Princess Excursion - Sorrento & Amalfi Coast

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:26 PM.
#2
Vancouver B.C.
337 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
We did it last year when we were on the Grand. A very scenic tour. Make sure you sit on the right hand side of the bus, that will put you on the water side has you drive down the coast. I remember the bus returning along the freeway on the way back. If you can try try the pizza in Amalfi......amazing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#3
10,609 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
If you are willing to put it together, I would look at a private tour. The smaller vehicles can take you right into Sorrento and Positano, something the big buses cannot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Just Land trips booked for now.... I KNOW!
#5
Metro Detroit
245 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
It is totally worth considering taking a private tour company! We used Rome In Limo and had an unforgettable day!! Definitely check your Roll Call to see if you could join others or find others to join you.

Elaine
#6
Florida
1,004 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
We also used Rome in Limo in this port. We did a complete ride along the coast, stopped in Positano and in Sorrento. Had lunch on the water in Sorrento. Also spent time at Pompeii. It was a great tour. I would highly recommend them. It was less expensive then doing the Princess tour per person and we had only six of us.

We used them in Rome as well as in Florence. Never disappointed, they are great. We will use them again when we return to Italy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[Crown Princess - 28 Days Hawaii/Samoa/Tahiti
#7
Florida
278 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by mskaufman
Has anyone done this excursion? Would you recommend? Does it go on the Amalfi Drive?
We just got back from a TA and did the Sorrento..Amalfi coast tour with the cruise line. It is amazing views. We had a lunch (included in the tour) along the way in a very nice hotel. The views were amazing. Sit on the right hand side of the bus (right hand if you are sitting on the bus and looking forward) and you will have beautiful scenery all the way. I also took many pictures from the bus windows that came out very good. They took us to several shopping spots along the way. One of the ships tours that was actually worth the money we spent.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise number 40 coming up.
#8
Greenville, SC, USA
52,226 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
We did a private tour. We had an 8 passenger van, so we could go to Positano. The big busses are not allowed there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
#9
San Mateo, California
5,542 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by lucky99
We just got back from a TA and did the Sorrento..Amalfi coast tour with the cruise line. It is amazing views. We had a lunch (included in the tour) along the way in a very nice hotel. The views were amazing. Sit on the right hand side of the bus (right hand if you are sitting on the bus and looking forward) and you will have beautiful scenery all the way. I also took many pictures from the bus windows that came out very good. They took us to several shopping spots along the way. One of the ships tours that was actually worth the money we spent.
Do recall what was on the lunch menu? My DH is very fussy. Would like to know, if anything he would eat.
#11
15 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
My mother-in-law and I did this excursion while on a cruise on the Crown last September. The lunch was served at a hotel with gorgeous views of the coast between Positano and Amalfi. The meal included cheese cannelloni, a chicken dish like a Chicken Cacciatore and a custard-filled layer cake for dessert. Wine, water and (I think) coffee were included. It was all quite good. They were able to substitute a gluten-free pasta for the cannelloni, since I had advised the Tour Desk in advance.
#12
Florida
278 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by pris993
Do recall what was on the lunch menu? My DH is very fussy. Would like to know, if anything he would eat.
There was no menu and I can't remember what everyone else had as I have a special diet issue so I ate different. I can only remember everyone else had a baked noodle with spaghetti sauce beginning but even DH can't remember the rest. He did say it was good. They served wine along with the meal. No one complained I do remember that part. Have your husband tell them he has food issues and can only eat chicken or something and they will do it for you. It was a very nice lunch and a wonderful tour. The roads are VERY narrow and the views are exceptional. I am glad I went.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise number 40 coming up.
#13
California
364 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I did the Amalfi Coast Princess tour that had the coastal cruise instead of the drive. It was my favorite day of my 12 day Med cruise. It might have helped that it was only my sister and I on this excursion and we were a bit stressed most port days with the group of 19 family members we were with. The boat tour was so beautiful we were really glad we did it instead of the drive. Lunch was served in this old castle thing that was in the woods on a cliff. It had the most amazing views. In the afternoon we went to Pompeii which was also a fabulous time.
#14
1,103 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by lucky99
We just got back from a TA and did the Sorrento..Amalfi coast tour with the cruise line. It is amazing views. We had a lunch (included in the tour) along the way in a very nice hotel. The views were amazing. Sit on the right hand side of the bus (right hand if you are sitting on the bus and looking forward) and you will have beautiful scenery all the way. I also took many pictures from the bus windows that came out very good. They took us to several shopping spots along the way. One of the ships tours that was actually worth the money we spent.
When I think of this tour I picture very narrow, winding roads up and down mountains. Does Princess use large, full size buses for the tours? I'm not crazy about mountain roads and big buses together. Also has anyone had any problems with motion sickness? I'd love to see this area, but I have been afraid to try it in the past.
#15
Columbia, MD USA
2,886 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Victorious8
I did the Amalfi Coast Princess tour that had the coastal cruise instead of the drive. It was my favorite day of my 12 day Med cruise. It might have helped that it was only my sister and I on this excursion and we were a bit stressed most port days with the group of 19 family members we were with. The boat tour was so beautiful we were really glad we did it instead of the drive. Lunch was served in this old castle thing that was in the woods on a cliff. It had the most amazing views. In the afternoon we went to Pompeii which was also a fabulous time.

We did the coastal cruise last year. It was also my favorite day of the cruise.
#16
3,458 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Even if you are not minded to put together a formal tour on your own, you might want to at least talk to the taxi drivers who will be there. For three or four people, you will likely do better on price than Princess, and it gives you flexibility and the ability to say "stop, I want to see this" which you lack on an excursion. Yes, you will have to arrange lunch on your own. I doubt that will be a problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite member
4* Holland America
Diamond Royal Caribbean
#17
Coastal North Carolina
7,030 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by Wehwalt
Even if you are not minded to put together a formal tour on your own, you might want to at least talk to the taxi drivers who will be there. For three or four people, you will likely do better on price than Princess, and it gives you flexibility and the ability to say "stop, I want to see this" which you lack on an excursion. Yes, you will have to arrange lunch on your own. I doubt that will be a problem.
Perhaps...but taxi drivers are not tour guides...and for the price you pay in Italy for private drivers, I would not want my day to be hit or miss...plus I would make sure that if you go with a taxi that the driver is fluent in English and would never assume that...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sunsetbeachgal. Princess Elite Member, HAL *** Mariner
From the Sunny North Carolina Coast

Next: British Isles, Royal Princess June, 2018

Completed: Regal Princess, Feb 2017, Oasis of the Seas, Nov., 2016, Regal Princess Repo. Oct. 2016, Scenic Cruises Rhine River, June, 2016, Coral Princess Carib., Jan, 2016, HAL Eurodam, N. Europe, June, 2015, Regal Princess Carib., Jan. 2015, HAL Prinsendam, No. Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Carib., Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Carib., May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Carib. Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Carib., Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Carib.- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Carib.-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Carib.-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Carib.-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Carib.-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Med.-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Carib.-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Carib.-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/N.E.-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating 35 years of cruising!
#18
NW Ohio
294 Posts
Joined May 2006
We highly second the motion for private tours to the Amalfi coast, Sorrento and Positano. We're just back from the Ruby Greek Isles cruise. We had a Mercedes minivan for seven fellow cruisers. We could adjust our schedule to meet all our needs. Our driver arrange a beautiful place overlooking the sea for an excellent lunch. We used Angelo Driver arranged by one of our helpful CC companions and were very satisfied. Angelo lives in Sorrento and spoke perfect English ...with a delightful accent. He can be reached at angelodriver dot com.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Larry and Sue

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only one page," St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, c.395

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." --Thomas Jefferson


"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.." -- Winston Churchill<


Emerald Seas 7/74
Carnival Imagination 8/96
Norwegian Sky 8/00
Carnival Glory 6/06
Crown Princess 4/07
HAL Statendam 6/07
Island Princess 3/09 Partial Transit
Royal Princess 4/10
Coral Princess 4/12 LAX-FLL
Ruby TA 4/28/13
Ruby Greek Isles 5/12/13
Caribbean Princess 5/14
Coral Princess 9/20/14 YVR-FLL
Royal Princess TA 4/25/15
Royal Princess 9/21/15
Coral Princess 10/9/16 Partial Transit
#19
Florida
278 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by Sea Day Cruiser
When I think of this tour I picture very narrow, winding roads up and down mountains. Does Princess use large, full size buses for the tours? I'm not crazy about mountain roads and big buses together. Also has anyone had any problems with motion sickness? I'd love to see this area, but I have been afraid to try it in the past.
It was very narrow roads but we had a regular sized tour bus which worked out just fine. There were no problems with on coming cars and the bus sharing the road. With the bus you are up higher than the cars and can see much better. Also we had a very fluent English speaking tour guide that was very knowledgeable about the entire area and pointed out things I would have missed. I would choose the tour bus over driving it myself because whoever is driving can't pay attention to the sights because they are driving winding roads. Being up high was a plus because of seeing over the top of stuff. No one got car sick on the bus and my travel friend normally has a tendency to get sick on buses. He was fine. If you get a private tour company understand that the ship will not wait for you if you break down or are late coming back to the ship. If you are on one of their tours they will wait for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise number 40 coming up.