Transpacific cruise from Sydney to Hawaii - port or starboard side?

BrookeJ75

Because your route is at a northerly angle:

Starboard side gets the sun in the morning.

Port side gets the sun in the afternoon.

That's what you can consider for sea days, which my guess is they well outnumber port days.

But since you asked about port days: do you have a preference as to whether your balcony faces the port or out to sea when you are docked? Usually there is no way to predict this. And a large ship sailing the South Pacific will likely be tendering at somewhere around half the port calls anyway.

Because your route is at a northerly angle:

Starboard side gets the sun in the morning.

Port side gets the sun in the afternoon.

That's what you can consider for sea days, which my guess is they well outnumber port days.

But since you asked about port days: do you have a preference as to whether your balcony faces the port or out to sea when you are docked? Usually there is no way to predict this. And a large ship sailing the South Pacific will likely be tendering at somewhere around half the port calls anyway.

Side for the ports is irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Flip a coin. It's pretty rare that you can predict how a ship will dock. Some docks are parallel with the port. Some docks are perpendicular. Sometimes they dock nose in. Sometimes they dock back in. Sometimes they're tendered (don't dock at all). So not something that factors into cabin selection for us.

I would not worry about what side you are on. Either one will be fine.

If you are bothered with respect to the roughness of the sea I would place my emphasis on what deck you are on and the location of the room on the deck.

Keith

Regarding ports -- it's a coin flip, no one knows for sure until they're pulling into port. Regarding the position of the sun -- it's a coin flip, since you're crossing the equator about half way along.

What does crossing the equator have to do with the sun? The sun will still rise in the east and set in the west. EM

What does crossing the equator have to do with the sun? The sun will still rise in the east and set in the west. EM

Yes, but the sun is never directly overhead unless you are on the equator......in the northern hemisphere, the sun is always a little to the south, and in the southern hemisphere, the sun is always a little to the north. How far north or south it is depends on how far you are from the equator, and whether it's winter or summer. So, if you're traveling eastward between NY and Europe, for instance, the sun will rise and fall on the starboard side of the ship and the port side will have more shade. If you're traveling eastward between Argentina and South Africa, the sun will primarily rise and set on the port side of the ship, and the starboard side will get more shade.

Yes, but the sun is never directly overhead unless you are on the equator......in the northern hemisphere, the sun is always a little to the south, and in the southern hemisphere, the sun is always a little to the north. How far north or south it is depends on how far you are from the equator, and whether it's winter or summer. So, if you're traveling eastward between NY and Europe, for instance, the sun will rise and fall on the starboard side of the ship and the port side will have more shade. If you're traveling eastward between Argentina and South Africa, the sun will primarily rise and set on the port side of the ship, and the starboard side will get more shade.

Not exactly true unless you’re at ‘higher’ latitudes. Whether the sun is north or south of you depends on your location and the time of the year (the declination of the sun). In April on a trip from Australia to Hawaii, the sun will be in a northerly direction when starting out (since the sun has a north declination) and will be overhead sometime after crossing the equator and will be to the south upon arrival in Hawaii.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not exactly true unless you’re at ‘higher’ latitudes. Whether the sun is north or south of you depends on your location and the time of the year (the declination of the sun). In April on a trip from Australia to Hawaii, the sun will be in a northerly direction when starting out (since the sun has a north declination) and will be overhead sometime after crossing the equator and will be to the south upon arrival in Hawaii.

thanks cool cruiser. So based on previous comments does that mean it will be starboard in the morning before equator then port afterwards?

thanks cool cruiser. So based on previous comments does that mean it will be starboard in the morning before equator then port afterwards?

Since the ship will be heading in a generally NE direction it really won’t make a whole lot of difference which side you’re on as far as the amount of sunshine you’ll get. Of course, in the morning the sun will rise on the starboard side of the ship and the port side will get more sunshine in later in the morning and for the remainder of the day. Since you’ll be spending so much time in the tropics, I don’t think it’ll make much difference from a temperature perspective but if you’re looking to lie out on your balcony and tan (or burn, as the case may be), you should probably go with the port side.