The Tipping Point for Royal

3) The gall of the "chair hogs" has become unbelievable. They rise before anyone and take the best chairs only to leave them open all day. I sat by the pool on days 1 and 2 at sea and watched the same prime chairs stay open all day. Now they have added clips to the repertoire so the towels stay in place all day. No one from Royal is patrolling this or cares about this and why people do this is way beyond me. Awful, boorish behavior.

If a chair is open (obviously no one actually sitting there at the time), sit on it. If someone comes along and claims it's theirs, lie an apology and go sit in the next empty chair. If it's really a chair hog who's not coming back for hours, hey you got to sweat on their towel for a while. Win/win, right?

4) The elevator idiots. With one of the elevators being down the whole cruise (c'mon now RCCL) the elevators became even more packed than normal in the aft. That said, I saw countless apparently able bodies people take the elevators for just 1-2 floors. It got so bad that people would get in any elevator and pack them even more, just to have a chance to get where they were going. Riding up from 6 to 12 and then back down to 3 ( I only know this as many people were doing it and talking about it) Yes, we took the stairs most days but harder on the formal days when you have to traverse 7 floors or so in heels and dress shoes as a couple.
That's a little tougher, but frankly, elevators aren't reserved for people in heels anymore than they're reserved for people with small children or people feeling seasick or people in the middle of a migraine, or people too tipsy to safely manage stairs. There's no more people on the ship, and (aside from the broken one) no fewer elevators than there used to be. For myself, I solve the problem by just avoiding peak traffic times as much as possible.

So has it tipped? Not yet. Yes, I will cruise again and unfortunately, I will just pay for suites going forward. After getting to Diamond and now D plus, there really is no benefit in it for me anymore other than the free booze. I love the sea, I love the ports but I hate waiting and being herded like cattle.
Until the top tiers start dying off en mass due to old age and too much buffet food, there's going to be an ever-increasing number of top-tier people, simply because people that keep cruising eventually get there. And there's never been Diamond reserved chairs to my knowledge, nor diamond-reserved elevators.

Where do I begin? First you are in the warm Caribbean sun not in the possible snow and cold of Colorado. Like you, being from a cold winter climate, I relish the warmth. Second, I'm not cooking, so any food I don't prepare is all good. Next if I want a cherished pool lounger, I get there early and park my butt in one. As far as the elevator goes, you must be able bodied, so going up or down 3 or 4 floors shouldn't be a problem for you despite heels and dress shoes. I know we do. By the way since status is an issue for you, we are lowly Platinum at ages 54 and 56 and enjoy every cruise. I hope you enjoy your next cruise, I know we will!

This thread is a shining example of loyalty programs benefiting no one but the corporation at the end of the day. You're willing to accept a subpar product and keep coming back for more with credit card in hand. If not for the loyalty program, you would have jumped ship (no pun intended) years ago. Another win for Royal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm really going to show RCI - I will only sail in suites to show my displeasure.

You get what you pay for, suite lounges , restaurants, reserved seats , priotity everything, this is true for most loved lines , once you do this you really do not want to cruise and other way,and of course much larger room and balcony. We had a free upgrade about 8 years ago and since almost all cruises were suites , rather travel a little less and go first class

This thread is a shining example of loyalty programs benefiting no one but the corporation at the end of the day. You're willing to accept a subpar product and keep coming back for more with credit card in hand. If not for the loyalty program, you would have jumped ship (no pun intended) years ago. Another win for Royal.

Why shouldn't the loyalty program benefit the corporation, the purpose of the business is to make money.

Why shouldn't the loyalty program benefit the corporation, the purpose of the business is to make money.

My point was that they make the business money by fooling the consumer into thinking they are somehow coming out on top at the end of the day. Product quality drops, prices stay the same, yet people come back for more simply because of their loyalty status.

I’m not seeing where any of the “bad stuff” had anything to do with your C&A level, not sure why you even mention it. You are going to run into chair hogs and poor elevator etiquette no matter who you cruise with. As for the MDR, I’ve not experienced the new menu yet, I’ll find out next month. I hope it’s not as bad as you portray.

It is not just what was mentioned. Diamond is the new platinum with RCCL. The only status they want is pinnacle, because there is so few of them. I’ve been d+ for 5 years and will never get pinnacle. I suspect in a few years there will be d++ and d+++ to cut costs. If you don’t have an+ you get NOTHING.

This topic rears its ugly head every once in a while. If it bothers you seeing people use the elevator for which it is designed ( that is ---going from floor to floor), then take the stairs. People who take the elevator and only go up a deck or two are not doing anything wrong. They should not have defend themselves or apologize.

It doesn’t really bother me. I take the stairs typically. Just saying that the post I quoted was an overreaction.

My point was that they make the business money by fooling the consumer into thinking they are somehow coming out on top at the end of the day. Product quality drops, prices stay the same, yet people come back for more simply because of their loyalty status.

I can see that some people probably fall into this category.

Sounds like the elevator was broken for a few weeks. Hopefully, it is fixed now. It can be frustrating when you watch what appear to be able bodied people push to get in front of someone with an obvious handicapping condition to make sure “they” get on the elevator. Courtesy is dwindling. As to the food, yes it has gone downhill. If a person tells you they are D+, maybe they’re trying to tell you that they’re drawing on experience. In my 17 years of cruising I have noticed the main dining room go from a fine dining experience to cheap, wedding banquet food at best. Now you have to pay more if you want that fine dining experience.

There is no excuse for Royal to allow people to reserve pool loungers. Staff should police this better. I have, in general, watched the decline in this cruise line over the years. Yes, I am D+. That means I am an experienced Royal cruiser. In my humble opinion, Royal has become the Wal-Mart of cruise lines. My last royal cruise was “Royal Princess”. I am now cruising RCI for itinerary only. I genuinely prefer Princess. Not only for the menu and food quality, but also for the way they treat you. For those of you who are dissatisfied, I would highly recommend giving other cruise lines a try.

It is not just what was mentioned. Diamond is the new platinum with RCCL. The only status they want is pinnacle, because there is so few of them. I’ve been d+ for 5 years and will never get pinnacle. I suspect in a few years there will be d++ and d+++ to cut costs. If you don’t have an+ you get NOTHING.

Well you do get three free drinks every evening and a few discounts. Like you we are D+ and don't expect to ever be pinnacle.

I think once you get to D level, you are costing RCI money (unless you spend a lot on your cabin or onboard). If they can fill their ships with people at lower levels they would probably prefer that. Perhaps the only advantages for RCI of D and D+ are that they cruise with them often and others who hear about the perks aspire to get to those levels.

I saw countless apparently able bodies people take the elevators for just 1-2 floors.

A comment I made to someone on an elevator when I was taking it just one floor my last cruise:

"I used to get mad at people who took the elevator for one floor. Then I hurt my knee."

That was a couple months ago. My knee is a lot better to where I think I should be able to mount stairs and walk the treadmill my next cruise next month.

There are many Pinnacles that are under 75.

I will be 64 when I get there.

We are going to hit Diamond at 28, but I feel the climb to Pinnacle will take quite a while. At our current rate (2-3 cruises a year) we will likely hit it at some point in our 60s, assuming we stick with Royal that entire time.

I believe OP was making some general observations which I agree with. I don't believe it deserved the reaction from one or two posters who took offence.

I have never chased loyalty status and cruised on many different lines to enjoy variety and different experiences. Royal Caribbean remains my favourite and the line I have cruised most with. Nothing to do with being a Diamond member or wishing to go higher but the benefits do sometimes tip the balance.

Checking the MDR menu each day is something I have done for a long time. It doesn't always appeal and I agree that the choice and quality has gone downhill. However, I don't feel obliged to eat in the MDR. I mix it up with Windjammer and speciality venues. That works for me better than deciding not to sail with RCI just because I don't like the food served in the MDR.

Nearly all of my cruises in recent years have been with frail, elderly parents. They can't take the stairs so it is frustrating when you wait a long time for an elevator. Problem gets worse if one of the elevator is broken. My view on this is that future ships need to be designed with more elevators. IMO, there aren't enough for the number of passengers. I'm ok with people using elevators as they see fit. My personal view is that nobody should feel obliged to use the stairs.

I tend not to spend time on sun loungers so chair hogs don't usually trouble me. It is nice if you are in a suite as the exclusive sun deck solves that problem. On some of the other cruise lines, you can pay to have access to an exclusive area which also solves the problem.

For me I have not reached the tipping point where I would no longer consider Royal Caribbean as an option. Not sure what it would take for me to get to that point. Price, drunken behaviour encouraged by over promotion of drinks packages, smoking, over-crowding, downgrade of Diamond lounge facilities could tip the balance in the future.

I actually had a woman comment about me riding an elevator 3 floors on our Harmony trip last week. Yes I look able bodied - and generally I am. I work out, I eat right all that stuff. I also had an emergency hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and the agreement with my dr to go on the trip was no steps. So yeah rather than cancelling a group trip booked 14 months ago I took the elevator and promptly told the woman she could shove it. Don’t judge a book by the cover you have no idea what able bodied appearing passengers could be dealing with.

Couple of points:

Whilst I accept that for many achieving Pinnacle is out of reach for most, please do not think we are all over 75, there are many P members younger than that I was in my Mid Fifties when i hit P. ( wife even younger )

I do not see why anyone’s loyalty status would/could/should have any reflection on a lift situation, it would certainly cause a stir if one lift in each set was allocated to d or above members. How about a lift on demand call card for Pinnacles seeing as though they are all so old. It could be called the “stairway to heaven”.

I do agree that the standard of the MDR has dropped, but suggest that anyone D or above should consider using their balcony discounts as a payment towards speciality dining. Surely that way their dining is actually improved for the same price charged to others.

I think it is about time that we all understand that our dollar/pound has the same value when spent as everyone else ( yes even including first time cruisers ). Therefore we can only consider if we have achieved a value for money product on a cruise by cruise basis. Our loyalty reward is an ability to be able to cruise a 2nd, 3rd or 50th time, if we do that with a single company that is our choice and we should always vote with our feet.

I hope that when I board The Synphony next week, that I get the same buzz as I did from my first cruise 24 years ago on The Majesty. In the same way I get a buzz when I board ships that belong to other companies.

Yes my prefered cruise line is Royal but I am happy to share my company with any company that value my custom.

I hope that when I board The Synphony next week, that I get the same buzz as I did from my first cruise 24 years ago on The Majesty. In the same way I get a buzz when I board ships that belong to other companies.

Yes my prefered cruise line is Royal but I am happy to share my company with any company that value my custom.

Easy solution, don't look for negatives. Seems like most people do, and most people are taking other people's complaining points and letting that dominate their experience on board.

Then, enjoy the positives.

And know the difference between what are from your fellow passengers (who I don't really worry about) and which ones can realistically be controlled by RCI. And if you think something is wrong, don't hesitate to bring it up, nicely, to someone, immediately. Don't let it fester until you get to your CC review.

Our next cruise will be #50. And I can assure you that I'm totally geeked about going, again.

Two points

Doesn't MSC have an elevator over ride feature for their Yacht Club passengers. Be thankful Royal doesn't have that. Yet. [emoji6]

Second - Am I the only one who is noticing how large strollers have gotten? Talk about elevator crowding.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

I don't know how the OP can get to D+ status and not be aware that there are embarkation lines, chair hogs, and elevator delays on mega ships.

I'm sorry that you had to sail with the poor, huddled masses. Perhaps you need a luxury line with smaller ships.

Easy solution, don't look for negatives. Seems like most people do, and most people are taking other people's complaining points and letting that dominate their experience on board.

Then, enjoy the positives.

And know the difference between what are from your fellow passengers (who I don't really worry about) and which ones can realistically be controlled by RCI. And if you think something is wrong, don't hesitate to bring it up, nicely, to someone, immediately. Don't let it fester until you get to your CC review.

This.....

We will be on our 32nd cruise next month and can’t wait. We know there will be chair hogs, poor elevator manners, some slow lines and some not so great meals here and there. We plan on having a great time anyway. The quality of RCL has declined but still gives us value, fun and most importantly for us rest and relaxation.

As I wrote this, I new that I would have offended some and I sincerely apologize for not adding that all who look "able bodied" may not be so. I totally get this and do not make light of anyone and their incapacity to make it up or down a floor or two. My apologies and I am sorry to hear about your cancer.

I appreciate this apology, and I want to add because this is something I see increasingly.

I am 26 years old and appear to be perfectly fit to anyone who may be looking at me. I have a heart condition that can cause me to have arrhythmias at any given time for no reason, and the odds of this increase during certain activities - stairs in particular. I have actually had people make comments to me in elevators several times. I take the stairs down whenever possible, but up is a struggle. Please don't ever judge someone, even if all signs point to them being perfectly physically capable.

Elevators on any ship are a pain in the a$$. I hope your next cruise is more enjoyable.

As I wrote this, I new that I would have offended some and I sincerely apologize for not adding that all who look "able bodied" may not be so. I totally get this and do not make light of anyone and their incapacity to make it up or down a floor or two. My apologies and I am sorry to hear about your cancer.

Maybe it's just me being an arse...but I don't accept. If, as you wrote it, you knew some would have been offended you could have immediately edited the post. I always consider the first comment of a person to be their true feeling...not the apology that comes after being publicly called out.