Need some help from frequent posters-you know who you are

greatam

There is a person on the Asia boards that is posting all kind of erroneous info. The thread is titled-"Thai Airways-is this reasonable".

She is telling both Globaliser and I that we have no idea what we are talking about. She absolutely will not grasp the concept that her heavily discounted tickets are NOT the EXACT SAME ticket as she would get from an airline at a higher price.

This morning she went off on a rant about me being part of the travel industry or that I work for a consolidator (FAR off base). Then she posts erroneous info about consolidators never getting discounts or anything else. She mentions CheapOair a couple of times-does she not realize that they are consolidators, buying tickets on contract or as bulk purchase.

Globaliser and I are both astounded at the ignorance she shows. PRICE is her only concept.

She states she is sending out info to all kinds of people about how to get cheap airline tickets. Someone is going to get burned with their heavily discounted tickets one of these days. And I don't want to see that happen to anyone.

So maybe a few others could try to steer her knowledge to something other than looking for the cheapest price no matter what type of ticket you get.

Your help is appreciated.

On the thread that you are talking about, if you click on the red triangle at the top right of one of these posts, that is a "Report Post" button that takes you to a way to alert the moderators that you feel the post is a violation of Cruise Critic rules.

On the thread that you are talking about, if you click on the red triangle at the top right of one of these posts, that is a "Report Post" button that takes you to a way to alert the moderators that you feel the post is a violation of Cruise Critic rules.

Nothing she has posted is a violation of the CC rules. She just keeps reposting over and over totally erroneous information. Someone listening to her may find themselves in deep doo doo if there is a glitch in their air travels.

She cannot grasp the concept of NON ENDORSABLE and NON REROUTABLE which is very often prevalent on heavily discounted tickets. And she doesn't seem to understand the concept of FARE RULES and how they might affect a flight. Nor is she looking at the T & C for some of the discounters she is so heavily in favor of. Reading all the T & C fine print very often is an eye opener. It's where I found out that BestFares.com absolutely WILL NOT change your airline ticket due to a schedule change even if it means you are still on the ship and absolutely could not make the changed flight. You fly the original flight number no matter what time or your ticket is no good.

Thanks for your help.

Can you provide a link. The read will be interesting. I"m not the one to challenge her but I'm sure others can and will. Clearly she has no clue about you or she would know that you have vast knowledge far exceeding most of us. Same with Globaliser. It took me quite some time to get through to my brother on the exact same thing. Where did I get my best knowledge on the subject? Here from you guys.

Can you provide a link. The read will be interesting. I"m not the one to challenge her but I'm sure others can and will. Clearly she has no clue about you or she would know that you have vast knowledge far exceeding most of us. Same with Globaliser. It took me quite some time to get through to my brother on the exact same thing. Where did I get my best knowledge on the subject? Here from you guys.

Here you go. Thanks for your help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2193936

I read the thread you mention. If we could find the old thread from the boards about the couple on consolidator tickets that got stuck somewhere in the Midwest because their consolidator tickets wouldn't help them get to their cruise after an airline issue. That might be a good example to use.

I think I read this phrase for the first time on CC and it seems to apply here: "you can't fix stupid". Hopefully, those travelers genuinely seeking accurate information will listen to Greatam, Globaliser, et al.

I read the thread you mention. If we could find the old thread from the boards about the couple on consolidator tickets that got stuck somewhere in the Midwest because their consolidator tickets wouldn't help them get to their cruise after an airline issue. That might be a good example to use.

Do you mean this one-the poor lady and her party got stuck in Omaha when others on the plane left, was routed on the ORIGINAL routing through PHL due to the restrictions on her tickets and ended up going home. I felt so sorry for her. Most of the others on the same plane got out of Omaha and were only delayed by a couple of hours. She had a two day marathon trip and still had to go home. I wonder if she ever got anything other than $500 and a refund of her airline ticket???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1398770&highlight=us+airways

Do you mean this one-the poor lady and her party got stuck in Omaha when others on the plane left, was routed on the ORIGINAL routing through PHL due to the restrictions on her tickets and ended up going home. I felt so sorry for her. Most of the others on the same plane got out of Omaha and were only delayed by a couple of hours. She had a two day marathon trip and still had to go home. I wonder if she ever got anything other than $500 and a refund of her airline ticket???

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1398770&highlight=us+airways

Yep- that sounds like the one.

If you can just get Flyertalker to weigh in over there it will be pretty much a clean sweep of the knowledgeable folks poking holes in her theories.
Late to the party, but done.

The other thought for today.....this person (and similar) can vote.

I have posted for folks to read the sticky on this board about cruise flights. It seems nobody wants to believe it is true. . .until it happens to them. Some actually say they want to take the gamble. These are the same folks who would never dream of flying in on the same day of the cruise. . .People want to believe they are getting a good deal and that the cruise lines want to give you a deal for being such a good customer. . or that there are all these unsold tickets sitting around waiting to be sold. . .

You warned them. That's all you can do.

greatam -

I recall reading a post of yours somewhere that referenced paid websites (?) that show the airlines flights well in advance. Is that just for business customers or would that be available to travelers?

And totally off this subject, since you travel to S America, would a quick flight to Iquitos for an Amazon experience from Lima for this time period be doable/advisable? :

4/7-Thurs Callao (Lima), Peru 12:00 p.m. ---

4/8-Fri Callao (Lima), Peru --- ---

4/9-Sat Callao (Lima), Peru --- 5:00 p.m.

Sorry for hijacking your thread...but maybe it provides a diversion - and I will listen!

greatam -

I recall reading a post of yours somewhere that referenced paid websites (?) that show the airlines flights well in advance. Is that just for business customers or would that be available to travelers?

Are you referring to Expertflyer or KVS? Both have a fee, both provide very useful information, particularly when trying to figure out fare codes and match prices to what you see on ITA. Also, very valuable to get upgrade or award tickets.

http://www.expertflyer.com/

http://www.kvstool.com/

And totally off this subject, since you travel to S America, would a quick flight to Iquitos for an Amazon experience from Lima for this time period be doable/advisable? :

4/7-Thurs Callao (Lima), Peru 12:00 p.m. ---

4/8-Fri Callao (Lima), Peru --- ---

4/9-Sat Callao (Lima), Peru --- 5:00 p.m.

Sorry for hijacking your thread...but maybe it provides a diversion - and I will listen!

I don't know why you couldn't do it but AFAIK, there is only one flight per day-5AM in the morning. 2 hour flight. I took that flight a few years ago to go stay at a tree house lodge. BIG DISAPPOINTMENT for the money. But you could leave Friday early morning and come back Saturday early morning. Doesn't give you much time to see anything. AND to go to Iquitos, you MUST have a yellow fever shot or waiver. They very often check because Iquitos is deep jungle with frequent outbreaks of yf.

If it was my trip, I would fly to Juliaca if you haven't been to Lake Titicaca. Leave Thursday evening, get to Juliaca about 9PM, go to your hotel on the banks of Lake Titicaca. Friday, take the all day tour around Lake Titicaca, and fly back Saturday about noon to Lima. Should be back in plenty of time for the cruise departure at 5PM, especially considering the airport and cruise port are very close. The only problem with this suggestion is altitude sickness because Lake Titicaca is as high as Cusco, if not higher. If you are not bothered and take it SLOW, it would be a different day with something to see.

A flight to Arequippa (the white city-bldgs are made of white stone) is also a possibility. You can see the giant condors on Friday but the trip would be strenuous to do in one day. And again, it is about 15,000 feet over the pass to Colca Canyon (the Grand Canyon of South America).

Lots of possibilities-I take it you have been to MP. The trip to Juliaca/Puno/Lake Titicaca offers probably the best airline schedule for your time frame and the least amount of strenuous walking so you don't get too sick from AMS.

Let us know what you decided to do.

Edited by greatam

Thanks so much for all your info. Those are the sites I was curious about.

Have never been to MP - know it is sacrileg but not that interested. And, my cabin mate has knee issues AND has since decided against my further afield ideas due to the stress of the flights. Lima it will be (but I will stash away your ideas for the future!).

Thanks again.

Edited by ljones