Cruise Ships thru the new Panama Canal

Hflors

Are there any cruise ships slated to go thru the new Panama Canal when it opens?

Has any one seen or heard any advertisement about it?

Thanks

Many cruise lines don't want to pay the charge for the use of the new canal .Princess is still sending the Coral and Island thru in Spring 2017 . Hall still is doing it's re positioning cruises thru the canal.

Ships like the larger RCI ships are still to big to fit thru the new locks. Many ports on the West coast and Hawaii aren't designed to handle the Voyager or Oasis class ships from RCI.

Are there any cruise ships slated to go thru the new Panama Canal when it opens?

Has any one seen or heard any advertisement about it?

Thanks

First, there are going to be significant delays to opening the new locks, in my opinion, based on reports of the cracking and voids in the lock sills. 2017 would be my guess for the earliest possible, and 2018 more probable.

While some larger ships will now fit through the locks, beam and draft wise, many of those will not fit under the old Bridge of the Americas (cargo ships needing the new lock size are not as tall) so, until that is taken down, cruise ships will still be limited in usage.

Ships small enough to use the old locks will continue to use them. It is still not clear whether the canal authority will raise tariffs to help pay for the new locks.

First, there are going to be significant delays to opening the new locks, in my opinion, based on reports of the cracking and voids in the lock sills. 2017 would be my guess for the earliest possible, and 2018 more probable.

While some larger ships will now fit through the locks, beam and draft wise, many of those will not fit under the old Bridge of the Americas (cargo ships needing the new lock size are not as tall) so, until that is taken down, cruise ships will still be limited in usage.

Ships small enough to use the old locks will continue to use them. It is still not clear whether the canal authority will raise tariffs to help pay for the new locks.

The Canal Authority has already raised the rates to pay for the expansion. HAL and Princess have reduced the number of Full transits because of the increased costs .

It will be interesting to see if Queen Mary 2 will be able to make a transit. She's too tall for unrestricted passage under the bridge but per Canal Authority rules may pass under during certain tidal conditions.

She has the same problem with the Verrazano bridge in NYC. She must do it at low tide, and uses "squat" or the phenomenon of sucking the ship deeper into the water caused by increased speed in shallow water.

The Canal Authority has already raised the rates to pay for the expansion. HAL and Princess have reduced the number of Full transits because of the increased costs .

NCL as well. And RCL has quit Panama Canal cruise all together.

She has the same problem with the Verrazano bridge in NYC. She must do it at low tide, and uses "squat" or the phenomenon of sucking the ship deeper into the water caused by increased speed in shallow water.

The BofA is more restrictive, with a 201 foot MHW clearance vs. 228 feet under the Verrazano narrows bridge.

I don't think QM2's navigation through the Verrazano Narrows is as restricted as you state, common lore to the contrary. Her air draft (it varies with conditions, I recognize) is listed as 203 feet. The maximum vessel height permitted through the canal at low water is 205 feet.

Edited by Underwatr

The BofA is more restrictive, with a 201 foot MHW clearance vs. 228 feet under the Verrazano narrows bridge.

I don't think QM2's navigation through the Verrazano Narrow is as restricted as you state, common lore to the contrary. Her air draft (it varies with conditions, I recognize) is listed as 203 feet.

Don't know. I did see something on TV about her leaving NYC, and she had to make the tide, shoot for the center of the span, and "drop the hammer" to get squat to kick in. It all depends on what the bridge's clearance is. While the Verrazano may be 228 feet, that's the distance from the water to the bridge. I suspect there is a 20 foot clearance (just guessing from past experiences at other bridges), that only gives QM2 about 5 feet to play with, and I don't know how wide the maximum clearance extends, since this is something that 98% of the ships going under it don't have to worry about.

[quote=Kamloops50;48313432

Ships like the larger RCI ships are still to big to fit thru the new locks. Many ports on the West coast and Hawaii aren't designed to handle the Voyager or Oasis class ships from RCI.

Actually all of Royal's ships will fit through the new locks... but there is a problem particularly with the Oasis and the Allure. Their present air draft is way way to high, somewhere around 235'. I know there has been some discussion about whether or not they can retract their stacks to get them under 213' (Great Belt Bridge) or not... if they can lower the stack extensions it would be a physical possibility to get under the Bridge of Americas. Not saying it would be permitted, however but they will fit through the new locks. Provide the don't leak too much.. ahem;).

The Voyager/Freedom class have an air draft of 208', while that is outside the published limits I don't believe it is that far out bounds that a modification to the ship would not be possible or an out right waiver. The Canal is very lenient in granting exceptions to the posted limits.

Royal had a Voyager class ship, the Mariner on the West Coast for awhile, I don't think it was her size that caused her relocation. I believe they felt that they could just make more $$ else where.

Actually all of Royal's ships will fit through the new locks... but there is a problem particularly with the Oasis and the Allure. Their present air draft is way way to high, somewhere around 235'. I know there has been some discussion about whether or not they can retract their stacks to get them under 213' (Great Belt Bridge) or not... if they can lower the stack extensions it would be a physical possibility to get under the Bridge of Americas. Not saying it would be permitted, however but they will fit through the new locks. Provide the don't leak too much.. ahem;).

The Voyager/Freedom class have an air draft of 208', while that is outside the published limits I don't believe it is that far out bounds that a modification to the ship would not be possible or an out right waiver. The Canal is very lenient in granting exceptions to the posted limits.

Royal had a Voyager class ship, the Mariner on the West Coast for awhile, I don't think it was her size that caused her relocation. I believe they felt that they could just make more $$ else where.

It was to big to go into the Alaskan ports. This includes Seattle and Vancouver.

It will be interesting to see if Queen Mary 2 will be able to make a transit. She's too tall for unrestricted passage under the bridge but per Canal Authority rules may pass under during certain tidal conditions.

If the QM2 has an air draft of 203' as indicated by a poster in this thread, that won't even be an issue. They will just ensure that they are not having a spring tide and it will be clear sailing. Even at high tide on most days of the month there is sufficient clearance on the BoA even at the 205' air draft to proceed 24hrs/day.

It was to big to go into the Alaskan ports. This includes Seattle and Vancouver.

I don't what the Voyager's exact itinerary is but it is returning to do the Alaska season for the second year. It has the same 208' air draft. I would guess YVR is not on the itinerary in any event!

Many cruise lines don't want to pay the charge for the use of the new canal .

That certainly may be true, but I think there are other issues involved besides the tolls to use the Canal... old or the new improved. The tolls for cruise ships has been the same since 2011 and are not scheduled to increase until April 2016. I suppose to coincide with the opening of the third set of locks. Tolls are really not going to increase dramatically, particularly for cruise ships. The toll increase is not that big, I don't think... present toll for ships using the old locks is $134/passenger berth. The new toll will go to $138/ppb. Ships using the new locks will pay $148/ppb, that really does not sound like that big of an increase. Of course we all know who foots the bill for the toll, that's why the port fees and such for a 14 day cruise (non Canal) is about half of what a 14 day Canal cruise costs.

Don't know. I did see something on TV about her leaving NYC, and she had to make the tide, shoot for the center of the span, and "drop the hammer" to get squat to kick in. It all depends on what the bridge's clearance is. While the Verrazano may be 228 feet, that's the distance from the water to the bridge. I suspect there is a 20 foot clearance (just guessing from past experiences at other bridges), that only gives QM2 about 5 feet to play with, and I don't know how wide the maximum clearance extends, since this is something that 98% of the ships going under it don't have to worry about.

I looked on the charts and the Verrazano has a navigational clearance of 215' provided the maintenance platform is not deployed. When it is deployed the air draft is reduced 15'.

Edited by BillB48

Just off a Carnival cruise and the Future Cruise desk showed the Splendor doing the Mexican Riviera early 2017. So if the expansion isn't completed by end of 2016, she will either doing another around the horn trip or cancel those scheduled Mexico cruises.

Just off a Carnival cruise and the Future Cruise desk showed the Splendor doing the Mexican Riviera early 2017. So if the expansion isn't completed by end of 2016, she will either doing another around the horn trip or cancel those scheduled Mexico cruises.

So far everything I have seen has held to an April 2016 opening and no one of any authority has stated otherwise. They of course are playing everything close to the vest, not much real info to be found except what comes in over the transom. It ain't over til the gravitationaly challenged lady sings!! Not with standing some recent problems with the leaks and the repairs.

If you are looking for something to put you to sleep, I posted some of the plans for repairs on the Panama Canal forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48304428&postcount=9

• 5 months later...

Of course the Canal has not given any indication as to what ship or even which cruise line it will be. However, out of the over 100 reservations the Canal has received, there is one neo Panamax cruise ship with a reservation for a passage using the expansion.

So. When in the process does the Captain know whether she is "squatting" enough? Are her brakes good enough to stop her? :D

Edited by CPT Trips