What books are you taking on your cruise?

renjrusa

I love to read and while travelling and cruising am happy to be sitting by the pool or in the solarium with a good book to grab my attention. I usually also bring along some form of puzzle book too. I prefer biographies or autobiographies . And since lately have become addicted to the Investigation discovery channel which we refer to as the murder channel.. Any ideas? Going to head to Barnes and noble and my local library this week before my cruise...

My DW takes her iPad, and it contains at least 150 books! She is downloading more all the time! She reads romance novels, some of which are a series with new books coming out anywhere from monthly to annually. When she doesn't have a new book, she will reread some of her old favorites.

Me - no book, no paper, nothing! Cruise to get away, completely. It takes effort to read the daily cruise bulletin:)

I take a couple of books on my Kindle. Murder mysteries usually. Not too light but nothing so involved I can't put it down and come back easily. First cruise I took The Lord of the Rings. Never got out of the first chapter. I kept getting interrupted watching people or just watching the ocean. Couldn't stay focused. And I love that book.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

My Kindle is always well loaded with books to read, and I have several games on my phone that can be played offline including a Patience app with over 100 different types of patience.

Agatha Christie's books are great for travel, she's an excellent author.

I take a couple of books on my Kindle. Murder mysteries usually. Not too light but nothing so involved I can't put it down and come back easily. First cruise I took The Lord of the Rings. Never got out of the first chapter. I kept getting interrupted watching people or just watching the ocean. Couldn't stay focused. And I love that book.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

I'm with you. I always take a book or two with me and NEVER read them. (and I LOVE to read) :o Between activities and meeting/speaking with new people, I never seem to get around to it. The other thread on "books", there are a lot of very "heavy" reading material books. I don't know how people are able to concentrate...lol. :cool:

I have lots of books downloaded on my iPad, but I love listening to audio books when cruising. I can still "people watch" and walk off dinner, etc. I download books from the library so they don't cost anything.

Right now I'm listening to The Frontiersmen by Allan Eckert, nonfiction that reads like a novel, takes place in VA, WV, KY.

I also like the Amanda Peabody mysteries by Elizabeth Peters.

Love this thread for new ideas! ❤️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I like fairly gentle murder mysteries, so at the moment, I am working my way through Andrea Cammileri's Inspector Montalbano mysteries, and I also have all 20 of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries downloaded on the Kindle app on my iPad. That should keep me busy for a while!

I use overdrive to download free Kindle or audiobooks through my Library. I preder audiobooks so I can do my walks and also keep an eye out for my teens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always pack a mystery/thriller for a cruise. But when I sit down on the promenade deck I get too mesmerized by the waves and the people watching.

This time I will browse for a book at the QM2's extensive library and find something to hold while I gaze at the water and the people...;p

Jonathan

I'm with you. I always take a book or two with me and NEVER read them. (and I LOVE to read) :o Between activities and meeting/speaking with new people, I never seem to get around to it. The other thread on "books", there are a lot of very "heavy" reading material books. I don't know how people are able to concentrate...lol. :cool:

Me either, LOL. Any serious reading would have to be done in my cabin. And what's the fun in that?

I have a Kindle and belong to Amazon Prime. Before a cruise I load up on my free Prime titles. I don't go for cruise-style literature. I'm more about mysteries and detective novels. On a 7-day cruise I read 2-3 books depending on how long they are.

In all seriousness...and NOT being facetious...how in the world do you have time to read 3 books on a 7 day cruise and are able to concentrate. :o

In all seriousness...and NOT being facetious...how in the world do you have time to read 3 books on a 7 day cruise and are able to concentrate. :o

I guess it would depend on how many sea days are in that 7-day cruise, and what else one likes to do. I certainly can and have finished a book on a sea day, if it's good enough to hold my attention.

I guess it would depend on how many sea days are in that 7-day cruise, and what else one likes to do. I certainly can and have finished a book on a sea day, if it's good enough to hold my attention.

On a day off....at home...no distractions.....I can do this also. BUT on a cruise?

One of the joys of cruising - for me - is the chance to sit on a lounge in the sun, or the shade, or on my balcony, and just read a good book. I can sit for hours and read, and since I am a fast reader, I can easily read 4 or more books in a week. Especially the "easy reads" like Nora Roberts or the Robert Parker books or most political thrillers.

I can't use an e-reader, so I stock up on books from used book stores and leave them behind in the ship library when finished.

I downloaded John Sandford's Golden Prey for my recent trip. Had it completed by end of cruise. Just found 2 Ebooks, each book is a compilation of short stories written by a team of 2 authors collaborating. The first Ebook = Faceoff has John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver teamed up. Second Ebook = Matchup has John Sandford and Lisa Jackson teamed up. Both of these books look very interesting for the fans of murder mysteries.

I love to read and while travelling and cruising am happy to be sitting by the pool or in the solarium with a good book to grab my attention. I usually also bring along some form of puzzle book too. I prefer biographies or autobiographies . And since lately have become addicted to the Investigation discovery channel which we refer to as the murder channel.. Any ideas? Going to head to Barnes and noble and my local library this week before my cruise...

For non-fiction (in the middle of the ocean), try "The Outlaw Sea" by William Langewiesche.

For comedy/drama mystery writing, there's nothing like any Detective Montalbano book (by Andrea Camilleri whose one tome, "Death in Sicily," contains three of his best Montalbano works).

Now, of course (as Montalbano fans will know), I'm hungry.[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the joys of cruising - for me - is the chance to sit on a lounge in the sun, or the shade, or on my balcony, and just read a good book. I can sit for hours and read, and since I am a fast reader, I can easily read 4 or more books in a week. Especially the "easy reads" like Nora Roberts or the Robert Parker books or most political thrillers.

I can't use an e-reader, so I stock up on books from used book stores and leave them behind in the ship library when finished.

I agree if a book is really good I will read every chance I get and while cruising I even have a small clip on light...I also only like actual books not e books.. just my preference...

I downloaded John Sandford's Golden Prey for my recent trip. Had it completed by end of cruise. Just found 2 Ebooks, each book is a compilation of short stories written by a team of 2 authors collaborating. The first Ebook = Faceoff has John Sandford and Jeffrey Deaver teamed up. Second Ebook = Matchup has John Sandford and Lisa Jackson teamed up. Both of these books look very interesting for the fans of murder mysteries.

CruiseGal999, I love Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers. In fact, I've downloaded Golden Prey for my upcoming cruise. It's 3 months away and hopefully I won't break down and read it before I go. And the next Virgil book doesn't come out until after I get back. On the other hand, maybe I should read it now. I travel with my 2 sisters and they keep me pretty busy. Not sure when or even if I'll find the time.

I like to take books (or read ahead) that have settings of the places we are visiting. For example, we are going on a Baltic cruise and I am reading The Jewel of St Petersburg, Follett's Century Trilogy, and The Madonnas of Leningrad. Just adds a bit to the cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CruiseGal999, I love Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers. In fact, I've downloaded Golden Prey for my upcoming cruise. It's 3 months away and hopefully I won't break down and read it before I go. And the next Virgil book doesn't come out until after I get back. On the other hand, maybe I should read it now. I travel with my 2 sisters and they keep me pretty busy. Not sure when or even if I'll find the time.

I agree. I hate to admit this .... but most of the time after I finish a Lucas Davenport/Prey novel, for days I'm wondering what is going on with Weather or Letty or Lucas and gang. I get so immersed.

Don't ask me ... I'll tell you to read the book! ;p