Alright so Haven includes a butler But...

tgloersen

What can you actually ask this person to do? I mean what are reasonable requests?

Never had one.

TG

Your butler will set up your breakfast or other meals if you order for your suite He/she will bring you candy and snacks if you request. Some people entertain in their suite and the butler will facilitate this. Take care of dry cleaning and laundry requests. We never used a butler to assist in packing or unpacking for us. We used to concierge for making any specialty restaurant reservations, shore excursions, spa appointments etc. Just somebody else making sure you have everything you want in your suite.

I love the one about Miss Scarlet!!!!

We have used him for any request for the room or treats as stated. Having meals served ensuite is really a special treat especially if you have a large aft facing suite on one of the away ships. We have had him bring treats to go with wine and champagne. Beverages, toys, cards etc for the kids. Don't be afraid to ask for anything your heart desires and they will do their best to fulfill your request. If they can't it never hurts to ask.

Some requests include tying a tie or shoes. Don't laugh. Some older guests appreciate the help if arthritis is a problem.

A butler can also retrieve things from other parts of the ship. For example, if someone (the wife:p) leaves her sweater in the theater the night before, the butler can see if someone found it and will bring it back to the stateroom.

What can you actually ask this person to do? I mean what are reasonable requests?

Never had one.

TG

I guess my wife and I are the odd ones out. We have booked suites twice and have never used the butler or concierge for anything. Never felt the need for it

Things we have the butler do:

*we have the butler deliver a room service turkey sandwich every sea day at around 12:15 for my sons lunch. The time changes if we are in port and my son loves that his sandwich is waiting for him when we return back on ship.

*request yummy treats, cookies, popcorn, m&Ms, milk, lemonade or tea. we put this request in when we meet the butler so they know we are a family who wants these things before they run out. We have had popcorn delivered when its available for when watching a movie.

* track down what day a certain sandwich we want is served on board (on the jewel one restaurant has two different lunch menus and one of them you never know what day it is out), so the butler checks each morning for us and then lets us know if what we are looking for is available that day

* in room meal service. being in a suite is not the same as eating in your room otherwise. we find it fun to have one meal served to us at our table in the room, we usually choose a day with scenery that we want to be on our balcony, like a glacier day in Alaska or leaving a port.

*any other food things we want, room service, lunch in the room, throughout the entire week, etc

*we had our last butler tie my husbands tie on dress up night

* you can also ask them about your itinerary or ship. weve asked our butlers about where to see whales from our balcony, what they have heard others have done in port, etc

*whatever else comes up on the trip.

On Oceania they put out a menu each evening to select hors d'oveures to be delivered around 4 pm the next day. It's always the same menu - a choice samosas, tortilla chips and guacamole, crudites, cheese and crackers, and a few other things. Does NCL do something similar or does the butler just bring something when requested?

On Oceania they put out a menu each evening to select hors d'oveures to be delivered around 4 pm the next day. It's always the same menu - a choice samosas, tortilla chips and guacamole, crudites, cheese and crackers, and a few other things. Does NCL do something similar or does the butler just bring something when requested?

They bring afternoon snacks, and will bring any one of many types of canapes, finger sandwiches, cheese slices, whatever... unless you specify something specific when you meet them.

Never had one.

TG

I didn't ask for a thing. He brings around snacks around 3 PM which I don't want nor need. I didn't feel the need tip either because i didn't need his services.

I love to tip.

I do tip.

Probably too much.

I do not care.

I like snacks.

I like butlers.

They like me.

On my last cruise, Maxi, butler extraordinaire, asked us on day 1.

My niece, the vegan, asked for crudite and berries.

My sister loves those canapes with caviar and fish.

I wanted chocolate truffles.

We all like dark chocolate strawberries.

Sometimes he would surprise us with an additional item.

We enjoyed them.

We ate most, close to all.

It was HAVENly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The butler is there to address your needs; not your wants, wishes, or desires. Outside of the Haven, you must rely on self-help. Once inside the Haven, you can ask a butler.

If you feel you need M&Ms with your movie, then call the butler. If you want to see two drunk midgets knife fight, then don't call the butler - just book the Cozumel excursion.

Would you then normally tip him each time he brings something or just at the end of the cruise? Happy to do whatever is considered the correct thing -within reason!
It is customary to tip the butler once at the end of the cruise. (If you use the concierge, you should also tip them at the end of the cruise.)

After staying in in balcony rooms for our 1st 3 cruises, now 1 suite and 1 Haven later, we have gone from "the balcony chairs are uncomfortable but fine, let run to the buffet to bring cold plates of snacks back to our room while balancing drinks, cage fight the masses to shows and disembarkment, and not get refunded for missed excursions" to....butler and concierge heaven.

The best way I have heard it described is that the concierge is there to make sure your vacation is everything you hoped for and more, and the butler is the one who facilitates those dreams...

On our last trip, our butler changed out our balcony chairs for cushioned loungers, had room service delivered on time / hot / fresh, made sure our concierge knew of all of our show / dining times and had us ready for all excursions, and worked with our concierge to get a refund for a cancelled day trip. He and his butler in training knew our room needs - 1 vegan who likes french press coffee and almond milk, 1 meat eater who loves fresh shrimp canapes, and 1 fussy child who loved collecting napkin rings with his afternoon gummi bears. He brought us extra pillows, special bath salts for the tub, and had holiday treats sent to the room. When I commented (not complained - big, big difference) that one of the cabinet doors wouldn't close, it was replaced by that afternoon.

It's lovely to have the luxury of picking up the phone and hearing "yes" on the other end - it's so rare in the real world! Common courtesy goes a long, long way, as does a "thank you" and a smile.

As the mother of a special needs child, the butler made sure he had quiet places to sit, made the towel animals my son requested, and made sure he had extra soft blankets. When he broke his tooth and split his lip, he grabbed band aids and ice and gave him hugs. The butler helped with our laundry after my mother ran out of "unmentionables", and had the 1 day turnaround done in 6 hours! The butler and room attendant threw us an anniversary party in our room after we asked our maitre d' for a special bottle of wine at dinner - literally 30 minutes later our room was decorated, with another complimentary bottle of wine plus our leftover cake delivered to the suite!

Are we snobs - no. Do we loved being pampered for a week - yes! We never have outrageous requests, do not have ridiculous expectations, and have had amazing experiences. As for tipping, we start every cruise with a "pre-thank you handshake" - tips for the stateroom attendant, butler, concierge, head bartender and maitre d'. We also tip again at the end of the trip. Why so much? Well...for 7 days this team makes you and your family feel like the most important A List celebrities in the world, and give my son such happy memories that it is well worth every cent. Would we get great service without this - absolutely. But after spending years as a waitress and in low-paying service industry jobs, I know what it is like to work hard for little reward or appreciation.

So, enjoy your butler - ask about their family, fill out the comment cards, remember to ask them if they have any special items they may need if you go off the ship, and enjoy your vacation!

I guess my wife and I are the odd ones out. We have booked suites twice and have never used the butler or concierge for anything. Never felt the need for it

Not to worry you aren't alone we don't use the butler or concierge either :) but I still leave a great tip as I find daily usually on more than one occasion both the butler & concierge go out of their way to let us know they are available to help us if needed.

Edited by dlynn0366

Would you then normally tip him each time he brings something or just at the end of the cruise? Happy to do whatever is considered the correct thing -within reason!

I always tip at the end. Maybe last evening since disembarkation day is hectic for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums