Stockholder credit

13cheermom

Is it worth the $100 OBC to buy CCL?

I gave up buying individual stocks a while ago. I was successful in many positions but eventually concluded the risk was too great, and switched to low cost index funds.

So my question is, given I don't want to own CCL long term, is it worth buying 100 shares to get the OBC and selling them after?

Broker charges $5 a trade, so $10 is lost right off the bat. Then if the stock drops more than 1% or so, I may end up losing even after accounting for the OBC.

What do you think? Worth the risk or not?

I gave up buying individual stocks a while ago. I was successful in many positions but eventually concluded the risk was too great, and switched to low cost index funds.

So my question is, given I don't want to own CCL long term, is it worth buying 100 shares to get the OBC and selling them after?

Broker charges $5 a trade, so $10 is lost right off the bat. Then if the stock drops more than 1% or so, I may end up losing even after accounting for the OBC.

Buying a stock is an investment. Can go up or down.

For a reward of a maximum of $ 100 (assuming 7-8 day cruise) I do not think it is worth the risk to you. Will say we have done very well over the years owning stock in general as well as this one

Buying a stock is an investment. Can go up or down.

For a reward of a maximum of $ 100 (assuming 7-8 day cruise) I do not think it is worth the risk to you. Will say we have done very well over the years owning stock in general as well as this one

Yeah, I agree. $90 after commission is not worth the risk and time required to make the request.

With a couple of 14-day Journey cruises coming up soon, I feel like that $250/cruise will be a nice addition to our OBC, lol. So if you figure $500 in a few months as well as dividends and maybe some other shorter cruises, not too bad. My husband will also be retiring within the next year and we plan on cruising more with his flexibility, so hopefully we will get better use out of our stock purchase from now on. I agree with others it is kinda high right now and I would just watch for the price to come back down a little before making an investment. But you do have to consider all the other lines you can use it on, which I'm sure we will start branching out to other lines next year also. This could affect which ones I look at though :confused:.

A lot depends on how often you cruise. My parents just started a 49 day three cruise combination transatlantic, Baltic, and Celtuc Odyssey trip. They have a Hawaii cruise, New England, and another Alaska cruise lined up and probably a couple more Caribbean ones thrown in. If you look at the OBC as tax free dividends then it really looks like a winner.

For the OBC on ONE cruise, I would say no, it is not worth it. If you cruise often it is well worth it as the stock performs above market average and there are reliable dividends.

We cruise on either Carnival or HAL so it is well worth it overall for us.

For the OBC on ONE cruise, I would say no, it is not worth it. If you cruise often it is well worth it as the stock performs above market average and there are reliable dividends.

We cruise on either Carnival or HAL so it is well worth it overall for us.

Although the stock has gone down recently, it is still close to double what we paid for it, and the dividend has also gone up. And that is in addition to the OBC.

Since the only access they have to information about your portfolio is what you provide them, if you send your paperwork in and then sell the stock prior to the cruise, they wouldn't have a clue and you would get your OBC. To me, doing that would be theft and if someone sold their stock before their cruise they should notify Carnival to let them know to remove the OBC.

I definitely wouldn't be doing it on purpose, which is why we passed on that one (unfortunately so, as Carnival has taken a dive these last couple months). We try to position our covered calls to not sell, as we want to retain the stocks that we do covered calls on. But, I was curious what would happen ? Does anyone have any actual experience with putting in for the OBC then selling their stock ?

I wouldn't want to miss out on the OBC because my covered call was executed the day before we sailed. Once you've sent in your request, wouldn't they have all of the info they needed to be able to confirm you still own the stock just before sailing ? I am assuming a company has a list of their stock owners and could double-check the list. In fact, I would think they would have some automated way to do that ?

In your scenario, I think it would not be worth it. I wouldn't change my investing strategy just for one $100 OBC. If you were cruising often, and holding the stock, then that might be a different story, the OBC and dividends would possibly outweigh any short-term losses in the stock. 100 shares of Carnival right this moment would be $6,436. That's a chunk of change just to receive $100 OBC. Over the last 3 months, it has gone down to 64.36, down from a high of 72.70 at the end of January, with a low (so far) of 62.48 in the middle of April, and with each peak since January being lower than the previous peak.

:o

1. Carnival does not monitor who owns what when. As long as you show ownership when you claim the benefit you are good to go.

2. Carnival is a large and alert company. If the scenario that you describe becomes a problem, they will discontinue the benefit.

3. The benefit is a clever marketing tool....engendering brand loyalty by offering a dependable benefit across several cruise lines.

4. There are several CC members who have more than paid for their initial investment thru use of the benefit. Of course, they likely bought at far lower levels than now exist.

5. No offense, but you are not the typical CCL shareholder. Most are folks who want the benefit, can afford it, and often hold it in a personal IRA where it can accrue value thru dividends, price increases and OBC (tax free). There is little to no churn with this group.

Would I pay cash for it at $65 a share? No, not even close.

Would I move money around in my IRA so I can get the benefit without paying for it (since the money was already in my IRA), you betcha (which is what I did).

At $65 a share, even is you lost 1% ($65 of the $6500 spent to purchase 100 shares), you'd still be ahead after the 1st 7 night cruise (you get $100 OBC on week long cruises).

Carnival down to 63.06 so those 100 shares would have lost $130 today. But ... it's all on paper ... it could bounce back up tomorrow. Changes of over $1/share haven't been unusual lately (up and down).

the stocks can go up and down like a crazy drunken yo-yo. However, in the long term future you can earn dividend which is currently i think around 50 cents per share. You have to think of it like an investment for the future of what is going to happen in the next 10, 15,30 years and so on.

Not all broker charge a broker fee to buy stocks. I use Robinhood which is a 10000% complete free free site, no additional fees or surcharges. I noticed my

Carnival down to 63.06 so those 100 shares would have lost $130 today. But ... it's all on paper ... it could bounce back up tomorrow. Changes of over $1/share haven't been unusual lately (up and down).

Might be a time to grab a hundred. Time to check out my Vanguard account.

Hi

Making an investment decision to try and scam $100 is silly.

Buying shares in a company that pays a steady divided, which has gone up over the years and getting a after tax $100 credit for every 7 day cruise you go on with a company that you are more than happy to support and plan on going on a couple or more trips every year isn't silly.

As far as the price of the shares right now, that's irrelevant if it is a product you support. I remember a number of years ago, with a similar type of discussion when someone said they wouldn't buy CLL shares even if it dropped back to $15. That was when it was trading in the low 30's. So, that person made a poor decision, but that's just one decision you make in your life. Who knows, maybe he bought Apple shares :).

Anyway, the dividends and the OBC's have paid for my initial 100 shares and I did buy more over the years. Why would you not continue to buy something that has consistently made money for you?

Just like getting medical advice on a cruise website, this isn't the place for financial advise. Just like we tell people about cruising on this site, do your research and speak with someone who knows what they are talking about before you spend your money.

hope this helps

So what is the minimum amount of rime to successfully submit stockholder credit and have it posted to your sail & sign account onboard

Usually the statement before the cruise date. But if the cruise is within the first 10 days of the cruise, I will send it in 45 days before.