Lack of self-serve laundry facilities...

Pengawin3

The presence or lack of a laundry has never been used in determining what cruise I take. I can adapt to either situation without any problem.

Cheryl....:p

Well that kind of says it all in a nutshell....I "ditto" your thoughts!:D

We took a 7 nighter on MSC Poesia this spring. I was spoiled by Celebrity's 'bag' offers, so my DH swore that if I bypassed the laundry service on the ship, he's take the dirty stuff to the local wash-n-fold. Well... guess who ended up doing the laundry at home? :eek: Never again. I am more than happy to let Celebrity's laundry staff help me enjoy my vacation that much more.

I actually wouldn't mind them having a laundrette to have the option of being able to wash a few of my own clothes if I wanted to, especially for the longer cruises. But it is also not a deal breaker either if a ship doesn't have one. I don't mind sending out shirts or pants to get laundered, but it drives me nuts when I have to send out underwear and socks to be cleaned. I overpack mine to avoid sending them out, but my husband does not. I just find it a waste of money to send out things like underwear and socks. Usually I will stuff extra of my husbands underwear and socks in the suitcase when he is not looking because he is always running short and never packs enough of them. We also never got a fill the bag laundry special on our last couple of cruises. Maybe that is only for elite members and we are select??? Because we would definitely use that. I was only on one ship that had a self service laundrette and I did use it. I do find dry cleaning costs for suits and gowns though to be a much better deal on the ship than at my home drycleaners.

We also have cruised Princess lots and I love the option of having the washer/dryer available if needed. Plus, the ironing board and iron is a wonderful perk. I just read on our board for our upcoming TA cruise on the Equinox that Celebrity has stopped the "stuff a bag" for one price. That is a real disappointment as we would have availed ourselves of it. I'm not obsessed with laundry but I too like clean clothes and when laundry services are available, I pack less!

We also have cruised Princess lots and I love the option of having the washer/dryer available if needed. Plus, the ironing board and iron is a wonderful perk. I just read on our board for our upcoming TA cruise on the Equinox that Celebrity has stopped the "stuff a bag" for one price. That is a real disappointment as we would have availed ourselves of it. I'm not obsessed with laundry but I too like clean clothes and when laundry services are available, I pack less!

Hi:), the iron thing? That is a fire hazard. Actually, I am surprised

they have irons availbable on Princess.

The irons are in the laundry room along with the ironing boards that pull out from the wall. The entire room is tiled and metal and the irons are permanently attached to the walls and have timers on them to shut off automatically. I guess they could be a fire hazarad but I don't think as much as if they were being used in the cabin where one might be tempted to iron the bed or a towel on the dresser. Anyway, I love that ammenity on Princess and I will miss it on Celebrity. But, I'll get by:D.

Does Celebrity offer laundry with unscented detergent? I have very sensitive skin, and if my clothes are washed in scented or harsh detergent I get an itchy rash. I'd much rather wash a load or two on vacation that walk around itching. I appreciate self serve laundry facilities.

I love having the option of laundry on vacation. We pack light (one carry on each for a 2 week trip) and getting everything in plus dress clothes for cruising is tricky sometimes. When I travel overseas I am more than happy to spend 2 hours to do laundry to take literally half the luggage. On our last celebrity cruise we did not get the stuff the bag offer until 2 days before the trip was over. I dont want to take clean clothes home, I want to get my clothes done half way. We had already sent our clothes out and ended up spending $40 instead of $20. I called earlier in the week and they wouldnt say if they were doing the special or not. We probably wouldnt have waited anyways but it kinda felt like a scam. If they are going to offer the special why cant they just tell you.

So to the OP, I cant really stress enough that I love onboard laundry and I miss it dearly on celebrity. We are doing 14 day in 2011 plus a few days before and after. Going to be tough to pack light enough to get into carry-ons!

I love having the option of laundry on vacation. We pack light (one carry on each for a 2 week trip) and getting everything in plus dress clothes for cruising is tricky sometimes. When I travel overseas I am more than happy to spend 2 hours to do laundry to take literally half the luggage. On our last celebrity cruise we did not get the stuff the bag offer until 2 days before the trip was over. I dont want to take clean clothes home, I want to get my clothes done half way. We had already sent our clothes out and ended up spending $40 instead of $20. I called earlier in the week and they wouldnt say if they were doing the special or not. We probably wouldnt have waited anyways but it kinda felt like a scam. If they are going to offer the special why cant they just tell you.

So to the OP, I cant really stress enough that I love onboard laundry and I miss it dearly on celebrity. We are doing 14 day in 2011 plus a few days before and after. Going to be tough to pack light enough to get into carry-ons!

Hi,:) I am guessing the person you spoke with has no idea if they are

going to run a laundry special or not....that is why probably why

they couldn't tell you.

I think some folks are analyzing this way too much.

Why would a cruise line allocate the space for a self service laundry when they can gouge you for the "low price" of $20 a bag and make you appreciate it? Some folks even described that as a "GREAT DEAL".

Kudos to Princess and Carnival for actually giving their patrons an option.

Hi:), the iron thing? That is a fire hazard. Actually, I am surprised

they have irons availbable on Princess.

Hi Lois

As I recall the irons are in two places.

1) The laundry areas on timers

2) Near the bad children's play pool....;):D

I may be wrong on one of the areas... :p

I think some folks are analyzing this way too much.

Why would a cruise line allocate the space for a self service laundry when they can gouge you for the "low price" of $20 a bag and make you appreciate it? Some folks even described that as a "GREAT DEAL".

Kudos to Princess and Carnival for actually giving their patrons an option.

Yep TOTALLY agree!! I LOVE having the option to "press off a dress shirt" on formal night or wash a quick load of tees/gym clothes/undies/etc. Wine glass in hand and it's never dull 'cuz there's usually fun people doing the same. :)

I'd be annoyed if there were laundromats.

Who wants to see passengers lugging dirty clothes back and forth all day?

I guess that it doesn't take too much to annoy some folks!:rolleyes: Are you also annoyed with room service personnel lugging dirty dishes back and forth all day? And how about those cabin sewards with those pesky carts of cleaning supplies blocking the corridors?

We are booked for an 11 day cruise on the Equinox next winter. We will also be extending our trip for two days before and one day after the cruise in Fort Lauderdale. A self service laundry on the ship would be convenient for us. If others think that $20 for a small bag is such a good deal, use it. I would prefer a self service laundry. I don't like Bingo, but don't have any problems with those who want it on a cruise!;)

I am just going to continue my trend of bringing more clothes than anyone in their right mind would ever need. For me, I like to have choice. I have no idea today what I want to wear on July the 28th or any other day for that matter. I guess it works for me because Hubby is the same. We fly Southwest so we get two bags each (which we will use...haha) and pay for the third (scuba gear). Maybe not the "smartest" way to travel, but it works for us, I have to do NO LAUNDRY, and I get to laugh at myself at everything I didn't wear on the last day of our trip.:p

I guess that it doesn't take too much to annoy some folks!:rolleyes:
Thank you! You're quite right! :)
I don't like Bingo, but don't have any problems with those who want it on a cruise!;)
What if they held the Bingo next door to your cabin — all day, every day? :D

Hope you have a wonderful time on Equinox! :)

Thank you! You're quite right! :)What if they held the Bingo next door to your cabin — all day, every day? :D

I would like to think that I am astute enough to research the ship in advance and not book a cabin next to a Bingo venue!:D

Hope you have a wonderful time on Equinox! :)

I am sure that we shall. I certainly will not let the lack of a self-service laundry annoy me!:)

I wish there were luandry facilities on the ships, but not having them means I don't have to do laundry, we just send it out. Our first cruise was on the QE2, and we were very close to the laundry (maybe 10 feet?), and it never was a problem. Had more of an issue with the florist always parking their cart in front of our door!

Having the option to laundry would be nice for those who want it; without being a bother for those who don't.

Is anyone else annoyed that there are no self-serve facilities on the Equinox?

What with the smaller amounts allowed on flights AND the extra charges for luggage, I wonder why Celebrity has little or no laundramats on board? Princess had laundry on every deck!

Really, who wants to send their underwear out for cleaning? I know "I'm on vacation", but I would really rather just do it myself.

Anyone else want to chime in?

I've been on ships with self-serve facilities and ships without them. Personally, I like having them available, but if they're not on a ship I plan differently. I don't get upset about it; it's just part of my "due diligence" in planning the trip.

I am just going to continue my trend of bringing more clothes than anyone in their right mind would ever need. For me, I like to have choice. I have no idea today what I want to wear on July the 28th or any other day for that matter. I guess it works for me because Hubby is the same. We fly Southwest so we get two bags each (which we will use...haha) and pay for the third (scuba gear). Maybe not the "smartest" way to travel, but it works for us, I have to do NO LAUNDRY, and I get to laugh at myself at everything I didn't wear on the last day of our trip.:p

Hey San Antonio(?) from Port Arthur....

I'm with you. I always overpack; never wear the same nighttime outfit twice, and will wash my clothing if necessary. Prior to gaining elite status I employed the "roll it up to soak out the moisture method." My items were dry the next day. If I do take dirty clothes home, they travel in their own sealed bag.

If a ship has an onboard self-serve laundry, I will use it. If not, I will improvise....:p

Cheryl

I have, however, seen them argue over washers and driers that are there.;)

Is this from personal experience? If it is, then you would count yourself in the group that appreciates self-serve laundry, correct? If I'm not using the laundry, then I'm not near the laundry room.:p

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Is this from personal experience? If it is, then you would count yourself in the group that appreciates self-serve laundry, correct? If I'm not using the laundry, then I'm not near the laundry room.:p

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

This was years ago on a Princess cruise when I was young and foolish.;) I thought I would go to touch up a shirt for my husband and there was a real fight going on because someone had apparently taken the other person's stuff out of the drier. It was the first and last time I went to a self serve laundry room on a ship.

Archived