Parental Consent letter???

jordanaire

My son, who is divorced, is taking his 10-yr old son on the June 26th sailing of the Carnival Splendor. I have a couple of questions regarding his taking my grandson with him on this cruise:

1) Does he actually need a letter of consent from the divorced mother?

2) If so, does this letter need to be notarized?

My son drew up a letter asking her permission to take him and she signed it, but it's not notarized. Will this cause any issues with Carnival? He wants to make sure all of his bases are covered before flying to Miami.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Carnival will "never" ask for a signed and notarized letter to any parent taking their child on a cruise. This happens thousands of times a week in some form, even with parent(s)/children where divorce isn't an issue.

As long as your son has medical power of attorney (no proof needed) he is golden. Don't let people "scare" you into believing that things are otherwise.

A parent generally doesn't have a problem taking their children, I've never had a problem with my daughter and never had to produce anything besides her passport. But when I took my daughters friend the guy checking passports upon return did ask for the notarized letter for her friend. I don't know if her friend having a different last name was a factor or not in his decision to asked for it.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

I always took a notarized letter when sailing with my children when they were young. My husband does not cruise and I was only asked for it one time, and yes, it was on a Carnival cruise. I say, better be safe than sorry. Perhaps you have a friend who is a notary and can do it for you quickly.

When I cruised with a minor nephew with a different last name, Carnival showed no interest in the notarized letter I got from his Mom.

US Customs in Miami however, asked me to produce the letter after the cruise was over.

Edited by evandbob

My daughter wanted to take her cousin, my niece, on a cruise, and I got a letter from her Dad that was not notarized. My niece was 16 at the time, and Carnival never asked for a letter. Her last name is different from ours, they were just concerned with her having a BC, no mention ever of a consent letter. This may not be true in every case, just what happened to me.

We cruised in January from Tampa with our grandson (4) without either of his parents. Had a notarized letter and never got asked for it even at the boarder. Our other DD brought her 2 children (3 & 1) and not their father, she had a letter witnessed by a commissioner of oaths and also never got asked for it. Last name of our grandson is different than ours and only one of our DD children has her last name. I think it was better safe than sorry for us. Our letter was only notarized because our DD had her lawyer do it with her ex. The other DD only got a commissioner of oaths because that was easier and cost effective for her.

When I took my minor children out of the country I always had a notorized letter from my X.

Immigration is the most likely spot of needing it. You may never need it, but it is such a minor thing to get. If you are not the parent/legal guardian make sure the paper gives you authority to make medical decisions (most important thing on the paper...IMHO)

You don't need a letter.

Even Carnival says you don't need it.

Immigration and customs don't say you need it.

If you happen to have a letter it could potentially save you from a 30 second delay where they ask the kid who they are traveling with and where. That is it.

My mother and my father and my ex and I have all traveled with my daughter to Canada, jamaica, and on 6 cruises separately. That is 3 different last names. She has a passport. They have asked her 2-3 questions in front of us that lasted about 12 seconds a couple of times. That is it.

If you notice, while people say they have been asked for a letter, there is not one instance of someone being asked and not having it OR of them having any adverse effects of not having a letter. Yet a vast majority of people have never heard of this and wouldn't know where/how to get a notarized letter to begin with. I would suspect that at most, people are producing this letter without being asked in an effort to make sure it is seen that they have it and are prepared.

Just use your common sense. If you happen to be in the neighborhood of a notary you can go get this letter. But you may as well get one for every single time you have the child since proof of custody could potentially ALWAYS be an issue whether you are getting off a boat in Florida or going out to eat. If the child has some behaviors that make it look like they are potentially being kidnapped, yes for sure, get a letter. If the child can answer "Where did you go? and "Who is this?" in a friendly conversational way you are good to go.

Im glad someone brought this up so here is a little different situation I have a question about.

My mother and I am taking my 5 year ol nephew on Magic in 60 days. Im under the impression that we DO need a notarized consent letter with both his mother and father's (my brother) signature?

So, is the letter need or not when both parents arent traveling with the minor? To be safe, we've got it taken care of anyway :) The letter also has consent to authorize medical treatment.

Edited by ryano

Im glad someone brought this up so here is a little different situation I have a question about.

My mother and I am taking my 5 year ol nephew on Magic in 60 days. Im under the impression that we DO need a notarized consent letter with both his mother and father's (my brother) signature?

To be safe, we've got it taken care of :) The letter also has consent to authorize medical treatment.

So what is the question?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I always took the letter but was never asked for it.

Not on a cruise--we were in London going through customs when the man asked my son "So, you know this lady?" My son, 12 at the time, looked at me and said "No, I've never seen her before in my life." I was astonished! I was asking him why he said that. Good thing he's a clone, we look so much alike, so the man just laughed and on we went. (My son always got the Mr. Humor award in grade school.)

Edited by crusinpsychRN

So, is the letter need or not when both parents arent traveling with the minor? To be safe, we've got it taken care of anyway :) The letter also has consent to authorize medical treatment.

?? The letter is never needed. According to immigration/customs and Carnivals website it is not required

From what I have read in the past (8 or 9 years ago), supposedly, you need a letter in Mexico to re-enter the port area. That being said, we have always had one for my step son, but never had to produce it. The only cruise line that ever asked to see it was Disney, and that was only once. Personally, we have always felt it was better to have it and not need it. From personal experience, I imagine you would be fine without it.

Yes it is true every situation is different. I can only speak for myself. Royal Caribbean definately asked me once for the letter when I travel with my grandkids.

Twice on the Spendor out of NY I was asked for the letter. Last year on the Conquest Carnival didn't ask for the letter but, I had it just in case, but when we went thru immigration they asked for it and even asked the kids whom they are traveling with.

So like everyone says it is better to have it then not to, just in case for peace of mind.

My son, who is divorced, is taking his 10-yr old son on the June 26th sailing of the Carnival Splendor. I have a couple of questions regarding his taking my grandson with him on this cruise:

1) Does he actually need a letter of consent from the divorced mother?

2) If so, does this letter need to be notarized?

My son drew up a letter asking her permission to take him and she signed it, but it's not notarized. Will this cause any issues with Carnival? He wants to make sure all of his bases are covered before flying to Miami.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

You are going to get a variety of opinions on this issue. I'm not going to pretend to know which of them is right, but if you work under the assumption that it is better to have something and not need it than to need it and not have it then I would do the following:

It seems that mom is OK with everything so why not just have her do another letter that authorizes your son to take your grandson on the cruise, and granting him power to make medical decisions (I really don't think that legally that is needed he can do that anyway). Get her to sign it and get her to have it notarized (she can do it at the bank or maybe even at work).

Probably not needed, doing ti this way he has all his ducks in a row and can not worry about vacation.

So you have it whether or not you need it. A smart decision. All your ducks are in a row, well maybe. Make sure you have authority to authorize medical care in case you need it. Not having it will not delay emergency treatment, but might delay treatment for minor things until the ship can get in touch with the parents.