Nice shorts & collared shirt in MDR on Zaandam?

janermac

My hubby is pretty adamant that he wants to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt in the evening to dinner - not formal night. We're traveling with a large group and I will be bummed if we get turned away (he could always go change I guess). This will be our first HAL cruise. Has anyone seen this on the Zaandam?

Thanks!

Nice dockers and collared shirt and he'll be fine on smart casual nights. No shorts permitted in MDR at dinner. He can wear his shorts in MDR for breakfast and lunch. You can dine in Lido (buffet) evenings if he insists on his shorts. He has the choice to wear 'nice' jeans if he wishes.

Maybe he can if he becomes a citizen of Bermuda?? Or perhaps he could wear them with some leggings?? Failing that I have seen Kilts worn in the MDR during the evening service. (Forgive me for the 1st couple of comments; Couldn't stop myself) :D

I just disembarked the Zaandam today in Vancouver (my fourth time sailing aboard her). Zaandam is such a class act, through and through that I would strongly recommend not wearing shorts to dinner in the Rotterdam Dining Room. All things considered, Holland America is a mass market cruise line, but the atmosphere onboard is distinctly upmarket. I treat each cruise as a grand occasion and as such, I feel more comfortable dressing up at night, not down. I hope you and your husband enjoy your time aboard Zaandam as much as I always have. Don't miss the Crow's Nest and the Ocean Bar, two Holland America devotees favorites.

Thanks to everyone for the info! The cruise is a gift to us all from the parents so it's not the type of travel my husband would choose for himself since he's a "shorts, t-shirts, and camping" kind of guy. All that being said, we are thrilled and feel so blessed to experience this with the folks and siblings -14 of us all together. I know my hubby will adjust and have a wonderful time.

Thanks again for the responses!

Edited by janermac

Thanks to everyone for the info! The cruise is a gift to us all from the parents so it's not the type of travel my husband would choose for himself since he's a "shorts, t-shirts, and camping" kind of guy. All that being said, we are thrilled and feel so blessed to experience this with the folks and siblings -14 of us all together. I know my hubby will adjust and have a wonderful time.

Thanks again for the responses!

Have a great time and enjoy Zaandam! Be sure to listen, at least once, to the big organ play on sea days in the Atrium!

Have a great time and enjoy Zaandam! Be sure to listen, at least once, to the big organ play on sea days in the Atrium!

I love that organ on Zaandam ! It seems to be one of those "love it or hate it" things, definitely a conversation starter and I'd go so far as to say a bit controversial. A little bit creepy, yet fascinating at the same time.

Try to find tropical weight or summer weight khakis. Do it now, because they tend to be a seasonal item. A tan or blue pair will serve him well throughout the cruise. They're not as cool, temperature- wise, as shorts, but they're pretty close.

I'd still try to come up with a sport coat though. Formal nights are a nice part of cruising, and if you are traveling with family, I'd hate to see you miss out.

He borrowed a coat from a friend and already has slacks, dress shirts, and ties. He would never disrespect our generous parents by dying on a hill over wardrobe issues and miss out on dining together. He just prefers to wear shorts whenever possible! Like I said before, he'll wear what is appropriate, and with a cocktail or two, be perfectly comfortable- haha.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and replies :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just got off the Ryndam and I never saw anyone wearing shorts, unless they were eating in the Lido. Kahki's and collared shirt or even nice polo on casual nights.

My hubby prefers the zip off hiking pants but he never wore them to dinner, either.

Enjoy!

Hi J,

> nice shorts and a collared shirt in the evening to dinner

Just fine for any young man under 14.

After that he is allowed to wear long pants.

Ira

Edited by I_r_a
additional remark

Got it, TOTALLY clear on the expectations now. Like I said- He will wear pants. He will be fine. It can be intimidating to post a question if you think you'll be met with negative feedback so I especially appreciate the comments that were positive, gave advice, and wished us a good voyage! :)

Got it, TOTALLY clear on the expectations now. Like I said- He will wear pants. He will be fine. It can be intimidating to post a question if you think you'll be met with negative feedback so I especially appreciate the comments that were positive, gave advice, and wished us a good voyage! :)

Don't worry about it. It sounds like you have a plan. Your husband can always change after dinner. A fair number of people do. Enjoy your cruise - and please don't hesitate to ask questions. It's the Internet, and sometimes people come across a little crankier than they are in real life. Myself included.

Edited by POA1

I would tend to agree with all the replies about no shorts in the MDR for dinner until this Mediterranean Cruise I am on right now on the Zuiderdam. It appears that anything goes.

I am not sure it will continue but I have seen shorts on both men and women at dinnertime. Obviously they were not turned away. More than one person.

Terri

I would tend to agree with all the replies about no shorts in the MDR for dinner until this Mediterranean Cruise I am on right now on the Zuiderdam. It appears that anything goes.

I am not sure it will continue but I have seen shorts on both men and women at dinnertime. Obviously they were not turned away. More than one person.

Terri

The same for us a few weeks ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Med. There were so many on all nights (even saw a few on gala nights) that rumors started onboard that HAL had changed the rules as of this cruise.

My hubby is pretty adamant that he wants to wear nice shorts and a collared shirt in the evening to dinner - not formal night. We're traveling with a large group and I will be bummed if we get turned away (he could always go change I guess). This will be our first HAL cruise. Has anyone seen this on the Zaandam?

Thanks!

Keep him up in the Lido please...

Terri

Terri - I understand that there are times when the dress code is not enforced, but I'd feel terrible handing out advice that could get someone barred from the MDR. Especially considering that this is a big family trip for the OP. I'm not questioning what you saw, but it's pretty risky if someone takes it as gospel.

Low lights, elegant two-tier setting with sweeping staircase, lovely ceiling chandeliers, silver service, multi-course menu, service plates, lovely embellished china, liveried wait-staff, flowers at each table, white starched tablecloths and cloth napkins, nicely attired fellow guests - those are my memories of the MDR on our Zaadam cruise last year.

She is a class act - more than excellent value for the money and a great itinerary to boot - around the horn. Enjoy her in every way possible.

Terri - I understand that there are times when the dress code is not enforced, but I'd feel terrible handing out advice that could get someone barred from the MDR. Especially considering that this is a big family trip for the OP. I'm not questioning what you saw, but it's pretty risky if someone takes it as gospel.

I am not handing out advice. I am just stating what I am seeing in the dining room night after night. I don't know if it is the relaxed atmosphere of the Mediterranean Cruise and the 100 degree temps we are having day after day or the disorganization of the Zuiderdam Dining Staff or their tendency to look the other way.

My advice to the OP is the keep looking at the Know Before You Go section of the HAL website and see if anything changes. I am not saying that what I am seeing is the new standard dress code for HAL. It is just what is taking place on the Zuiderdam. I am seeing a lot of things on the Zuiderdam that I have not seen on other HAL ships. So who knows!

Terri