Get Well Soonest Don Horner

WesW

I can't believe you have wireless in the hospital. Never happen in Canada. They're still fixated on cell phones, even though every Dr is carrying one ( except my luddite DH).

Once again, best wishes and it sounds as if things are moving along as they should. Not sure about that "knowing" in the biblical sense though, hope Betsy doesn't get upset......

Mo

I can't believe you have wireless in the hospital. Never happen in Canada. They're still fixated on cell phones, even though every Dr is carrying one ( except my luddite DH).

Once again, best wishes and it sounds as if things are moving along as they should. Not sure about that "knowing" in the biblical sense though, hope Betsy doesn't get upset......

Mo

Well, there is supposed to be WiFi somewhere in the hospital, but I cheat. I have a Sprint AirCard that uses 3G cellular technology (4G where available) to give me internet service virtually anywhere I can get a cell signal. Works great for traveling, especially in the RV, works aboard Oceania ships (but not Regent), and now works in the hospital.

We use 3 cell phones -- one for Betsy, one for me and one for the home phone that we had ported to a cell phone a couple of years ago to preserve the number we've had for almost 40 years. We no longer have a land line anywhere.

Plimsol (Grace) and others that have related their similar experiences. you raise my spirits. It's so easy to slip into "poor me" mode.

Although we've been cyber-stalking Don for more years than I care to think about, we hadn't met until our Genoa adventure, last month.

He (and Betsy) are more than you could hope for. Really delightful people.

I won't embarass them by listing their many attributes here, but I will quote one of the journalists from the trip who referred to Don as "startlingly genuine".

Isn't that a wonderful phrase? And it fits like a glove.

We wish you Many more Happy Voyages, Don & Betsy :D

It's official. I just got off the phone with Rickey. They had a couple of B4 cabins left on Marina for the inaugural Panama Canal voyage on February 8, 2011. We're going to be in 7118, which is pretty far aft, but I don't think there is a bad location on Marina.

We really wanted to take this cruise, but it we're taking the Maiden voyage from Barcelona, and both were a bit more than our budget would stand. I'm pretty sure the trip insurance will take care of this year's loss, so that makes the $$$ available for next year.

So, yes, it looks like we'll be sailing with Jan and Stu, and Jim & Stan, and Rickey 88, and all the other good folks next year. I've been to Colon, Panama, but never through the Canal, and never up the Mexican coast, and never to California anywhere, so I'm really excited.

So, things sometimes happen for a reason. I'm not sure I'd recommend this method to anyone else, however...:rolleyes:

Don,

I just read your post about your sailing on the Inaugural Passage, next February.......Hooray!!! :D

We could not be sorrier about the circumstances, but selfishly we're thinking about that old adage "It's an ill wind that blows no good". ;)

Now that we are going to be shipmates, we'd love to invite you and Betsy to join us for dinner on the night of "the big birthday".

The date is February 15th, which is the sea day between Puntarenas and Puerto Chiapas.

We're going to try to reserve Privee, unless that really IS an Owners Suite Only amenity, so until we know, we're keeping our guest list down to ten. :rolleyes:

Hopefully you're free, and please remember that the only gift we can accept is the gift of your company.

Jim, wouldn't think of missing it. If I'm able, I'll deliver the required number of shoulder jabs (and I know how many :p)

You embarrassed me a bit with your earlier comments, but then I took solace in the fact that I startled at least one journalist -- I didn't think anything would surprise them...but they were all neat people.

It's official. I just got off the phone with Rickey. They had a couple of B4 cabins left on Marina for the inaugural Panama Canal voyage on February 8, 2011. We're going to be in 7118, which is pretty far aft, but I don't think there is a bad location on Marina.

We really wanted to take this cruise, but it we're taking the Maiden voyage from Barcelona, and both were a bit more than our budget would stand. I'm pretty sure the trip insurance will take care of this year's loss, so that makes the $$$ available for next year.

So, yes, it looks like we'll be sailing with Jan and Stu, and Jim & Stan, and Rickey 88, and all the other good folks next year. I've been to Colon, Panama, but never through the Canal, and never up the Mexican coast, and never to California anywhere, so I'm really excited.

So, things sometimes happen for a reason. I'm not sure I'd recommend this method to anyone else, however...:rolleyes:

Don, Stu and I will be happy to show you around "our city" LAX..what do you and Betsy like to do..the Getty Museum is great so is Farmers Market ot the Holocaust Museum, Rodeo Drive, Marina Del Rey..just let me know and we will make arrangements..

Glad to see you are keeping up the good spirits, Don. Keep feeling better! Smooth sailing ahead to you and Betsy! Glad we met you guys a year ago at Christmas/New Years.

Well, having weaned myself successfully from these boards, visiting only every four or five days, I just read about Don's predicament.

But in just a few minutes of review, I have read now how much better he is doing every day.

Keep up with the excellent recovery! Although we have not met yet, your posts have provided me with both a lot of insight regarding Oceania as well as lot of chuckles.

Best wishes!

Pam

:(As one Don to the other Don, please take care of yourself as Pat & I will be adding you to our prayer list. I may be selfish, however, I want you to hang around long enough so that we may have the pleasure of cruising with you. May the Good Lord take care of you and please keep us all informed of the good news as you recover.

God Bless, ftrplt

I'm lucky and I'm blessed. I was transported to the hospital last Friday with a stroke, and now, on Thursday evening, just 6 days later, I returned home with no visible symptoms. I'm even making fewer typos that I have to go back and correct (and miss, occasionally). I still have a nasty clot in the left atrium

(although less nasty that the last time we looked at it, via ultra-sound), and I'm now on Coumadin, the same as many of my fellow cruisers. I still have slight tingling in my left arm, but no more than one experiences when falling asleep in an awkward position. I laid around for almost a week and I'm weak, but I walked in the long driveway after closing the gate this evening, and climbed a few steps to our porch. I'll be ready to walk off the top of the Rock of Gibraltar again in a few days.

It helped to share this adventure with so many wonderful friends, but out of deference to those that are tired of hearing this dreary tale, we should probably close out this thread and get back to the future. Thanks again for all the good wishes; they really helped.

Hi Don !

My apologies for the late post, but I wanted to wish you all the very best, and for a speedy recovery. It sounds like things are improving rapidly, and I am thrilled to hear this.

May you and your DW have many wonderful cruises ahead !

Glad to see that you returned from this trip with all of your 'luggage' intact. Nothing like a wake up call to remind us to cruise while we can. Looking forward to meeting you on the Marina (and darn, even if Sandra Bullock is Godmother, it looks like she won't be bringing Jesse along).

We wish you well - look forward to meeting up with you on Marina in November, 2011. I am an EMT/Firefighter and instruct in CPR & First aid. It looks like you will have plenty of good help on board. Get well soon. God Bless....

Archived