Silver Spirit Extension weekend event

WesW

Astonishing photographs.

I can't show them to DH. He's already worried enough about the glue.

It is quite bittersweet and more than a little crushing. The Spirit was my first Silversea cruise, and I will always compare everything else to that cruise, which was magical.

More great pictures. Helps me understand the pool deck a little better as I can see they cut the pool in at least half. Maybe it will end up larger. Also looks like there’ll now be more tables along the port and starboard sides of the pool deck as that looks like where the 49-59 foot gain on that deck is being added.

Edited by Randyk47

And the last few photos showing the Spirit extension being put in place. Thanks again to our TA for sending these incredibly mesmerizing ship photos.

459880a1d90d43e09953b2410c013945.jpeg

764bacb475dbd9cf09fb00f58328fe9b.jpeg

90a3cc9db5edbc70607b0c90965cee29.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve never sailed on the Spirit, preferring the smaller vessels, so I can’t share the emotional attachment of others. But I do love the mechanics of things such as this. (I used to sell equipment that was used the bowels of ships, and have been extremely lucky in the past to have been in the heart of major works, and even aboard for sea trials.)

Spinnaker2 - assure your DH that there are three decks below where any passengers are allowed, where crew live and engineers keep things running, and they will want to make sure things are safe. The vessel will be re-certified as seaworthy via extensive sea trials long before any paying pax are aboard. There will be a few contractors on board during the sea trials, so they’re motivated to make sure the glue holds too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Spirit last November and booked a cruise for December of this year. All the talk was of the "slice." We have wondered how in the world it would happen. These amazing photos are great. THANKS👍 I am less concerned about the enlargement of the ship now that I see the actual size if the insert. I think there is an excellent chance that the Spirit will retain its small ship feel. We are now really excited to experience the "new Spirit" in December and see if my optimism us justified.

We are now really excited to experience the "new Spirit" in December and see if my optimism us justified.
Look forward to reading your thoughts during/after your December voyage. From comments here it looks like I'm in the minority, but I'm super excited about the Musifying of the Spirit. I've been lucky to sail on Silversea's smallest (Cloud) and largest (Muse) non-expedition ships, as well as those in between (Shadow/Whisper), and must say I thoroughly enjoyed all of the incredible variety provided by the Muse.

We were on the Spirit last November and booked a cruise for December of this year. All the talk was of the "slice." We have wondered how in the world it would happen. These amazing photos are great. THANKS👍 I am less concerned about the enlargement of the ship now that I see the actual size if the insert. I think there is an excellent chance that the Spirit will retain its small ship feel. We are now really excited to experience the "new Spirit" in December and see if my optimism us justified.

While I still have some concerns I do agree seeing more or less where the insert fits I feel a bit better. Love the Spirat so time will tell. Restuarant change still a bit of a worry.

Found this in the Cruise Industry News website this morning.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/18700-silver-spirit-cut-in-two.html

Thanks for the link and information. I noticed from the pictures, and then checking the revised deck plan, that they have removed the forward center staircase on the pool deck. Looks like they’ll put two replacement staircases on the port and starboard sides of the pool deck to get up to the deck above. Guess I have no life to pay this much attention.

Randy,

I found myself looking for the Pratesi linens in those suites we could look into...I mean were the beds still made? Its so exacting, like looking into a foldout dollhouse and watching the parts perfectly fit as they come together.

and thanks mleh. It won't help to tell DH the actual facts because his is a totally irrational fear and mostly because he's a psychiatrist.

we are now less than 40 days out to our Muse crossing...

Randy,

I found myself looking for the Pratesi linens in those suites we could look into...I mean were the beds still made? Its so exacting, like looking into a foldout dollhouse and watching the parts perfectly fit as they come together.

and thanks mleh. It won't help to tell DH the actual facts because his is a totally irrational fear and mostly because he's a psychiatrist.

I had almost forgotten about your Muse crossing! I'll be looking forward to your reports as I would think it would be (could be) similar to "OUR" crossing on the Spirit in Sept!

Must admit, I'm a little concerned about the stretch. Guess I'll have to wait for some cruisers to give us the skinny on just how all of this will turn out!

Well, as the saying goes, if it’s not one thing, it’s a mother ...

Enjoy the countdown!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Randy,

Spinnaker -- are you on the Muse to Dublin?

Dusababy aka Mary Ann

With attention to detail like that, it would be fun to cruise with you someday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. Would love to! Have to say we’ve been on ships that have had everything from “lipstick” remodels to fairly major renovations between our cruises on them but never one that has gone through this process and it fascinates me. Helps that we spent 18 days on the Spirit this past November so we know her pretty well.

This article about the Lengthening of the Spirit is written by the avid cruiser and a highlight is a two and half minute video of the first cut of the Spirit lengthening:

https://www.avidcruiser.com/2018/03/silver-spirit-lengthened/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-18-18-Avid-Cruiser-newsletter