Would you call in for a $10 price drop?

mkcurran

Next time fill out the form yourself rather than calling and spending that much time on the phone.

1. I did not book an ES rate. It was a Past Guest rate for a booking made onboard and older cruise.

2. I used a TA.

The form is not applicable.

Not looking for anyone’s “advice”. I am simply speaking my view of the OP’s question.

Not for $10, but if the price drops a few times for $10 each, maybe $30 total, I would submit a price protection form. I should add that I cruise solo many times, so it's not like a one time price drop of $10 results in a $40 overall savings like for a family of 4.

When I first read this thread a couple of days ago, I thought to myself “I absolutely would! Done it many times before” I didn’t post anything and move on.

As luck would have it, last night, I was on the phone for 1 hour 15 mins trying to get a $80 adjustment. I wanted to claw my eyeballs out. But every issue was thrown out... the price didnt drop.... the price dropped, but not on my cabin category... ok, the price dropped for my category, the my rate wasn’t applicable (it absolutely was)... one thing after the next. Eventually, it all worked out.

Now, if someone asked me the same question about $10, I’d say “No flippin way!”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I so laughed at your response, had the exact same situation happen last night, however it was for more than $10, more like $60. I felt it was worth it, but also when I call and they can't find the past guest rate I'm matching to, I just say thanks anyway, and call back. Don't have time to spend on the phone with incompetent people. I always get the rate I've found myself, it just takes 2 or 3 calls sometimes. I even asked the lady last night why others can't find the rate and she could, it's a matter of good customer reps. vs. lazy ones according to her. But I agree it can be frustrating when they keep trying to tell you, your wrong and they're right, :loudcry:.

I have never filled out the price protection form before. I started to fill it out because it looks like our rooms have gone down $50 in price. However, the terms at the bottom scare me: "By selecting yes, guest assumes all terms and conditions of the new promotion and may forfeit any or all features associated with the original fare, such as cabin assignment, onboard credit, an upgrade, special deposit and payment terms, etc."

We booked aft balcony rooms, 3 in a row. Would they try and move our rooms around? That terms say I may forfeit any or all features... such as cabin assignment.

michiele, be sure you are not price matching to a guarantee price where they select the cabin. I usually do a mock booking for the same deck to check pricing. If it pops up saying cabin will be determined, then you know that's not want you want. You want to actually be able to select a specific cabin. Also, cabin categories vary by location on the ship, so be sure you know your existing cabin category and the category that you are looking at in your mock booking. They have to be the same. I usually have a 2nd tab open with deck plans so I can see where the cabin category changes.

You had to ask about calling in for a $10 price drop so why not just call instead of wasting time here.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would assume because the OP was looking to chat about the topic, to see if there were any other aspects they hadn't considered, and to offer the opportunity for the discussion to inform others - e.g. the recent posts about being careful with what rates you are comparing, and the risk of losing an OBC amount that exceeds the potential savings.

I've certainly gotten value out of this thread, even if I am not likely to be in a situation with currently-booked cruises to get any price drops - two of them are in relatively unique cabins, and therefore there are very few exact class cabins to compete with, and I believe they are all booked now anyway.

Now that they have discontinued the fare viewer, how does everyone check prices?

I find it hard and a waste of time trying to find a lower price by "mock booking". Talking with my PVP, was told that it is difficult to find lower prices as it is hard to compare category for category, which is what you must do. Very frustrating and the PVP told me that a lot of complaints have been made. Makes no sense and makes it easier for Carnival to hide the price drops. Maybe someone on here may have a better way of finding lower prices.

How long on average does it take to hear back about a price drop approval? I filled out the form last week and haven't heard back. I just sent it in again, thankfully price hasn't changed since last week.

I submitted one last week and it took less than 15 minutes and I had a response. I think it may of even been less than 10 minutes.

I submitted one last week and it took less than 15 minutes and I had a response. I think it may of even been less than 10 minutes.

Thanks, I just heard back and it was approved. It was a $350 drop I was only expecting $150!! Unfortunately I just ordered $400 in cards form AARP but only have $47 left to pay.

Thanks, I just heard back and it was approved. It was a $350 drop I was only expecting $150!! Unfortunately I just ordered $400 in cards form AARP but only have $47 left to pay.

Looks like you have $353 in gift cards to spend on board or put toward your next cruise. But if you don't want to hold onto them, I'll be happy to take them and get rid of them for you. ;p