Making the Most of it.... Sailing with a new knee injury

Sun4Me2Please

So our traveling partners just got some news about a knee injury that has developed. Our friend has 3 weeks of non- weight bearing restriction which means she will be using crutches during our cruise that goes out in a couple of weeks. She is currently checking to see if she is able to use a knee scooter, if that does not work I am not sure that crutches on a ship is the best alternative, any thoughts on this? Also looking for other tips that will make her cruise enjoyable considering the circumstances.

Well, if someone in my party needed to use crutches, we'd become their extra hands for getting food and drinks, and we'd probably sit around on bar stools a whole lot - which we do anyway...so they only thing that might change is fewer strolls around the decks, more bobbing in the pool (which is great for knee injuries, AFAIK).

I've sailed post hip replacement and used a cane to get around. Planned relaxing excursions on western itinerary like Tabayana in Roatan, 7 mile beach in Cayman, Nachi in Coz. Booked a massage in the spa.

I see some using a knee scooter type apparatus that supports the middle of the shin when the leg is bent. The good leg is used for propulsion. Lots of Advil, warm ocean water, easy on any steps and no gym made it a more than bearable cruise.

Unless the injury is so severe that a doctor/surgeon advises against cruising, they can have a pleasurable and memorable cruise.

My last cruise I shattered my elbow a week before and needed surgery. I was in a cast for the entire trip. A big one. I still went and enjoyed it. You'll find people are willing to help with opening doors, etc. I think it would be ok with crutches. Especially since they won't be alone and will have help if needed.

Well, if someone in my party needed to use crutches, we'd become their extra hands for getting food and drinks, and we'd probably sit around on bar stools a whole lot - which we do anyway...so they only thing that might change is fewer strolls around the decks, more bobbing in the pool (which is great for knee injuries, AFAIK).

Thanks, we already know there will be more time for lounging and cocktailing ;)

I've sailed post hip replacement and used a cane to get around. Planned relaxing excursions on western itinerary like Tabayana in Roatan, 7 mile beach in Cayman, Nachi in Coz. Booked a massage in the spa.

I see some using a knee scooter type apparatus that supports the middle of the shin when the leg is bent. The good leg is used for propulsion. Lots of Advil, warm ocean water, easy on any steps and no gym made it a more than bearable cruise.

Unless the injury is so severe that a doctor/surgeon advises against cruising, they can have a pleasurable and memorable cruise.

Well I do not think she will do the scooter, she is going to try the knee scooter to see if that works for her. She can cruise, it just is really limited with no weight bearing on that leg. I was thinking the thermal pool may be good for her. Will see.

My last cruise I shattered my elbow a week before and needed surgery. I was in a cast for the entire trip. A big one. I still went and enjoyed it. You'll find people are willing to help with opening doors, etc. I think it would be ok with crutches. Especially since they won't be alone and will have help if needed.

She will have a good time regardless. I was just wondering if there was some things that others have done to make it more bearable. Walking is out as the no weight bearing on the leg with the bad knee. Thanks for sharing :)

Oh gosh, I could not imagine trying to get around a cruise ship on crutches. Besides the distance she'd have to crutch everyday (she will be exhausted) she'll have to be very careful about the crowds....many people are oblivious and will not give her space to move. Kids will run past her at close range...its nerve wracking. She'll have to be vigilant about avoiding wet slippery spots on the floor, otherwise she'll fall.

I used them after ACL surgery and it was not fun. You realize that people (in general) pay no attention to you and it's more stressful than you realize.

I don't think society really understands the perspective of the injured person using the crutches and how nerve wracking it can be for them in crowds, etc. I vote for a scooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So our traveling partners just got some news about a knee injury that has developed. Our friend has 3 weeks of non- weight bearing restriction which means she will be using crutches during our cruise that goes out in a couple of weeks. She is currently checking to see if she is able to use a knee scooter, if that does not work I am not sure that crutches on a ship is the best alternative, any thoughts on this? Also looking for other tips that will make her cruise enjoyable considering the circumstances.

Not sure her exact injury but if it is in the knee area she will probably not be able to use a knee scooter. They are used in the case of lower leg injuries.

If she does not want to use a scooter I would recommend picking up a transport chair from your local CVS or Walgreens store. Or borrowing one if you have access.

I had a tibia plateau fracture (right below the knee joint) on a cruise a few years ago( happened at our last port stop-long story ). I was non weight bearing for 7 weeks. I used the transport chair once at home to get around at work, went to a boat show, shopping, etc. really anytime I needed to go more than several steps. I could not imagine trying to get around a cruise ship with just crutches.

Good luck to you and your friends whatever is decided and enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I broke my leg shortly before a cruise. I used a knee scooter during the cruise and was pleased with how well everything went. I was not able to tender in one port but enjoyed Cozumel and Key West without any problems. I stayed away from the buffet lines, but found that the dining room staff kept a table available for me for all meals. Getting around the ship had few limitations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh gosh, I could not imagine trying to get around a cruise ship on crutches. Besides the distance she'd have to crutch everyday (she will be exhausted) she'll have to be very careful about the crowds....many people are oblivious and will not give her space to move. Kids will run past her at close range...its nerve wracking. She'll have to be vigilant about avoiding wet slippery spots on the floor, otherwise she'll fall.

I used them after ACL surgery and it was not fun. You realize that people (in general) pay no attention to you and it's more stressful than you realize.

I don't think society really understands the perspective of the injured person using the crutches and how nerve wracking it can be for them in crowds, etc. I vote for a scooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the advice. The more I think about it the more I hope she will try the electric scooter option. I am concerned about having crutches in area's where the surface is wet. I think I will be a little more convincing in my next discussion with her.

Not sure her exact injury but if it is in the knee area she will probably not be able to use a knee scooter. They are used in the case of lower leg injuries.

If she does not want to use a scooter I would recommend picking up a transport chair from your local CVS or Walgreens store. Or borrowing one if you have access.

I had a tibia plateau fracture (right below the knee joint) on a cruise a few years ago( happened at our last port stop-long story ). I was non weight bearing for 7 weeks. I used the transport chair once at home to get around at work, went to a boat show, shopping, etc. really anytime I needed to go more than several steps. I could not imagine trying to get around a cruise ship with just crutches.

Good luck to you and your friends whatever is decided and enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, she has been through the mill with her one knee, we hope that she will get back to her active self once she goes through PT again after our trip. I really hope they will look into the scooter option for her. It would be a lot easier I think. We will have fun regardless! I just want her to be able to get around without it being so much work. Her issue is stress fracture and avascular necrosis.

Well I do not think she will do the scooter, she is going to try the knee scooter to see if that works for her. She can cruise, it just is really limited with no weight bearing on that leg. I was thinking the thermal pool may be good for her. Will see.

Maybe a transport type wheelchair for long walks and excursions ? You can rent one or even buy one for about what it costs to rent. It sounds like you'll be in a group so she will have folks that can push if need be.

The couple may want to request wheelchair assistance embarking and disembarking. There are some threads you can search for more info if they're interested in that.

I broke my leg shortly before a cruise. I used a knee scooter during the cruise and was pleased with how well everything went. I was not able to tender in one port but enjoyed Cozumel and Key West without any problems. I stayed away from the buffet lines, but found that the dining room staff kept a table available for me for all meals. Getting around the ship had few limitations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank You, We know she will enjoy herself just trying to find the best mode of transportation for her.

Maybe a transport type wheelchair for long walks and excursions ? You can rent one or even buy one for about what it costs to rent. It sounds like you'll be in a group so she will have folks that can push if need be.

The couple may want to request wheelchair assistance embarking and disembarking. There are some threads you can search for more info if they're interested in that.

Thank you, I will have them check into the embarking and disembarking options :) I will see if they are going to pursue a wheelchair or a scooter for her, we know she will be needing more than crutches.

Not sure how old your friend is, or how "strong" but using crutches in not at all easy even on land. You use muscles you never knew you had, and the underarms get very sore - and this is only when going a short distance - traipsing from one end of the ship to the other would be very difficult.

I'm assuming the doctor has okayed a knee scooter? For many knee injuries that would not be an option - they truly are used primarily for lower leg/foot issues.

You can typically rent a nice wheelchair from medical supply stores that would be lightweight and very easy to use without assistance. They may want to look into that option. Either way - I hope you all have a great time!!

My best advice for you--BRING THE CRUTCHES!!!!

Last year, I got put on crutches for a knee issue the day before our Vista cruise. I was heartbroken. But, I still had fun. A few points of note:

1--At each port, as well as embarkation, someone saw me and my crutches, and immediately came up to us with a wheelchair and provided assistance. During embarkation, the porter-assisted wheelchair whisked us through the lines with no waiting, which may be a benefit to your party. We are Platinum, so it was a moot point. However, please know that if you are assisted onboard with the porter, you may likely pass the embarkation photo site. We were sad about this, as it's the only photo we take/buy.

2--When I arrived to muster on crutches, someone came over to me and took down my info (name/cabin/muster station). They keep a running list of guests that may need special assistance in the event of an emergency.

3--Everyone on the ship is very helpful if they see you crutching around,, and often offer to carry things for you. Especially in the buffet. Although, I got very good at only using one crutch in the buffet so I could carry my plate.

4--We checked out a wheelchair from Guest Services, and used it in Grand Turk (long walk from ship to shore). Only used the chair for 2 days, as it took up a lot of space in the cabin.

5--Crutches are very helpful on the beach--as a regular wheelchair just won't work in the sand.

We ended up canceling our Segway excursion, and I couldn't do the SkyWay or ropes course on the ship. But other than that, I had fun!

CeleBrat

Back in 2008 we rented a wheelchair for my mom on our Freedom cruise. We only had to pay a small deposit (I think like $50) and we got that back after we returned the wheelchair. It was nice because we kept the wheelchair in her cabin all week and used it when we went to the port and when she felt she needed it. I'm not sure how much Carnival changed all that, but hopefully that would still be an option.

Don't count on borrowing a wheelchair from the ship - it may happen but it's in no conceivable way a given.

There are companies you can rent from who will have a chair waiting in your cabin for the duration of the cruise. Check the disabled cruising boards for more help.

DH is mobility challenged and needs wheelchair assistance with embarkation and disembarkation. He can walk about slowly once he's aboard and can stop to rest as needed.

**Normally only one cabin mate is allowed to accompany the wheelchair passenger.

**When we board I go to guest services to find out where disabled Muster drill will be held for folks that can't stand for long times - it's usually the comedy theater or library.