Miami to Venice on the Explorer

mrlevin

Just kicking off the seamail; we are looking forward to our first trip on the Explorer of the Seas; oops, I mean the Seven Seas Explorer. We are traveling with my step-father in an aft G2 cabin; will be a fun experience; the three of us have never shared a cabin before.

Festivities start with a great night in Miami followed by 24 nights at sea. Hopefully, we will have lots of seamail to share.

Marc

Just kicking off the seamail; we are looking forward to our first trip on the Explorer of the Seas; oops, I mean the Seven Seas Explorer. We are traveling with my step-father in an aft G2 cabin; will be a fun experience; the three of us have never shared a cabin before.

Festivities start with a great night in Miami followed by 24 nights at sea. Hopefully, we will have lots of seamail to share.

Marc

On our way to Miami now. See you tomorrow. Look for us in our Regent silky t-shirts... Courtesy of Regent Rewards points.

Sandy and Dana

Reading these with a twinge of jealousy as we don't board until Barcelona. Will be looking forward to the reports of the ship, crew, and madcap antics of the CC gang...enjoy your crossing!

Edited by UUNetBill
Corrected an autocorrect

Marc, all have a terrific voyage--look forward to reading more posts and hopefully viewing a few photos. Marc if u have a moment, please pass our warm regards along to Olivia (missed her on Auckland to Sydney) and to Marcie and Tom.

Marc, all have a terrific voyage--look forward to reading more posts and hopefully viewing a few photos. Marc if u have a moment, please pass our warm regards along to Olivia (missed her on Auckland to Sydney) and to Marcie and Tom.

Thanks Wes ! We're here, finally. We had a tough time getting here yesterday from LAX. Our AA aircraft was delayed 16 hours coming from Hong Kong to LAX. It was to leave at 9:00am but scheduled time kicked back to 10:15. We get on the plane and settle in only to get announcement to gather our belongings and de-plane. We found out that the co-pilot was sick and they needed to find a replacement. They kept changing our departure time. They eventually found another co-pilot brought in from (get this...) San Diego !! Yikes. We took off 5 hours late so completely missed our dinner plans in MIA. Luckily , we were with another couple, good friends to hang out with during this ordeal.

Mark Conroy was also on our flight so it was wonderful having a chance to visit with him and catch up (Regent sure misses him and he was so instrumental in the design of the Explorer). We made it to bed in Miami at 12:30 am and feel great today. We're visiting the Regent offices this afternoon and have a celebratory Regent 25th Anniversary dinner tonight (more than 100 of us in our group here) so super fun catching up with old friends and making new ones! We board the Explorer tomorrow.

Tom & I disembark in BCN and then fly back here to Miami and board the Mariner for Regent's inauguration cruise to Havana on April 11th. Great times ahead. Cheers!

Marc - We're eagerly looking forward to your comments on the ship and particularly regarding your G cabin, as that has been a matter of considerable confusion and disagreement.

Hi Freddie,

We are in a G1 suite on the Explorer. Everything is as expected/advertised. Excellent furnishings, comfortable bed, walk in closet and the balcony is deeper than others we have encountered. Bathroom is a little smaller than some, no tub, but is satisfactory. There is a lack of US outlets which seems rather strange and the TV is in the bedroom but can be viewed from on an angle fro the couch.

No whistling doors but I did have a look at the seals, some do not seem to be very secure in their tracks and instead of being straight from top to bottom the rubber type material is wavy for a few inches along the length. Looks like a dimensional and material issue, but we have no problem. A few creaks that sound like some one compressing a stiff material but I expect some noise on a ship. Vibration is barely noticeable. We have had up to thirty knot winds and the usual swells but the ship rides well. Overall we are happy campers.

Marc - We're eagerly looking forward to your comments on the ship and particularly regarding your G cabin, as that has been a matter of considerable confusion and disagreement.

We have three adults, combined age of 198, in an aft facing G2. We had a total of six suitcases. Everything is put away and all suitcases below beds.. Room smaller than F1 (seems to be cabin of choice) but perfectly fine. Right above infinity pool; can toss grapes to those in the pool. The fold out bed is gigantic; so much so that you can't go into drawers or fridge in desk once bed is opened. Arlene has opted to have them make up the couch as a bed (instead of opening the bed) after the first night so no issue.

No soot; not much vibration; but lots of rocking and rolling in the seas. Lots of storage with a great shower; what is not to like. Plus, it is great to be able to see both starboard and port.

I would book this cabin again (for two people) but Arlene now prefers F1 as they are expansive.

Marc

Having a great time. We are in an F2, very spacious and we love the angled balcony. We even have empty drawers! Service has been fantastic. Did have an issue yesterday at pool grill, my hot dog never came and then when it did was wrong. At that point I said I didn't need it. A few minutes later Katarina was at my table, telling me I absolutely needed my lunch, she personally took the order, may have fixed it herself and as one of our table mates said, did everything but hand feed it to me! We all got a laugh out of that, and the hot dog was good and exactly like I asked for it. We have dinner most nights with a group of 9, and have found a table in the back for 8 that seats 9 just fine. Last night in Prime7 we again had a table of 8 in the back and we were fine. The Staff seem happy, they are always smiling and saying "hello" and we are having a great time. Our suite has a light door whistle sometimes, nothing others.....we just crack the door open and it goes away.

So all in all off to a great start.

Thanks for the reports. The hot dog story made me laugh because something similar happened to me once. They brought the wrong thing, and I said it was ok, that I really didn't need the calories anyway. But the waiter was so insistent that he get me the right item, that he practically hand fed it to me.

Sounds like you're off to a great start! How could you possibly miss? Love the hot dog story, JoAnn! They try so hard to make sure everything is perfect!

Glad to hear your suite is working out Marc. Considering the amount of time we spend in there, it doesn't really matter, does it? I'd cruise in a closet if they'd let me!

Imagine the cards will start soon if they haven't already! Watch out for Marcie......sweet as sugar and smart as a whip!

I'll amen Wes, Marc. We are getting good email reports daily. But it's great to read fresh new perspectives on the board. Pat

Definitely!

Nice to hear from some long time cruisers and hear about the "lowly" (as if that applies on RSSC) suites first hand.

Cruise progressing wonderfully. We have sound issues (loud thunks that sound like cannons) that i can't isolate. I did get locked in an elevator for a short while but did eventually get out. Wonderful crew (best pool grill service i have ever had) and fantastic food and drink. Michael excellent Hotel Director and John the best as Cruise Director. Ship very pretty but definite design flaws. It looks like they are going to attempt to solve the forward looking weather deck issue; there is a door to the side of observation lounge that leads out to the roof of deck below; i think they just need to add railings and we are set.

I must have missed the CC Meet and Mingle but have run into some CCers onboard. We are having a great time; seven days down and 17 to go!!!!

I will try to answer any specific questions; just remember that the wifi is absolutely terrible so may be a couple of days before i am back onboard.

Marc

It's good to hear your reports albeit you have poor wifi. Glad you finding food and staff excellent, not so good to hear of your lift experience, or the cabin noise issue.

Hope you keep us updated when you can. Enjoy the next 17 days.:) Jean.