Bad service from Room Stewart

cruisealot54

On on recent Panama cruise we had very bad service from our Room Stewart. It seemed that we had to ask and re-ask him for things but still did not always get it (conditioner etc). We are pretty laid back passengers and don't require a lot of pampering, but our problem on this cruise was over ice. We like to keep ice in our room for sodas when we sit out on our balcony in the afternoon. We asked that the steward bring ice in the morning so that it would be there when it was needed. This was a concept he could not get even after asking 4-5 times; we finally gave up and would fill our glasses with ice from the buffet before heading to our room. I wanted to register a complaint but my husband who is more giving then me at times said, don't say anything, you don't want him to get in trouble or lose his job. That last thing I would want to do is be the reason for someone losing their job over a filled ice bucket. So my question to you, is how do you handle situations like this

On on recent Panama cruise we had very bad service from our Room Stewart. It seemed that we had to ask and re-ask him for things but still did not always get it (conditioner etc). We are pretty laid back passengers and don't require a lot of pampering, but our problem on this cruise was over ice. We like to keep ice in our room for sodas when we sit out on our balcony in the afternoon. We asked that the steward bring ice in the morning so that it would be there when it was needed. This was a concept he could not get even after asking 4-5 times; we finally gave up and would fill our glasses with ice from the buffet before heading to our room. I wanted to register a complaint but my husband who is more giving then me at times said, don't say anything, you don't want him to get in trouble or lose his job. That last thing I would want to do is be the reason for someone losing their job over a filled ice bucket. So my question to you, is how do you handle situations like this

Leave notes on your pillow...they really work! :D

Your ice bucket should have been filled both morning and night, so indeed your room steward did seem to have a communication problem. BUT, without reporting it, there is no way the problem could have been corrected.

If you ever need ice, all you have to do is to pick up the phone and call room service though, they will bring it within minutes of the request.

Sorry to hear your room steward did not complete his duties are requested, that is definitely not living up to his duties for passengers. :(

We must have had the same room steward!!! Last year ours was great in all ways, except for getting ice for us. We asked for it every day, and sometimes got it after asking a couple of times, and sometimes didn't. And we responded much like you - it's a pretty little thing as far as we're concerned, and everything else was great, so the walk to the buffet didn't hurt me one bit to bring back some ice, and it even justified eating too much at the next pit stop ....for all that hard calorie burning work I did making the extra trip!!!

You should have complained......nothing will get resolved if these matters just keep getting swept under the carpet. We have always gotten ice in the bucket twice a day without ever having to ask.

Maybe it was because you kept calling him Stewart!:eek::D;)

Thanks for the chuckle.

Thanks to all for your input. All but two of our cruises have been on Princess and this was first time that we have the ice "issue", so I guess we were lucky. On our next cruise we will be a little more assertive ( but with a smile of course).

We were on the Island and this was the first time that service in our cabin wasn't quite the usual pampering, as a matter of fact we had ice issues as well. When I actually did see our room steward I asked him how many rooms he had to clean and he said 30. Then I felt his pain. That is a lot of rooms to take care of. I did leave him notes and that seemed to help. I kind of felt sorry for him. Maybe Princess has cut back on stewards and given those left way too much to do.

You call not getting ice bad service? IMHO, another case of unrealistic expectations.
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a cabin steward to bring ice when cleaning the room. It's part of the job duties.

In the ice instance, there are several easy fixes. The OP took one of them--bringing ice down from the buffet. Calling room service is another way to get ice. Leaving a note is a third. And finally, speaking to the room steward's supervisor would be the fourth. But I probably wouldn't want to use the ice if I had to resort to that one.

I'm laughing, 'cuz the last time we cruised our room steward kept asking us if we wanted ice...'don't you want ice?" "can't I bring you ice?" "you don't have any ice, do you want some?" to which we always responded, "no, thanks!" :o :D

You call not getting ice bad service? IMHO, another case of unrealistic expectations.

I wouldn't consider it 'bad service' but more like 'missing service' which is part of the room steward/stewardess job. ;)

I don't feel that receiving ice twice a day falls under the heading of 'unrealistic expectations'?????

I sorry I agree with the OP, having ice is pretty basic. The steward was not doing the job required. It is even worse when they have repeatedly asked for it. We would have talked with the supervisor and not have let it go.

It seems there is a definite problem with "Stewart" wherever he goes. He must be jumping from ship to ship without Princess's knowledge.icon7.gif

The best way to get fresh ice when you want it is to call room service, it is their job. The steward usually refills your small plastic container in the morning, sometimes "Stewart" does not comply with this.

I usually call room service the first or second day and order ice for about 4 PM every day and always get a BIG bucket of it for drinks. Works forr me.

I usually do these things on my first day, I tip my steward 20$ and ask him for 2 robes, ask for extra pillows, and tell him need ice in the bucket every day and night. I also put a post-it on the bucket. Post-its also go on the bathroom mirror with other requests like extra hangers or soap and such. Never had a problem

Not at all unrealistic; it's an expected service. Ice is not just for in-cabin drinking; there are many other reasons why people want/need ice, not least of which is to keep medications cool. My daughter uses ice when she returns from an excursion and needs to ice her ankle. If it's hot on your balcony and you come in, ice water is really nice to have.

To the OP: if the cruiseline doesn't know there's a problem, they can't correct it. You're not whining or complaining if you let your cabin steward's supervisor know that (s)he isn't providing ice even after multiple requests.

In many hotels clients get their own ice from an Ice Machine from a room specially there for that reason.

Why would we expect more service onboard ship than from a $300 a night hotel room only no extras.?

Most of the cabin stewards work their butts of for us.Also how many hotels still give turndown service every evening apart from their special high priced floor?

So if ' ICE' is the only complaint I am sorry but thats not a good one in my books.

Archived