Insurance or not /need a little advice

Team

Hello thanks for taking the time read this post. We find ourselves in a bit of a conundrum, we have put our deposit down for the December 4 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, we have until September 5 to cancel and receive our deposit back or pay the full remaining amount. Our problem is that we have a 40% chance of not being able to make the December cruise

This is not our first cruise and with our prior cruises we never had any insurance. We need to know is there an insurance company that will ensure us in case of cancellation.? We may not know if we will make the cruise until late in November.

I realize we could just cancel with Celebrity get a full deposit back and wait and see what happens and possibly book on another ship later but we got such a great deal on this cruise that were reluctant to do that.. We don't need lost luggage, missed connections or any of the other insurance that companies provide.

We are not fond of dealing with insurance companies because it seems like when it's time for them to pay there are surprises and surprises usually cost the insured money.

I just thought I would throw it out there and see what advice some of the more seasoned cruises may have. Any suggestions and/or advice will be appreciated. If someone could recommend a no nonsense insurance company would also appreciate that.

Thanking you in advance

Tom and Nina

You are looking for a "cancel for any reason" policy provision.

If you Google travel insurance you'll find a website or two that compares a lot of policies from different companies and let's you search for features like that.

Celebrity's own policy offers this feature but it does not provide a cash refund. Instead if you cancel for a reason not otherwise covered (like illness or another covered emergency) then it provides a future cruise credit of 75% of the non-refundable amounts paid to Celebrity.

In any event whenever you are considering purchasing a travel insurance policy you really need to read the policy terms before buying it. Celebrity's is on their website. The policies only provide the coverages specifically stated in the policy and do not cover all contingencies or problems.

Edited by Lsimon

Hello thanks for taking the time read this post. We find ourselves in a bit of a conundrum, we have put our deposit down for the December 4 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, we have until September 5 to cancel and receive our deposit back or pay the full remaining amount. Our problem is that we have a 40% chance of not being able to make the December cruise

This is not our first cruise and with our prior cruises we never had any insurance. We need to know is there an insurance company that will ensure us in case of cancellation.? We may not know if we will make the cruise until late in November.

I realize we could just cancel with Celebrity get a full deposit back and wait and see what happens and possibly book on another ship later but we got such a great deal on this cruise that were reluctant to do that.. We don't need lost luggage, missed connections or any of the other insurance that companies provide.

We are not fond of dealing with insurance companies because it seems like when it's time for them to pay there are surprises and surprises usually cost the insured money.

I just thought I would throw it out there and see what advice some of the more seasoned cruises may have. Any suggestions and/or advice will be appreciated. If someone could recommend a no nonsense insurance company would also appreciate that.

Thanking you in advance

Tom and Nina

You may want to view the site, "Insuremytrip ". It's a great resource for travel insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You don't mention why you might need to cancel and it's none of my business. Unless it's a standard covered reason like death or illness of a very close relative or your travel companion the prior post is correct that you probably want "Cancel any reason" insurance.

I use insuremytrip website to shop for trip insurance. I have bought Travel Insured International many times (now owned by Crum & Forster). Historically I used Worldwide Trip Protector because I wanted the pre-existing condition waiver. I did have a claim when my dad passed away 3 days before sailing and the claim was paid without issue.

I have recently been buying Worldwide Trip Protector plus because I need the Cancel for any Reason coverage. The policy states something like other than a covered reason. I'm not sure this would include "I just changed my mind". You might want to call insuremytrip or the company directly for clarification for your specific requirements.

IMO, and it is just my opinion, you are probably too close to sailing and much to late to purchase trip insurance between now and Sept. 5. If you are 40% sure you will not be able to sail, regardless of the great deal you got, you should cancel now, get your deposit back and look for a Tuesday special or last minute booking for the cruise. Your deal might be equally as great.

On that note has anyone used Allianz Global Assistance World Wide Travel for coverage? They seem to have better coverages than Celebritys and have pretty good online reviews.

FYI we always get insurance for our cruises. You just never know.

One thing I need to check is how do you get reimbursed hopefully not just 75% of cruise price.

IMO, and it is just my opinion, you are probably too close to sailing and much to late to purchase trip insurance between now and Sept. 5. If you are 40% sure you will not be able to sail, regardless of the great deal you got, you should cancel now, get your deposit back and look for a Tuesday special or last minute booking for the cruise. Your deal might be equally as great.

I pretty much agree....insurance companies are in the business of making money.....I can't imagine an insurance company that would offer you a cancel for any reason policy just 4 days before your final payment date. I would call insure my trip...tell them honestly what is going on and the reason you might cancel the trip and see what they say. Make sure you are absolutely honest about your reasons and situation.

Good luck.....but I doubt you're going to find the insurance you want.

Personally, since it is too late to get a 'decent' policy, I would cancel and rebook if things looked up.

You also can take a look at the 'insurance forum' here on CC.

You will need to move quickly on any decision other than not cancel....

good luck and bon voyage

Personally, since it is too late to get a 'decent' policy, I would cancel and rebook if things looked up.

You also can take a look at the 'insurance forum' here on CC.

You will need to move quickly on any decision other than not cancel....

good luck and bon voyage

Pay no attention to these. You can still get a cancel for any reason policy including pre-existing condition waiver. Of course they will be more expensive if purchased this close to final payment. Check out InsureMyTrip.com and compare some plans.

Final payment doesn't have anything to do with insurance coverage. (With the exception of the cruise line's insurance) You can purchase coverage up until the day before the cruise for medical and trip interruption. Pre-existing conditions are covered without extra cost if purchase within a certain number of days of original booking date with most policies. You do have to look carefully at the conditions of each policy to see if they would work for you.

Cost of the insurance is generally dependent on the cost of the trip and the age of the travelers.

Insuremytrip.com has been recommended here. Another good site is http://www.squaremouth.com.

Good luck!

Edited by hancock

Nationwide offers a couple of cruise specific Cancel for Any Reason plans that just have to be purchased prior to or on the same day as FINAL payment. Most others are within a short time after deposit. Go to Insure my Trip.com and check the box on the left for Cancel for any reason.

I agree that you just cancel and find another deal as good as you have.

Purchasing a trip insurance from a third party that covers cancellation for any reason will reimburse you up to 75% of your actual trip cost if purchased within 21 days days (like mine, but some are 15 days) of your cruise deposit.

We always use tripinsurancestore for our trip insurance.

Not sure of your situation, you didn't say whether it is health or another reason that would prevent you from taking your trip.

I believe you can still get the CSA policy which I believe even covers pre-existing conditions...but call the expert, Steve @ tripinsurancestore. He will help you out.

Agree with the post above--talk with Steve at tripinsurancestore.com. I have no affiliation with Steve or the website other than satisfied customer.

Also, check any credit card you have to determine if it will provide the insurance you need. Read the terms of the coverage very, very carefully. We have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card which provides coverage even if you only use the card to purchase part of your trip.

Let us know what you find out.

Betsy

We, too, have used Steve at the Trip Insurance Store with good luck. Has anyone heard of Emergency Assistance Plus (EA+) that was offered by American Airlines Advantage Program? Looking for feedback from anyone who may have used it.

Thanks and happy cruising!

We, too, have used Steve at the Trip Insurance Store with good luck. Has anyone heard of Emergency Assistance Plus (EA+) that was offered by American Airlines Advantage Program? Looking for feedback from anyone who may have used it.

Thanks and happy cruising!

Have you printed out the coverages and amounts and compared the coverages to insurance you have previously purchased?? Usually the coverage on the credit cards is secondary coverage and intended to fill the gaps of what other insurance has not covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

i would suggest you add the cost of your "cancel for any reason" insurance to the cost of the trip to see if the cruise is still a great deal.

for me personally, if there were a 40% chance i would have to cancel the trip, i would just cancel it now and take my chances of finding an equally good deal later.

I agree with this suggestion to cancel and rebook when you are sure. 40% is a high percentage. As I got older I never travel without insurance. I was stuck on an island for an additional 8 days when hurricane Irene hit the New York area and spent an additional $3,000 plus but was reimbursed every penny. Travel Guard is great for medical as they cover pre-existing conditions if the policy is purchased within 15 days of your initial deposit. Whatever company you choose just be sure it covers "cancel for any reason".

I agree with others that OP should cancel and rebook. Who knows, he might get a lower price.:) Even if it is higher, it can't be that much higher than the price of the booked cruise plus insurance for any reason.

Wonder what the OP did?

On that note has anyone used Allianz Global Assistance World Wide Travel for coverage? They seem to have better coverages than Celebritys and have pretty good online reviews.

FYI we always get insurance for our cruises. You just never know.

One thing I need to check is how do you get reimbursed hopefully not just 75% of cruise price.

Yes and they are an excellent cruise insurance company. Their coverages are always better than anything Celebrity can offer.

I have a friend who just filed a claim with them. They arrived into JFK from Europe on time, but the TSA, CBP, immigration lines were so long that they ended up missing their connection. They had to book a hotel and were given food vouchers for dinner only by the airline. Allianz paid for the hotel, the additional food and transfers to/from the hotel.

I hate insurance and rarely ever book it, but even now I'm booking Allianz with all the possible mishaps that come along with travel today.

Man of the traded "Travel" credit cards include trip insurance as well.

Citicard and Chase both have travel credit cards with generous travel insurance if you use their card to pay for the trips. Some have larger annual fees but I've found them to be a great value as I get $300 credit back per year on travel expenses such as airline tix. It also has price guarantee - I bought an iMac and 2 months later got an email saying they found the same computer almost $200 cheaper, would I like a "price rewind". uh... YES!

Not to plug credit cards but I love those perks and means I don't worry about insurance.

Man of the traded "Travel" credit cards include trip insurance as well.

Citicard and Chase both have travel credit cards with generous travel insurance if you use their card to pay for the trips. Some have larger annual fees but I've found them to be a great value as I get $300 credit back per year on travel expenses such as airline tix. It also has price guarantee - I bought an iMac and 2 months later got an email saying they found the same computer almost $200 cheaper, would I like a "price rewind". uh... YES!

Not to plug credit cards but I love those perks and means I don't worry about insurance.

Right. Some also avoid being over insured by not including those already covered by the card's travel insurance and paying less on the 3rd party insurance.

Another vote for cancel and rebook. If there was a 40% chance I'd get my money now and take a chance at a great Tuesday special.

I only bought travel insurance once and it was just the medical side (Safari in Africa). Otherwise we just take our chances.

good luck