Tip ?

I'm not trying to start a big thing here,I just am new to royal Caribbean. We booked for our family of 5. I understand all the cruise lines charge for infants. But I just found out that royal is going to charge them for tips just as they were adults. My wife and I take care of them in every aspect. So are they charging the tip just because there will be diapers in the garbage? Ridiculous. Are these tips able to be removed? If so I will be doing so and not because I'm a jerk or cheap. It's just common sense. I think they charge to much to begin with for a infant anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you have anytime or mytime dining gratuities have to be prepaid.

If you have fixed , gratuity pre payment is optional.

Thanks for clarifying for me. This way when I call I'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to start a big thing here,I just am new to royal Caribbean. We booked for our family of 5. I understand all the cruise lines charge for infants. But I just found out that royal is going to charge them for tips just as they were adults. My wife and I take care of them in every aspect. So are they charging the tip just because there will be diapers in the garbage? Ridiculous. Are these tips able to be removed? If so I will be doing so and not because I'm a jerk or cheap. It's just common sense. I think they charge to much to begin with for a infant anyways.

I agree with your sentiments. Tips for kids should be $0 or at the most 50% of the adult rate.

So you and your wife will be making their bed, and going to the galley to get their meals for them too?

An infant-is probably not sleeping in a bed and eating anything from the galley. I've often thought that parents with an infant do have a valid point.

they will also fawn all over your child everywhere it is. and sorry but having to deal with feces and urine deserves a tip.

children cost money. when you have then you accept that

furthermore your child is taking up a berth that will NOT be supplemented by an adult buying booze, eating in specialty restaurants and otherwise generating income.

Not trying to argue, but I recommend waiting to decide on modifying the tip after you can see how much or how little service is given to your family. We have traveled with a 5 month old. We paid full gratuity, but I felt they deserved it.

Its been a few years, but some things that stand out were putting up and taking down of pack n play, making sure we had extra space in dining room to bring stroller in so baby could sleep, giving us extra help at dinner time with other kids while we had our hands full taking care of the baby. Just a few things I remember that made me think the service on a cruise made it an enjoyable way to vacation with an infant.

But by all means, if you dont feel the gratuity matches the service, feel free to adjust!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

The way I am reading your post you indicate 5 individuals and refer to "them" - are you cruising with husband, wife, infant, and two other children?

Regardless of the number, each person/child/infant is requested to pay tips - perhaps you may choose to not pay them; however that is unfortunate for the staff.

As others have said, there are still beds, towels, garbage, etc. and usually families/children tend to be pretty messy compared to two adults or a single in a cabin. The same thing in dining locations - children, high chairs, etc. are more work for the crew, and they do work terribly hard to keep babies and children happy.

Sorry that you feel that way - don't want to get into crew wages, tips, etc. but that is part of the big picture. $12 per day (assuming a regular cabin) per person really is not a great deal of money when you consider all the other expenses.

With all due respect, this has been discussed a multitude of times and generally the conversation ends up with the same outcome. The cruise line and the staff are expecting the full gratuity amount, but feel free to do as you see best. That said, be prepared for a multitude of replies for and against reducing/not tipping for an infant. Now, I'm off to go find some popcorn.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A 3rd person rate let's say is 400 dollars. That third person can be 6 months or 60 years old. The rate don't change. Than I'm expected to pay the same in Tips for a 60 years old as opposed to a infant 6 month old. Where's the logic in that really. Oh thanks for the high chair here's a 5 spot for that. Give me a break to criticize me

I think that the best advice was given by Ang73. Wait and see what kind of service that you receive before deciding.

I felt exactly the same way that you did prior to our first cruise with the children however at the end of that cruise I had changed my mind after seeing how hard those folks worked.

At least by waiting you can make an educated decision based on facts.

Interestingly enough, throughout the day I have typed 3 replies here and then deleted them all. I knew this is the way the thread would go, they always do. Now OP is cheesed off and next he will be given parenting advice.

OP, I will ask this - would you mind saying how old your baby is?

Hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

...I'm expected to pay the same in Tips for a 60 years old as opposed to a infant 6 month old. Where's the logic in that really...
I agree there is no logic in that. A 6 month old will in general create much more of a mess, so logically should be paying double tips.

A 3rd person rate let's say is 400 dollars. That third person can be 6 months or 60 years old. The rate don't change. Than I'm expected to pay the same in Tips for a 60 years old as opposed to a infant 6 month old. Where's the logic in that really. Oh thanks for the high chair here's a 5 spot for that. Give me a break to criticize me

Im sorry if you felt I was criticizing...I was just offering my opinion. And to be fair, you said in your first comment that its "just common sense" that you wouldn't tip for an infant. So are you saying we dont have common sense if we do?

People who feel that you should tip for an infant could feel equally criticized for that statement. So be careful not to jump on those who offer their opinion.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Edited by ang73

If I remember correctly, Carnival used to charge half the gratuities for infants, and I thought that was fair. I can tell you that babies get treated well, especially by dining staff, and the room steward has their work cut out for them as well. While full gratuity amount may be high, at least half to 75% would probably still be fair if you're really insistent that 100% is too much, but that is ultimately your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Interestingly enough, throughout the day I have typed 3 replies here and then deleted them all. I knew this is the way the thread would go, they always do. Now OP is cheesed off and next he will be given parenting advice.

OP, I will ask this - would you mind saying how old your baby is?

Hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

I wondered the same thing (my post #15). He indicated a party of 5 including the infant, so I was assuming two adults and three children (infant plus two), but he/she never came back to clarify.

Agree that waiting until the family sees how hard the staff works to take care of the children/infant would be a good way to go.

I agree there is no logic in that. A 6 month old will in general create much more of a mess, so logically should be paying double tips.

Absolutely agree. The infant will need sheets changed, use towels and create stinky diapers that must be disposed of. Will also make more of a mess in the dining room than any adult. OP, you do realize that tips constitute a large portion of the staff's income, right? Of course you can remove or reduce tips but my conscience wouldn't let me even if I wanted to.