If money/time were no object ,how often would you cruise?

COLLEYBERRY

Probably 30% of the time. The rest of the time I'd be doing land-based traveling to places you can't get to by sea (and spending more time in port cities than you get from a cruise), and visiting family, etc. Then again, if money were no object, I'd pay for them to come on cruises with me!!

But I'd have to have some time in my own house in my gorgeous kitchen to cook. Unless I found a cruise ship that had gourmet kitchens in the staterooms...

I'm gonna say that, like Dorothy, there is no place like home. Though I don't live in Kansas, I live in a pretty happening place so I would depart from the thinking of cruising my brains out. I would just do my regular thing and hope it takes me to good places. Like that? So do I.:)

I am actually happy with the amount of cruises we do now and that is two a year but both are longer cruises of around 24-35 days at a time.

I also love doing our land trips whether they be here in our own country or overseas. I like to be able to mix and match our vacations and I feel that we are doing exactly that in our retirement. We are spending around 50% at home and 50% away.

Jennie

Jennie

If money was no question and I had more time than I do now, I would probably only cruise 2x a year, but I would take longer cruises, 24+ days, and occasionally throw in a few shorter ones.

I wouldn`t want to cruise so often that it became routine. Too much of anything came become boring. I remember in my young batchelor days moving into a highrise apartment on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago with a gorgeous view of the lake and downtown. After six months that fantastic view grew old.

Rich

I have the time; it's the money that's in too short supply!

I would take 3-4 cruises of the longer variety per year if I could afford it. I would love to do the circumnavigation of South America, the Circle Pacific, some successive cruises on the Prinsendam during the summer. And maybe a few shorter 10-20 days cruises thrown in for good measure.

Maybe I'll be rich in my next life.

Just being curious .. if money or time were not a consideration how often (or long )would you cruise ??

I'd do an Around-the-World cruise!

I'd cruise every couple of months if I could afford it. I've got a 'bucket list' of cruises I wish I could do: Greece, South America, Antarctic area, Scandinavia, South Pacific. A variety of AK (I'm going in May for the first time), another Panama Canal, another British Isles but including ports in Scotland. I also haven't yet cruised to St Petersburg.

So many possibilities -- :rolleyes:

If money and time were no object, I'd take the Grand World Cruise each year. I'd also book the Owner's Suite aboard Sea Cloud II a few times a year and experience real sailing. I also have the hots for the new Prince Albert II, and would circumnavigate the globe from Pole to Pole in her.

Best of all, I'd cruise everywhere and never have to remove my shoes in an airport security line.

As much as I like to cruise, I don't want it to become too commonplace. So twice per year, maybe three every now and then, would suit me just fine. Call me crazy, but I have no desire to take a World Cruise. That's waaaaay too long to be on board for me. YMMV.

Great question!

3-4 months at a time and then a month or 2 off and back on land.

Definately a world cruise followed by a series of Grand Voyages.

I'd love to cruise around South America and the Amazon. The Voyage of the Vikings as reported by Jeff looked amazing! The current Grand Voyage to the South Pacific followed by Australia and New Zealand....WOW!

Of course, DH and I adore the Caribbean cruises, love the islands with their gorgeous beaches and culture.

We haven't done a total transit of the Panama Canal- although that would probably be part of a World Cruise.

DH used to be a bartender on a cruise ship prior to our meeting and me "stealing that sailor from the sea" 18 years ago- Sooooo I KNOW he can spend lots of time at sea.

I'm a nurse- I would probably volunteer some of my time in the Medical Center- so my skills wouldn't get rusty- Maybe DH could bartend a bit.

I've always envied Mama Lou's "retirement" on HAL. DH and I have had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Mama Lou- What a way to live!

Enjoy- Kathy

If time and money were no object, I would cruise about 3 months out of the year until I retire. You see, I really love what I do and, for the foreseeable future, I don't want to do anything else. :) I can't imagine myself NOT serving as the pastor of a church. However, if I could have as much vacation time as I would like, I would cruise about 90-100 days out of the year. I'd love to do a couple of 30-day cruises each year, with 3 or 4 shorter (10-day) cruises in between the longer ones. I would love the time to do one of the 60-day circumnavigations of the Pacific. I'd love to spend three months in Europe one year, doing cruises in the Baltic and in the Med, with land-portions in-between. I would like to do the World Cruise (all the way around) every 10 years, or so.

Once I've retired (when I'm about 80 or thereabouts, I would imagine), I think I would gladly live aboard ship, with the only time spent on land being the few days in-between residencies aboard ship. I would gladly serve as Protestant chaplain for the crew and passengers, too ... just to fulfill my calling as a minister.

The problem for me will, of course, be both time AND money. The most I can cruise in any given normal year is 1 month ... about 35 days. I'm due 5 weeks of vacation a year, and I take them every year. But, I don't take them all at one time ... I spread them around the year (10 here, 15 there, 10 over here ... that kind of thing; sometimes I'll take 20 - 25 in one clump, then I'll take one shorter cruise to finish out my time off). Every 10, or so, years I'm supposed to take a Sabbatical leave of up to 1 full month in addition to my 5 weeks of vacation time. I've not done it, yet, but am planning on it for 2011. It should be a great way to do one Grand Voyage (30-60 days) ever decade, or so, before I retire. But that's about all I can manage right now.

As for the money ... well ... there will never be enough of that for the kind of cruising I would like to do (even in inside cabins). And, most certainly, there won't be enough money for me to live aboard ship when I retire. However, I do plan on doing at least one world cruise when I retire. I'm already saving money for it on a plan that should have at least one such world circumnavigation for two people in an inside cabin (inclusive of fare, estimated onboard expenses, estimated shore excursions, estimated cost of paying my normal bills while I'm away, etc) fully paid for by the time I hit retirement. If time and economies are good to me, I hope to have enough to do more than one such cruise, but at least one will be assured. Other "Grand Voyage" type cruises will also be on the agenda once I retire.

Time and money are not nearly the deterrent we feel at being away from our fabulous furkids. Until we can take them with us, cruises will probably never be more than a couple of weeks at a time and no more than two or three times a year.

Archived