Has The Quest been toned down recently?

I just got off a four night cruise on the Independence, my seventh RCI sailing. I've seen the Quest every time, but this year it seemed like it wasn't as risqué or edgy as I've seen in years past. Is this a concerted change to tone things down, or could my experience just have been a one-time fluke?

IMO, and its been a year, it varies dramatically by the Cruise Director. If you want Risque or edgy Ricky Matthews and everyone's favorite Ken Rush. If you wanted PG and boring it was Carly "whatshername" who was on Jewel as the most tame one I have ever been to.

Hi!

Did my 10th Quest (or so) this past September on the Jewel with Dennis Charles as CD. We had a couple cruising with us on their very first cruise, so their very first Quest as well. I wouldn't tell them all the details, so as not to give it away or spoil it for them, but I did tell them it was not for the shy or bashful.

I was wrong! Either it was the destination (Alaska) or the CD (Dennis) but it was quite G-rated, calm and very short. Still funny and worth going (we won!) but not ANYTHING like I was used to or expecting (Richard Spacey, Allan Brooks, Leigh Xuereb & Erky!) etc.

- Miriam

Dennis ran an OK Quest on Jewel, I do remember some guy showed up with easy $5k in camera equipment and sat front and center. Dennis kicked him out.

I apologize for not remembering either the ship or the CD (so many cruises, so few brain cells), but I think that the MOST "adult" quest I have ever seen happened like this:

It is supposed to be for adults.

The CD announced, "This is the Quest. It is an ADULT activity."

He announced it again, requesting that parents take their children OUT of the venue. He announced again, saying that he couldn't FORCE them to take their children out, but he was once again warning them.

When several parents just SAT THERE with their children, he proceeded to have the most risqué Quest I have ever attended!

Applause, applause!

;) :D

Haven't attended a Quest in a long time, but the last one I remember was hosted by Abe I think on the Rhapsody, maybe the Voyager. In that game the participants managed to break Abe's finger-he laughed about it. We had a great time and yes it was very risqué.

Does Anthem still have the traditional Quest, or have they moved to Dynamic Questing?;)

At first, they didn't have Quest, saying that there was no reasonable place to have it. (Quantum). They tried it in the SeaPlex. Problematic.

Abe asked to try it in Two70. Management said that it couldn't work in there. He begged. They tried.

It works. It's a little odd, but it works. I guess that it works because people really WANT it to work.

You really should try the Anthem! ;)

At first, they didn't have Quest, saying that there was no reasonable place to have it. (Quantum). They tried it in the SeaPlex. Problematic.

Abe asked to try it in Two70. Management said that it couldn't work in there. He begged. They tried.

It works. It's a little odd, but it works. I guess that it works because people really WANT it to work.

You really should try the Anthem! ;)

I'm willing to try Anthem, but not at the current pricing. I would also be more enthusiastic about trying it if it (or another Quantum class ship) was based in Florida, but that may be a long time.

I'm willing to try Anthem, but not at the current pricing. I would also be more enthusiastic about trying it if it (or another Quantum class ship) was based in Florida, but that may be a long time.

You an me both. I could drive to it in three hours but I'm not a big fan of sailing out of the northeast and the prices need to come down.

I apologize for not remembering either the ship or the CD (so many cruises, so few brain cells), but I think that the MOST "adult" quest I have ever seen happened like this:

It is supposed to be for adults.

The CD announced, "This is the Quest. It is an ADULT activity."

He announced it again, requesting that parents take their children OUT of the venue. He announced again, saying that he couldn't FORCE them to take their children out, but he was once again warning them.

When several parents just SAT THERE with their children, he proceeded to have the most risqué Quest I have ever attended!

Applause, applause!

;) :D

Other than that one older cruise director I mentioned earlier (whose quests were always super tame anyway) I have never had a Med cruise push to have kids leave----they do generally announce at the start that it will be wild and crazy and not meant for kids or toned down for them, but use your discretion, or something like that. And I do not think it should be toned down for them at all---but I also feel like parent's know their kids and what they are comfortable exposing them to, so don'T mind them being there.

Since it is no longer a surprise, the last few I have been to people bring shopping bags of accessories with them to play the game. That makes it much less entertaining. I think these "supplies" should be left at the door :)

I have seen that at every quest. I have also seen (and been part of) teams that beat those "cheaters" (I agree it is no fun t do it that way and refuse to team up with anyone who does---on smaller ships where it is not just entire sections of the ice rink).

But I have seen CDs get really creative such that nothing in the bags is of any help---impressively done. I love it when they throw people for loops like that--much more fun and exciting.

Does Anthem still have the traditional Quest, or have they moved to Dynamic Questing?;)

Ha ha!

What happened to your socks???

Top secret sock massacre. :p

The funniest, most risque Quest I ever attended was back in 2010 on the Serenade when Dennis was the CD. A few years later sailing on the Jewel, his Quest was one of the most boring ever. What a difference a few years made :(

All the ones I've seen in the past few years have barely been PG-13, totally tame. My Mom thought the one on the Serenade Snowbird Migration cruise last year was hysterical, but it was her first Quest and she didn't know any different. I was bored.

Other than that one older cruise director I mentioned earlier (whose quests were always super tame anyway) I have never had a Med cruise push to have kids leave----they do generally announce at the start that it will be wild and crazy and not meant for kids or toned down for them, but use your discretion, or something like that. And I do not think it should be toned down for them at all---but I also feel like parent's know their kids and what they are comfortable exposing them to, so don'T mind them being there.

It can make the adults uncomfortable or inhibited to have the kids there!

I can't go into Adventure Ocean.

Kids shouldn't go to The Quest.

Some Quests have been family friendly, but extremely funny, especially with the instant-replays. Others have been R-rated (full frontal nudity) and also very entertaining. It really depends on the cruise director and the crowd aboard. It's nice to have a mix of adults-only events as well as family friendly events throughout the cruise. They tend to do this with the comedy and I see no reason not to do it with the Quest.