Villas.

A couple of months later, there were changes to the itineraries, and we along with thousands of others, were to call in August 25th to make changes. We were offered to stay on the Jade, with the changed itinerary which was a few days shorter, or move to the Epic which they had decided to bring back to the US for the winter.

We love the Epic, so we switched over, price matched plus an OBC.For us we did well in this switch as the DOS on Epic was priced at twice the price of the one on the Jade.

Lots happened in that year, my friend Mindi was going to join us, then Judy was transferred to the Embassy in Moscow, Mindi has a new job and now it's just me heading off of the cruise.

Some of you may recall my past LIVE threads, and will know that I am traveling solo, but not alone by a long shot. There is a huge group of amazing gay men who travel every year and they've taken me into their fold. This year most of them managed to upgrade to the Haven. It's been coined the Gayven :) It's going to be an Epic (I know, I know) cruise and I can't wait to get on board.

Those of you who know my posts know that I'm long-winded and there's a lot of detail in my stories, so if you prefer a succinct review or synopsis, I suggest that you move along as I am anything but succinct.

I am from Ottawa, Canada. I'm married with twin 18 year olds, who moved to Toronto to go to college in the fall, so am now an empty nester.

On Thursday, I took the train to Montreal to get my flight to Barcelona. I'm traveling on points and wanted to fly business class, and this was the best option. Train was uneventful, got to the airport, through security and onto the Air Canada lounge in the International Terminal. I couldn't figure out how to get the automatic door to open, and another woman came along and had the same issues. We noticed a sign on the wall and it said the lounge only opens at 3:00 PM. I've never seen that before, we were both surprised.

I headed off to a nearby restaurant to grab some lunch. I've been dieting the last few weeks just to give myself a buffer as I know I'll put on a few pounds on the cruise. For lunch I had the least possible healthy meal. I had smoked meat poutine with a glass of wine. For those who don't know, poutine is the provincial dish of Quebec. French fries covered in cheese curds, covered in gravy. True artery hardener. I love it, but only indulge once a year or so. This gourmet version had Montreal smoked meat added and the gravy was a mushroom gravy. It was amazing.8e931dd85d4d5e829c734ca650edcc79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Off to the lounge once it opened, then onto the flight. Swiss Air has a small first class section and a larger business class. They hold the best seats for their top mile earners, but I managed to get a single window seat. The flight was so fast, I watched 3 movies and suddenly we were landing. I didn't sleep at all. The flight left Montreal at 5:30 PM and arrived in Zurich at 6:30 AM. I had a tight connection of only 50 minutes, breezed through immigration and to my gate with plenty of time. Flight to Barcelona was just over an hour, and also uneventful.

I checked into the W (My favourite hotel) for 2 nights, got an upgrade and early check in, and finally got some sleep.

I went down to the pool and had a couple of drinks overlooking the Mediterranean, then headed off to an early dinner at my favourite Italian restaurant on the Boardwalk, Mamarosa. The pizza was even better than I remembered, a couple of $5 glasses of great wine

f44f94c8fcb337da93d7af6d6dcb88d9.jpg

2a7befdf549565987baa5970729de6ba.jpg

Edited by SuiteCruiser

There was a costume party going on at the W. The costumes were really elaborate, much different than you see at home, flawless makeup, all sort of goth.

Headed to bed early. I woke early and thought I would head outside to watch the sunrise. It was about 6:30 AM, I was still on Ottawa time, so my clock was thrown off.

I was sitting outside and a group of the costumed partygoers were outside as well. They were speaking Spanish and I didn't really pay any attention to them. A guy joined them without a costume and one of the goth guys says something along the lines of "look what I found for you" and headed over to me. Pointing to me for the guy, I guess offering me up to him? Then Goth guy starts playing with my hair. I was very weirded out, this went on for a crazy long time, me telling him to stop, and saying that I don't think the young guy wanted this old married woman and laughing it off, but weirded out at the same time. Was the young guy looking for a blonde? OMG. This was one of those situations where instead of provoking a person you laugh it off and clear out. Clearly they were all drunk. They asked where my husband was and I said upstairs and he's on his way down. He then left me alone. I'm bothered by my inaction and feeling the need to lie and be "protected" by my husband, but this is what most women do, diffuse it, laugh, get out of there.

I went back up to my room, and was able to crash for a couple of more hours. Up again and down to the pool with my kindle. It was a bit chilly, so had a sweater on, and towels wrapped around me, ordered coffee with Bailey's and sat out there for several hours.

There was a transatlantic group chat for the LGBT cruisers and I'm an honourary member. A couple of guys from that group were also staying at the W, so they came down and we chatted for a long time. New friends, great guys :)

I went back to my room, had a bath. This tub is massive. I'm 6'2 and I could soak up to my neck. It was so awesome. Deciding to get dressed and grab some food, I proceeded for the next 25 minutes to try to get out of the bath. The sides were straight and high, the tub was too narrow to turn around or try to get me knees under me and I have bad knees anyway. I tried everything. I thought for sure I would still be there the next morning when the housekeeping staff arrived. Finally I managed to pull myself up. I think it might be wise for the W to add some grab bars, I also think I might have to stop having baths on trips. Last year on the Escape, there was some chemical in my bath that burned my butt (3rd degree chemical burns) and I still can't sit in hard chairs without being in pain.

Quick bite to eat, off to bed, read for longer than I should have, and then wide awake at 7:00 AM. We had a time change last night, so it felt like 8:00 AM, but I still have loads of time before I head to the pier.

It's foggy today, but I have a perfect view from my bed of the Epic just sitting there teasing me. 13 days onboard, hope I haven't bored you all already :)

90f5b86f7fa1ec8f28e71918e1d91dba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Love your reviews

I have been an "empty nester" for a long time and some friends will be facing it in the Spring.

I think that a friend of mine board The Epic as Staff Captain for this adventure: Zeljko Jurac from Croatia.

I am looking at sailing on The Bliss in Spring of 2018 from Southampton, United Kingdom to Miami and then through the "New" Panama Canal to Los Angeles and on to Her Summer Home in Seattle, Washington. Care to join me?

Mandy

Following....

Will be onboard Epic on Nov 26th...sailed the Med in early June this year...had a fantastic time...can't wait to be onboard again....

Have a great time and have a few drinks at O'Sheehan's for us...say hi to Jovana for us (the best bartender on board) and tell her that her friends from Canada can't wait to see her again....

Excited to follow along. I will be on the Epic at the end of March and again for 2017's TA. I too will be a solo on the TA. As you said though solo doesn't mean alone, the beauty of cruising!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk