When is "high season/low season" for Caribbean cruises?

Pretty much completely clueless when it comes to cruising. Have traveled a LOT but was never a cruiser. I think that may be changing. :)

I know the best time to go to X and the best "bargain" timeframe to go to Y but I don't have much of an idea when it comes to cruising.

Focus would likely be Caribbean destinations for now. Florida departure ports (although that's not set in stone). Love to find bargains and am quite flexible. Tips from the veterans?! Thanks!

High Season is summertime, holidays, and springbreak/easter time. Low season is sept/oct (mid hurricane season) and jan/feb. There are some great deals to be had during low season. That is when we cruise, and we love, love, love it!

This is true now, but years ago when cruising was more elitist the winter months of Jan, Feb and Mar were high spring and late fall, value season and summer through mid fall(hurricane time) was economy.

Basically since cruising is much more of an affordable family vacation now anytime the kids are off is high season.

Edited by Sue L

Aug..Sept..Oct..Would be the months I would avoid the Caribbean...Have sailed there in Jan and Mar...beautiful...but keep in mind weather can change at anytime and so can the prices....:rolleyes:

...we just took a very cheap cruise (5 nites 235 PP) out of New Orleans in September.

Weather was wet and very warm in N.O. ...dryer but VERY hot in Caribbean. Not ideal..but wow, so cheap we couldn/t pass it up and still had a great time.

Another good time other than those posted, is the first two weeks of December; BEFORE

the holidays. Good prices and the weather is perfect in the Caribbean by then.

Mitch

I've found the best bargains after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

Indeed. That's what I always tell people about vacation bargains in general.

Wasn't sure about cruising, but nearly any destination/travel oriented item is a bargain during that time frame. I use that big advantage nearly every year somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback folks! It's appreciated!:)

Agree that this time frame is a great time to cruise if you can swing it. It does put a rush on getting ready for Christmas and when you get back..the holiday is on your doorstep, but with a little planning it is a super time to cruise...weather is just right out of Florida and the prices are usually very good. I have booked longer (10+ days) cruises at this time over Thanksgiving as well for usually good prices probably because the kids can't be taken out of school for that long.

Deb

Cruise agent here PLUS a 25 cruises guy...I tell friends & clients WORST time and most $$ are:Spring break (usually March & 1st 2 weeks of April),June-August summer break,Xmas & New Year's weeks..BEST times & bargains:Jan.,1st 2 weeks of Feb.,May,late Aug-1st 2 weeks of Nov.,and 1st 2 weeks of Dec. are great bargain times...Thanksgiving week can also be pretty good price wise,BUT there are alot of kids on those cruises..good thing is many of us get 2 days off that week anyway,and many kids have 2-5 days off as well.We have cruised 4 times at TG,but also 1-2 weeks before is great,too...weather is good,and few children,and good deals....Sept-Oct is good too,but still very HOT & HUMID...good luck...

Big Al

I cruise almost exclusively during the winter months, because I live in horribly cold climate and need the escape. This is by no means scientific, but I've found the lowest winter prices for western Caribbean cruises tend to be around the last week in January. However, for the southern Caribbean, it's often the end of February through first week in March. I realize the latter goes against the spring break theory, however I doubt many spring breakers fly to San Juan to begin their vacation.

We typically cruise in May (before schools are out) or Sept/October for the best deals. I know going in September we are always running the risk of hurricanes, but so far we've been fortunate to not have anything interfere w/the trip. I've found some great balcony deals in September for $850 a person (one week travel). I'm looking for some good deals now for early May!

• 4 years later...
I have gotten some really good deals in May which is after the spring break season but before the summer season. Plus the weather is great!

I agree with this!! I just booked a Grand Suite on the Oasis for the last week of May, and it was about $1800 less than the same itinerary two weeks later.

My husband and I really enjoy cruising in the fall. Great deals, ships don't seem as crowded with fewer kids.

You do take chances though. We were on Carnival Dream during hurricane Sandy, and because we couldn't get back into Port Canaveral, our 7-day cruise turned into an 8-day. Surprisingly, our weather in all ports that week was beautiful.

Our recent B2B on FOS was in September, and we had absolutely perfect weather for both weeks. Sunny, clear skies, and 80's.