Jamaica state of emergency

merknerk

Just received a text from my daughter in law and she said that because of violence in Jamaica they are in state of emergency . Only certain parts . Are warning travelers not to go outside resorts. Any ideas how this will effect cruises ? We will be sailing there in a couple of weeks with our family.

Hopefully the violence will have subsided and or your port of call is not affected. If things are still bad, another port may be substituted by the cruise line.

If you feel concerned for your safety, don't get off the ship if it still visits the island.

Jamaica, one of those places that after going once have NO desire to go back. If Jamaica was on the itinerary of another cruise I took, I would stay on the boat.

Our very first "real" vacation was to an AI in Negril back in 2002. I fell in love with the island; beautiful scenery and beautiful people. Then over the years it's just gotten so bad that I have no desire to go back. I still think it's the prettiest island I've ever been to.

It looks like a Level 2, same as Mexico. Personally, I wouldn't think twice about doing excursions in either place. Would I walk around by myself in certain areas? Probably not. No different than certain areas in the U.S.

Jamaica, one of those places that after going once have NO desire to go back. If Jamaica was on the itinerary of another cruise I took, I would stay on the boat.

We sailed 3 times to Jamaica and always did something interesting and exciting. And we were docked in Falmouth... not even in Ocho Rios.

Dunn’s river falls, Martha Brae river rafting ... MoBay beach and snorkeling . Area around Falmouth port isn’t very pleasant... I think it looks scarier than it is. But in other places we never felt unsafe. Yes in MoBay we were offered weed, it wasn’t difficult to refuse.

Next time we will go ashore again I am sure.

You do realize that when you stop at Labadee you are not really going into Haiti, right?

How do you figure that? It is 100% Haiti with several hundred locals employed by RCCL. Due to political reasons the locals (within the past year) formed a blockade so no ships could port. Only a fence separates the general population.

You do realize that when you stop at Labadee you are not really going into Haiti, right?

Of course. I'm sure you recall this https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/cruiselog/2016/01/20/royal-caribbean-ship-drops-haiti-amid-protests/79056806/

You may argue that this was a single event and it may have been as far as RCI was concerned. But Haiti and Jamaica both have histories of violence and being in a "private" area is no protection at all.

How do you figure that? It is 100% Haiti with several hundred locals employed by RCCL. Due to political reasons the locals (within the past year) formed a blockade so no ships could port. Only a fence separates the general population.

You are correct, I worded that horribly!

So when has that actually affected anyones vacation there lately?

Did I read correctly that the protests were 2 years ago?

That particular incident with FOS was in 2016, yes. It's just what I thought you might recall since this is a RCL thread. Haiti is a violent place - google is your friend.

There are enough itineraries available that if my wife and I don't feel comfortable we can skip them. She has her own reasons for not going to Jamaica.

Not only a fence separates the general population but also armed guards equipped with AK47’s. I’ve seen them several times at the top gate by the zip line

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

Not only a fence separates the general population but also armed guards equipped with AK47’s. I’ve seen them several times at the top gate by the zip line

If there is the need for guards with AKs that is reason enough not to bother stopping there.

If that’s your criteria for not stopping there...Then there’s not many places for you to stop. Every stop/country I’ve cruised to has some sort of armed security...Military, Police or Private Security. Some are hidden better then others but they are there. Might be I notice them because I’m retired Military

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

I never leave the ship when making a stop in Jamaica. It's a sad situation.

Totally agree! It is a great day to stay on the ship and enjoy our "private yacht"!

Our last excursion to Jamaica was Dunn's Falls. After the Falls we had a boat trip back to the ship. The people from that company were downright nasty. We wanted to go back to the top of the Falls and look at the vendors to kill the time. They told us we could not go back up. The boat to the ship was delayed so we waited and waited. Once on the boat the gave us drinks...then they proceeded to go as fast as possibly so we were all wearing our drinks! As we approached the ship they told us to stand up, dance, and show that we were having a great time. NO ONE stood up!

If it is a choice between an itinerary that has Jamaica and one that does not...we prefer not to stop at this island. Yes, from afar it is beautiful...but the people make it very ugly.

You see them at top of roller coaster as well. All countries have their security

I expect to see a police/military presence at every stop. In fact, I look for them. If it reaches what I consider an unacceptable level we don't go back. Puerta Vallarta and Mazatlan are examples. Full gear with automatic weapons, troops in deuce and a halfs in the streets - in the case of Mazatlan the mayor of one of the suburbs was murdered on the beach by the local cartel. Which reminds me, wasn't there are cartel shooting at a tourist site in Cabo San Lucas a few months ago. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.