Formal attire WAS "required" in specialty Rest.

Trvlr76

FYI, back from our 12/15 5 day cruise on Connie. We booked Ocean Liners on the formal night to avoid my husband having to wear a coat and tie. He planned to wear dress slacks and a dress shirt. On the day of Formal night, the cruise daily noted that "formal wear would be required in ALL dining rooms". I panicked and went to the specialty restaurant, and there was indeed a sign at the hostess desk that mentioned formal attire was required for seating in Ocean Liners that evening. I went to guest services, and they also confirmed. Looking a bit dismayed, the guy went on to ask what my hubby planned to wear, then said he thought it would probably be ok. At dinner, most people were in formal attire, except for one man in a short sleeve polo type shirt.

Just thought I'd mention this...

It is impossible to plan for changes to celebrity's written policy. I would have just ignored the sign and I guess I would either meet a senior officer or security as I just walked into the restaurant or blu and sat down.

This is really dismaying. We had planned to eat in specilaty restaurants on Eclipse next March to avoid having to wear formal attire. The fourteen-night cruise has three formal nights. Now I am concerned that this is some new cruiseline-wide policy requiring formal attire in all restaurants on formal nights. Could it just be Constellation or is it fleetwide?

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there. Feel free to flame away. Personally, I can't imagine heading out of town for more than an overnight or two without just throwing in a blazer. Usually, I wear it on the flight, and maybe never again. If I don't need it, eventually I stuff it in one of my bags, and iron it (or drop it off at the cleaners) when I get home. Seriously, we're not talking about a three piece suit or a formal gown. It takes up less space than a pair of pants.

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt. Who knows what's going to come up.

I'm totally understanding of not wanting to wear one. And I even get planning a trip so you don't have to. But at the end of the day, it's so much easier to just throw one in.

I have printed out the Specialty Restaurant Dress Code from the FAQ on the X website and will bring it with me on our Silhouette cruise next week as we don't plan on wearing formal wear Qsine or the Lawn Club on formal nights. I'm hoping we won't have a problem, but if it becomes too much of a hassle we'll just go to the buffet instead.

Okay, I'm just throwing this out there. Feel free to flame away. Personally, I can't imagine heading out of town for more than an overnight or two without just throwing in a blazer. Usually, I wear it on the flight, and maybe never again. If I don't need it, eventually I stuff it in one of my bags, and iron it (or drop it off at the cleaners) when I get home. Seriously, we're not talking about a three piece suit or a formal gown. It takes up less space than a pair of pants.

Unless it's a camping trip or the like, I just see it as silly to leave home for more than a couple days without one. To me, it's part of being a grown male. Whether I plan on using it or not, part of being a man, or dare I say a gentleman, is being able to adapt. Who knows what's going to come up.

I'm totally understanding of not wanting to wear one. And I even get planning a trip so you don't have to. But at the end of the day, it's so much easier to just throw one in.

This has nothing to do with deciding to carry a jacket or not. This is about a cruise line that clearly states on their website that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is casual dress regardless of the dress code in the MDR. If X wants formal dress in the specialty restaurants then be clear in the communication and be consistent across the fleet.

Amazing that a cruise line cannot get their act together? It's easy to see that X and RCI are sister lines.

+1. I mean like....how can I get MY act together if they don't have THEIR act together???

As a "new to Celebrity" reader/cruiser....it's EASY to see why "dress code" is one of the more polarizing subjects here. It's not the "cruisers" fault, it's Celebrity's fault.

As far as I'm concerned the hotel director either follows the published company policy or they shouldn't work for the company. Clearly, the HD or someone reporting to him was wrong....they can't just change policy on the ship (and keep customers)....any more than they can say that you must wear pink pants to dinner.

I've been travelling all my life mostly without a blazer and I never realized that i wasn't a "grown male".....

This has nothing to do with deciding to carry a jacket or not. This is about a cruise line that clearly states on their website that the dress code in the specialty restaurants is casual dress regardless of the dress code in the MDR. If X wants formal dress in the specialty restaurants then be clear in the communication and be consistent across the fleet.

You're right. But as the OP has pointed out, clearly the cruise line can't get their act together. And this represents but one of a number of possibilities where a jacket might be of benefit.

It's like so many other long winded debates on this board. Sure, you don't HAVE to wear a jacket. But are we talking about a vacation or a battle of principles. There are injustices in this world every day, and guess what? This ain't one of em! Throw a jacket in your bag and enjoy the trip. No worries, problem solved!

Does anyone else think that something very strange is happening on Connie? All those reports of poor service, and now this? Who is the current Hotel Dirctor? As of December 15 ( the end of the Transatlantic) it was Djamal Benatmane. Did he leave for vacation? Is there a differed HD now?

I did mention to the man in guest services that I had read the policy on formal nights to be smart casual in the specialty restaurant. He smiled at me and informed me it was company policy to dress formally in all dining rooms. Again, though, he did say my husband would be fine in his dress pants and long sleeve, collared shirt. My husband did not feel too bad in the restaurant, as I mentioned there was a man in short sleeves. The whole thing was and is, just confusing

We were first time Celebrity cruisers, and it was my spouse's first cruise ever. Had we been more seasoned, I too probably would have been a bit more laissez faire, but as it was I just didn't want to be turned away or uncomfortable.

It's not that simple for a woman. Formal attire requires special shoes, a special evening bag, usually a dressier level of jewelry, plus the formal gown or very dressy pants and a very delicate dressy blouse. If there are multiple formal nights,more dressy tops are required. Most women don't want to repeat formal outfits in a single cruise. I wish it were as simple as just packing a jacket.

It's not that simple for a woman. Formal attire requires special shoes, a special evening bag, usually a dressier level of jewelry, plus the formal gown or very dressy pants and a very delicate dressy blouse. If there are multiple formal nights,more dressy tops are required. Most women don't want to repeat formal outfits in a single cruise. I wish it were as simple as just packing a jacket.

Fair enough. But, I also don't recall any threads or stories about a woman in a nice skirt and blouse being turned away on formal night. It's always the "I don't want to bring a jacket on vacation" guy we hear about.

Seriously, I've never seen or heard about any guy wearing slacks, a collar shirt and a blazer being turned away from any dining venue on formal night. So, are we talking about what one considers appropriate formal attire, or are we talking about what one needs not to be turned away? The OP was definitely talking about the latter. And a blazer in the suitcase would be a perfect solution.

Just wondering was the cruise in question a Christmas cruise? Could this policy have been a one off requirement ofr Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

You are searching for a rational reason for an irrational decision by someone on board to change policy without any advanced notice.

I have printed out the Specialty Restaurant Dress Code from the FAQ on the X website and will bring it with me on our Silhouette cruise next week as we don't plan on wearing formal wear Qsine or the Lawn Club on formal nights. I'm hoping we won't have a problem, but if it becomes too much of a hassle we'll just go to the buffet instead.

Hi Susan,:) I can promise you, The Lawn Club (OUTSIDE) you will not

need formalwear for it. And Qsine? No way.....not sure which ship

was the OP was on......but I know you will be fine in both restaurants

in non-formalwear.

On my August trip on the Solstice, the in-cabin TV interactive portion that described the dress code stated explicitly that formal dress was required in the MDR **AND MURANO** on formal nights. Murano is the equivalent restaurant to Ocean Liners. Now, I do not know if this was enforced on formal nights and the in-cabin TV was the only place I saw this. But I echo the sentiment of inconsistency.

Archived