What will we miss if we choose not to attend formal nights?

Teamv

Now I don't want to start another debate about what people feel is appropriate to wear in the main dining room, as a search of this forum can tell me all I want to know (and more) about that!

My questions is, what will my family be missing if we do not attend formal or smart casual dinners in the main dining room? We are a casual family of 4 planning a Freedom cruise. Dressing up is easier for me as I can wear clothes that are dressy but comfortable, but not so much for the guys. DH enjoys dressing up occasionally, but not on a warm weather vacation. Our teen boys love wearing shorts in the winter, as we live in Canada.

So before we plan not to bring dressy clothes, is there something that you feel we will be missing?

We've only done 2 cruises but feel you won't miss anything unless you're really into the "Dressing Up" thing. We prefer the Windjammer as it's easier to watch what you eat which means less time in the Fitness Center ;o)

You won't miss much. On formal nights they have special meals; but most of the time whatever they serve in the main dining room; you can get in the windjammer. On formal nights the wait staff will put on a show; its no big deal. You can still wear casual to the dining room on formal nights. Even though most passengers will have tux's or suits on, there will be people who are dressed in pants and regular shirt. so don't worry about what people think, enjoy yourself and have a great time.

As long as you are not dressed in a sloppy manner you will be just fine in the main dining room. My hubby prefers to wear a sweater type t-shirt top with his jacket and a paid of nice slacks, no tie, and we have never been turned away.

You wouldn't be missing much I think. But if you don't feel like dressing up but still want to have formal dinner in the dining room, remember that 99% of cruisers don't know upitty CC wrath about how to dress in the dining room and that's a really good thing. People clean up for formal night, but many don't wear dresses or suits and they are fine.

In my opinion you wont miss much at all

The food in the MDR is just ok in my opinion. Not saying it's bad just saying it's ok. I found the service just ok as well. During our last cruise we chose to eat in the MDR on just 3 occasions and on other occasions used the Wind Jammer or even Johnny Rockets on one occasion. We found that a good breakfast and a mid afternoon snack was enough to keep us going.

However, we did do the first formal night and will do this time as well although I will not be wearing a tie this time as I discovered this to be uneccessary.

Black lounge suit, with an open neck quality shirt is what I shall be wearing, probably a pink one.

I certainly wouldn't miss formal night just because I didn't bring a tuxedo or suit along. Whether we like the trend or not, casual dress is seen in the main dining room on every night during the cruise. As long as the guests are neatly dressed and comport themselves in a mannerly fashion, it won't effect the quality of my time in the dining room. I prefer to follow the suggested dress guidelines but that is my choice, so don't deny yourself the opportunity to dine in the MDR on formal nights just because you haven't brought formalwear.

If your into seafood you'll miss out on that. During our last cruise we were thinking about doing a specialty restaurant. Unfortunately I hate seafood and my parents love it, so they wanted to do it on a casual night when all the "good" meals are and I wanted it on a formal night when all the "bad" seafood meals are. Eventually no one won and we ate the MDR each night, lol.

As far as I am concerned you won't be missing much except getting dressed up in uncomfortable clothing. We have become so unimpressed with the main dining room that we stopped eating any meals there several cruises ago. There is just too much noise and commotion in there for me.

As far as I am concerned you won't be missing much expect getting dressed up in uncomfortable clothing. We have become so unimpressed with the main dining room that we stopped eating any meals there several cruises ago. There is just too much noise and commotion in there fo me.

I'd go with that. I don't find the MDR particularly good or enthralling. It's just ok.

I find the service either quite slow or the complete opposite too rushed.

You will miss the delicious sliced tenderloin with peppercorn sauce on the first formal night, and lobster tail on the second. These are not served in the Windjammer, tho' many of the MDR dishes are avaiable there at night. There are no "smart casual" nights anymore. If you prefer a buffet do that. If you prefer a sit-down dining experience, go to the MDR on formal night. The guys do not have to wear suits or sport coats. Long pants and shirt will be just fine.

You'll miss nothing ..Eat in the WJ or other venues available..Enjoy a great cruise....

BTW...Have actually liked the WJ food better than the MDR on several cruises...and so has our family...

I agree you won't miss much..........we will soon complete our 21st cruise and 17th on Royal Caribbean.........whether we like it or not the trend on RC is less and less formal.......on some recent cruises I would say the men in a coat or tux was even hovering at or below 50%...........just dress in some nice slacks, polo shirt.....and you'll be fine.

Alot has changed even since 2005.......and it is changing to casual more and more every day.........JMO with what I see.

It is not a question of being turned away. It is simply a matter of possessing good taste and proper manners. We always honor the prescribed dress codes, especially for formal night. If we do not feel like honoring the dress code for formal night we simply eat in WJ.

You'll miss nothing ..Eat in the WJ or other venues available..Enjoy a great cruise....

BTW...Have actually liked the WJ food better than the MDR on several cruises...and so has our family...

I agree. We're not bringing anything formal for our upcoming Oasis cruise. I can't imagine that the lobster in the MDR is very good or worth dressing up for. We're looking forward to the other dining options and not worrying about the MDR.

I agree. We're not bringing anything formal for our upcoming Oasis cruise. I can't imagine that the lobster in the MDR is very good or worth dressing up for. We're looking forward to the other dining options and not worrying about the MDR.
People say "worth dressing up for" as if it's some huge burden. Is it really that hard to tie a tie and put a coat on? Or to put on a dress instead of a skirt and a top?

You are not missing much of anything, most especially if you are not really looking forward to dressing in formal or very dressy attire. Some folks really enjoy the formal night tradition. Others, like myself, prefer to eat in a premium restaurant that night, eat in the Windjammer or order room service.

There are those who will say, however, that it would be a good experience for your sons to dress up and see others dressed up because it is good training for their adult lives especially if they enter professions in which such dress is demanded for special events. So they could go to one formal night just for the experience and skip the other.

We have been to many formal nights dressed as required, but I just don't get the kick out of it that some folks do. So out of respect for those who do want the experience of formal attire and lobster, we eat elsewhere on at least one formal night, sometimes both.

The only thing you will be missing is a few special menu items. I don't like lobster but my DH does, however we can get better lobster at home so if he misses it he doesn't care.

We are seriously considering skipping the formal nights for our next cruise. Formal clothes take up a lot of space (and weight) in our luggage so we are leaning towards just going to the WJ or a specialty restaurant those evenings.

On our most recent cruise, we decided to go much more casual than in the past and chose not to go to either formal night in the dining room. We didn't miss getting dressed up (or carrying the formal wear in our luggage, or the luggage charges from the airlines), but, to be honest, we DID feel out of place when we went for a dinner-time walk on the Promenade on the first formal night dressed in our shorts and tees when most of the people we saw were dressed up! On the second formal night, we purposely avoided the Promenade between 5:30 and 8:30.

People say "worth dressing up for" as if it's some huge burden. Is it really that hard to tie a tie and put a coat on? Or to put on a dress instead of a skirt and a top?

It's a burden in that it comes with lugging extra shoes, etc to go with the nicer dress/coat and tie. It's extra space in the suitcase, which these days are at a premium. And sitting through the bad service and ridiculous "performances" by the waiters are a waste of time.

If we go to formal night in the MDR, we will dress accordingly. We just don't think it's worth the bother.

You know I promised my family we wouldn't do formal night because getting my 2 boys and hubby to dress on their vacation is not easy - so I can relate. However, we had such a great server, and I just loved the dining room, that about an hour before the formal dinner, I looked at my hubby, batted my lashes a bit, and announced that I really wanted to go!!

I had a dress - he had a dress shirt/slacks but no jacket. Older son went with collared shirt and kahki's, (younger one went to the kids club) - and we had a great time! We skipped the picture line, and counted the number of men without jackets on the way to our table, and it was fairly high. I don't think we ruined anyone's dinner.

You know, going out for dinner where I am served, and not trying to calculate the lowest possible dinner check rarely happens for me, so I loved every minute of it.

Archived