Cuba.Where everyone loves Ron.

drron29

Well it is the name for rum and most of them love anyway.

Sorry I had initially posted a thread on Friday but on sunday afternoon when I went to make the next post it had been disappeared.I had been a naughty boy for including a link to a frequent flyer site.This is now the third time I am trying to post.Once it wouldn't post and next the computer froze.Hopefully third time lucky.

We flew to Nassau from Brisbane via Narita,Chicago,Orlando and Miami.The USA stops were for Rojaan to do some shopping.We got into Nassau very late on Friday due to a missed connection in Miami.So only a day in Nassau.

The streets near the waterfront were teeming with the days cruisers.however 3 streets back there was hardly a sole.I walked around these backstreets for 4 hours and found some wonderful buildings and some interesting nature.First some pics of Government House-

DSC04886.JPG.DSC04889.JPG.

Usually you can walk around the outside of Government house but not today due to a reception for dignitaries.So on to Fort Fincastle at the top of the hill behind town.Good views to the Hilton where we stayed,the cruise ship terminal and some hotel that many are impressed by-

DSC04915.JPG.DSC04919.JPG.

DSC04920.JPG.DSC04923.JPG.

Appreciate your posts and pictures. Looking forward to seeing many more visuals and details from Cuba, Havana, etc. Tell us any and all added specifics for your full schedule, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 121,502 views for this posting.

Going back ttown from e fort the best way is the Queen's stairs.Built by hand by slaves.There were 66 steps now 65.A cool oasis-

DSC04931.JPG.DSC04932.JPG.

DSC04934.JPG.DSC04935.JPG.

And outside the main hospital I actually caught a hummingbird.Though it was a brilliant green in colour-

DSC04936.JPG.DSC04937.JPG.

The hospital looked pretty good having openned in the 50s-

DSC04939.JPG.DSC04947.JPG,

The doctor's hospital was obviously private having one of these at the door-

DSC04948.JPG.

The day's arrivals-

DSC04965.JPG.

Late lunch at Senor frog's.Turned out to be cheaper and better at the Hilton-

DSC04979.JPG.DSC04994.JPG.

Glad you're back, Ron! I posted a welcome message to you and Ann on the other thread, then couldn't find it! I had been wine tasting all day Saturday so naturally I thought I had been hallucinating about your thread. :rolleyes:

Have a great time!

So Sunday arrives.A azy day until we get a taxi to the Explorer~1300.It certainly was within walking distance but with crowds of people,uneven sidewalks,temperature of 30C(90F) and humidity of 95% discretion it was.

Easy through Immigration but my computer bag was put through the Xray 4 times before being cleared-but probably now germ free.So here we are-

DSC02167.JPG.

A lot is being said about the food on SS so I will take some pics.Lunch on the Explorer is buffet style and in these climes also a pool deck option.Here are the desserts and half the salads on sailing day at lunch-

DSC02168.JPG.DSC02169.JPG.

DSC02170.JPG.DSC02171.JPG.

There was a chilli beef and basil stir fry which I had.The beef tender and tasty and for a change a nice bit of spice.I enjoyed it.

Edited by drron29

So to dinner that first night.Here is the menu.Fairly typical of what we have had on SS in the past-

DSC02174.JPG.

DSC02175.JPG.

We both started with the smoked duck breast,Rojaan had the pork dish and I the roast beef.We both finished with the coconut and lime pudding-

DSC02176.JPG.DSC02177.JPG.

DSC02178.JPG.DSC02179.JPG.

We both enjoyed our meal.Rojaan enjoyed the pudding so much she said she could eat it for breakfast.So at breakfast we are each presented with said pudding.

Chef is Pia, Captain Denis Radja, Staff Captain Davor Zecevic, Hotel Manager Marcelo, our butler is Sumit, and room attendant is Antonio. Lots of staff on board we know from previous cruises. Expedition leader is Juan Carlos, also Kara Weller and Claire Allum, but all the other expedition staff are new to us.

Ann

Super photo's DrRon, and thanks for taking us along on your trip. Great to see someone posting food photo's that are actually relevent to travelling on Silversea!

Thanks SS.That was precisely the reason I took the food photos on our first day as there has been a lot said about the food on Silverseas lately.It is obviously chef dependent but on this cruise the food quality is as good as it was on our first cruises 5 years ago.The burgers are yet to make an appearance on the dinner menu but do appear on the room menu.Will post a few of the menus just for information.

Now our entrance into Havana before sunrise-

DSC05082.JPG.DSC05084.JPG.

DSC05088.JPG.DSC05089.JPG.

DSC05090.JPG.DSC05094.JPG.

Hi Drron,

Great pictures ..... as was the great "eclipse" pictures you posted earlier. Sadly my earlier good wishes for your cruise was deleted with your previous thread!

Appreciate your earlier food pictures which have and are being discussed on a different and separate thread purposefully in order not to detract or be disruptive from your blog .... which is appreciated.

As I said before, enjoy your cruise,

:)

Jeff

Off on our first tour around Havana.On the way to our first stop,Morro Castle-

It's great that you are getting to the "MAIN EVENT" and superstar of Havana. What a wonderful and super historic city with so much charm, fun music, etc. Looking forward to seeing the "eye-candy". Keep it coming!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 29,247 views for these postings.