If money/time were no object ,how often would you cruise?

COLLEYBERRY

If money was no problem I'd sail at least one 10+ day cruise every couple of months. My real problem would be finding a way to keep my two kitties from abandoning me or thinking I had abandoned them. Can't imagine life without a cruise in my future. Can't imagine life without pets either.

I think I agree with those who have said 90-100 days a year. That would allow us to do at least one long cruise (30+ days) and several shorter ones (at least 10-14 days at a time). We don't like being away from home for too long a period at one time so splitting it up and having something to look forward to every few months would be ideal. However, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about -- I think it's pretty fair to say that while we may at some point have the time, I don't think we'll ever have the money. Oh well, I'm off to buy my lottery ticket.......LOL :)

Don't forget there are 3 things you need. Time, money and GOOD HEALTH.

Now we are retired we have all the time in the world to cruise (we also do not have family or pets), the money side while not unlimited is not really a problem but now we have reached the time in our lives when we could cruise ill health is limiting us at the moment.

What I would say to you younger folk don't put off all your dreams until retirement. Do as much as you can while you are young enough and fit enough to enjoy them.

Don't forget there are 3 things you need. Time, money and GOOD HEALTH.

Now we are retired we have all the time in the world to cruise (we also do not have family or pets), the money side while not unlimited is not really a problem but now we have reached the time in our lives when we could cruise ill health is limiting us at the moment.

What I would say to you younger folk don't put off all your dreams until retirement. Do as much as you can while you are young enough and fit enough to enjoy them.

Thank you for reminding us of that fact. Several years ago I led a bereavement group for younger (under 60) widows and widowers. Every single one of them told me repeatedly not to wait to do the things you really want to do. So many of them had held off taking trips, believing there was always tomorrow. It was very sad but it also lit a fire inside of me to not just put things off. Ever since that night when I came home and told my DH that story, we've taken advantage of having some resources and some time and doing the things we truly enjoy doing -- cruising being up at the top of that list. Thanks again for a timely reminder and I hope your heath issues clear up so that you can enjoy your retirement.

Before Grandbaby i would have said as often as possible, all year would have been great! Now with him 2 yrs old and we have him alot, this 2 week cruise coming up is going to make me anxious. I still love cruising, and will continue to do it, but I also think i will swap off year to year with land vacations so he may come with us. I will try cruising with him one day but he needs to be older and be able to sit still for awhile especially at dinner and we are not there yet!

THREE CHEERS TO THAT !!!! :cool:;) My philosophy exactly.Do all you can while you still have two fair enough legs, and a brain still smart enough to know what to do with them !!!:rolleyes:

Enjoy a S.K.I trip soonest possible ( S.K.I: S pending K ids I nheritance )....:D

Don't wait till you're pushing daisies to get on with cruising.

Cheers

:)

I enjoy cruising but that is my getaway from real life. I still like my life-most of the time- I just need a "time out" now and again to "recharge." I would love to cruise 3 times a year though-instead of once a year, and sometimes a shorter cruise thrown in. Since we can't afford to cruise that often, we will take long weekend trips in the mix, and stay at a B & B a couple of nights, within a 2 or 3 hour drive from our home.

B & B's are my second most favorite getaway. We will be heading up to Ashville, NC, in a week or so, for a long weekend.

Right now time is the deciding factor as my DW still works full time and isn't eligible to retire for several more years. I guess I'm semi-retired as I have my full Federal pension but work as a consultant to take up the time while my wife works. That said, I think if time wasn't an issue then we'd cruise 2-3 times a year rather than the once a year we do now. We have decided not to put off our major dream cruises until my wife retires. The truth is that she's 13 years younger and if we wait until she retires I might not be able to enjoy those cruises as much.

THREE CHEERS TO THAT !!!! :cool:;) My philosophy exactly.Do all you can while you still have two fair enough legs, and a brain still smart enough to know what to do with them !!!:rolleyes:

Enjoy a S.K.I trip soonest possible ( S.K.I: S pending K ids I nheritance )....:D

Don't wait till you're pushing daisies to get on with cruising.

Cheers

:)

I also agree - to a point. I didn't take my first cruise until both my husband and I had some close calls with our health (we were both only in our 40s at the time too), and as a celebration for both of us pulling through, we booked a Med cruise in 2007, the memories of which I'll always cherish. Unfortunately, many young people have been doing just that, all that they can, and that's why their credit card debt is out of control and their mortgages are underwater. And who will pay for that?

When DH and I were married, we decided not to take a honeymoon - not because we couldn't afford it (we weren't making very much at the time, probably around 80-90K combined), or because we couldn't take the time off of work (we could), but because we didn't like the connotation associated with it. People seem to take their "honeymoon" and that's "it" - that's their one big trip that they ever take, until they might some day down the line take a "Second honeymoon."

Instead, we decided that we'd travel as often as we could - not spend a lot of money, not necessarily go far, but travel. A few weeks after we were married, we went to Montreal for a few days, for a really romantic trip (and when people ask us where we went on our honeymoon, over the years it just became easier to tell them that we went to Montreal than to explain all of this.)

In the first year of our marriage, My father-in-law died. He died with over a year of vacation days banked - planning to take my mother-in-law on a really big, blow out, trip.

We make sure we take all our allotted vacation every year, and we find a way to afford *something* even in years that we've had to struggle ($18 (tax inclusive) plane tickets to Mazatlan coupled with a 5 day free all inclusive hotel stay, for example). We just don't want to miss out on that time with each other.

A few years back, on a Riverboat cruise we took up the Mississippi, we met a very good friend of ours. He was traveling solo, because his wife had passed away some years ago. He had made a promise with her that they would travel a few months each year, do things they'd never done before, and when she was dying, she made him promise that he would continue to do it. We met him on the Riverboat, and had seen him after that when he took a train across country, and received postcards from him doing all sorts of other things (taking a balloon across Europe, riding a camel in Africa, etc). We were very sad when his granddaughter called us to tell us he'd passed away at the age of 93, but he'd just gotten back from his yearly trek, so he was sprightly to the last.

• 3 months later...

In theory I would book a spacious suite with a hot tub for just me, have lovely piped in music and my own personal library.I would sail until there were no more places left to see then I would find myself a private spot in the carribean with all the amenities to live happily ever after!

I'm weaning myself off long trips to Italy (last year there were 3) with cruising. My first cruise ever was just this past November and I loved it! I've got 7 weeks worth of cruises lined up for this year and only 1 trip to Italy plus I will still have my week long outings to San Francisco, the Oregon Coast, and places closer to home. Needless to say I LOVE to travel but since I have COPD it is getting a bit harder to go abroad. I do so much better at sea level and how much closer can I get than being on a ship!

in a reasonable size cabin on an upscale ship flying first class on a non US carrier to the port . Then do 2 weeks or a few days more. Our list is for:

HK to Singapore, South Pacific, Brit isles, N. Europe to Russia, South America and Galapogos, and down the East coast from Canada. We've been to most of the Caribbean islands but might do it again on a small Luxe ship that goes to more exotic ports. The worst part will be the flying and even 1st class can be boring.

Archived