What do you do if you don't drink and want to hang out at the bar....

ELA

What an odd question. Even though I AM a drinker, I sometimes don't want a drink, and just sit at a bar and order water. You can hang out wherever you want to on a ship. I don't recall ever seeing a sign that says bars are reserved for drinkers only. LOL!

Soda water with a lime. Looks like a vodka soda or a vodka tonic and that's what I'll tell people if asked.

Add a splash of cranberry and it's really refreshing.

Just tell the bartender "another one" after the first and no one will suspect you're not drinking.

I get it though... inevitably someone will pressure you to drink if you're at the bar and not drinking. Most of the time I am drinking, but when I'm taking a break from drinking, I don't want/need the pressure.

Soda water with a lime. Looks like a vodka soda or a vodka tonic and that's what I'll tell people if asked.

Just tell the bartender "another one" after the first and no one will suspect you're not drinking.

I get it though... inevitably someone will pressure you to drink if you're at the bar and not drinking. Most of the time I am drinking, but when I'm taking a break from drinking, I don't want/need the pressure.

Are you 15? This is ridiculous.

No they won't. I've never had anyone even slightly pressure me in the entirety of my 35 years (so far) of sobriety. My Mountain Dew is just fine thank you. No need to make it look like a mixed drink just to make myself look like I fit in. HA HA HA 'pressure'... No one else cares what you are or are not drinking!

I'm not sure they serve coffee in all the bars/lounges.

Do they?

If you order an Irish Coffee in a bar or restaurant then coffee must be nearby

certainly not the specialty coffee or expresso stuff.

I'll have the Irish Coffee COLD (on the rocks) - SKIP the Irish and the fixens,

Don't knock it until you have tried it - the CAFFEINE is still there for the kick !

No they won't. I've never had anyone even slightly pressure me in the entirety of my 35 years (so far) of sobriety. My Mountain Dew is just fine thank you. No need to make it look like a mixed drink just to make myself look like I fit in. HA HA HA 'pressure'... No one else cares what you are or are not drinking!

How refreshing, :) A grown up.

Good for you and Well done.

It seems so simple for our O P to simply say, in response to any rude or ignoarn people pushing liquor : "I am drinking what I wish to have. This is what I want."

Originally posted by Maniacal Cruiser No they won't. I've never had anyone even slightly pressure me in the entirety of my 35 years (so far) of sobriety. My Mountain Dew is just fine thank you. No need to make it look like a mixed drink just to make myself look like I fit in. HA HA HA 'pressure'... No one else cares what you are or are not drinking!
How refreshing, :) A grown up.

Good for you and Well done.

It seems so simple for our O P to say, in response to any rude or ignorant people pushing liquor : "I am drinking what I wish to have. This is what I want."

Have you considered that are perspectives might be different because I said that I DO drink?

I was bartender for two years and I drink often. BUT, sometimes for various reasons, I choose not to drink. Does that mean I don't go want to go out and socialize with friends or sit at a bar where I don't know anyone? Nope. I go to places where I know people and those people will absolutely pressure me to drink. How do I know... it's happened to me many times. Now I just get a drink that looks like a drink. Problem solved.

Also, being both a former bartender and a current patron... I've witnessed people pressured to have a drink by drunks at the bar. Not once... but many times. So, I can empathize with someone who doesn't want to feel the anxiety of trying to enjoy themselves at a bar while not have a "drink."

So our perspectives are wildly different.

And, maybe no one cares what drink or what you do. But I think that's a problem for a different thread and another board. ;p

I totally get the awkwardness based on experiences at land bars. A lot of bars want you drinking and tipping or don't take up a stool where someone spending more can sit.

But it's not like that on a cruise ship. Enjoy. And now I have a great new "designated driver" joke.

You guys are awesome! I always feel bad for the waiters just sitting there taking space. Need to get out of my comfort zone I guess. LOL

Normally I would agree with that, because you can sit near the bar instead of at the actual bar, and still get to enjoy the entertainment without blocking drinkers from having easy access to the bartenders. And yes, I am thinking of the effect non-drinkers blocking the bar would have on tips. But on NCL the vast majority of people are on the beverage package, so I doubt it has much effect at all. Regardless, no one else needs to know what is in your glass.