Door Decorating, do Princess cruisers do it?

rannfar

TACKY??? who cares? It's my well earned vacation and I am proudly hanging a door decoration for me and my friend who has the cabin next to us. We are actually leaving tomorow (YAY) and I never had a door decoration before (4 cruises with Princess) but we have one nowwwww. L0L

Hey - life is short, might as well have a little fun.

:)

Five times I have used a Porthole decal mounted on a rubber coated magnet. Looking at the porthole shows three sea gulls flying over water.

Will do again in Dec. Helps to find the right door to open.

Bob

Frankly other than holiday cruises, I've never seen much decorating of doors and the couple I have seen are usually something like a sign on the door.

If you are interested, Vista print . com offers discount specials on small signs on magetic sheets with nice tropical designs. I think the sign was free and you just had to pay shipping and handling. One idea I saw I really liked was a magnetic sign, not big, maybe 5 by 7 with a tropical design and the first names of the couple in the room. That was pretty and made the door easy to identify. I'm planning on ordering one for my next cruise.

I have come to enjoy decorating our door when I travel with my youngest daughter (now 23 yrs). We have celebrated our birthdays, two graduations, Christmas, and just a Princess Cruise vacation. The theme for our door for our cruise next month is a giant paper flamingo. It is also a good way to document your cruise and create a visual memory.

Frankly other than holiday cruises, I've never seen much decorating of doors and the couple I have seen are usually something like a sign on the door.

If you are interested, Vista print . com offers discount specials on small signs on magetic sheets with nice tropical designs. I think the sign was free and you just had to pay shipping and handling. One idea I saw I really liked was a magnetic sign, not big, maybe 5 by 7 with a tropical design and the first names of the couple in the room. That was pretty and made the door easy to identify. I'm planning on ordering one for my next cruise.

Thanks for the great tip!

We've done it in the past, but on our last couple Princess cruises, we saw very, very few doors decorated in our travels around the ship. Not to say that there weren't more than the ones we noticed, but I can remember years ago, it seemed to be a much more popular on-board activity.

Maybe it's the packing restrictions or maybe the novelty has worn off a bit. We used to enjoy doing it. We'd bring Mardi Gras beads, LSU & Saints logos and pennants, netting with little plastic crawfish & shrimp, etc., and we'd hang them all over the door with double-sided tape. On our Sapphire Princess cruise back in 2006, we even won the prize for best decorated door on our deck! We would give the decorations to our cabin steward as souvenirs when we left.

With the new luggage restrictions and charges, I just don't drag all that stuff with me anymore. :(

We got our magnetic paper on line - usually about 5 sheets in a pack (A4 size). It is thicker than normal paper, but quite flexible. Didn't try it through the printer, but you can stick things to it. I used background paper, as I do for card making and used double sided tape to stick it to the magnetic sheet. You can also use card and buy magnetic strip in a roll which is adhesive on one side. This is available (in UK) from many craft shops and office supplies, so would probably be available at Joannes or Michaels. It can also be used to make fridge magnets. It is quite flexible and you can cut it with scissors or a craft knife, but it is quite strong.

I've brought door decorations for holiday cruises, including last March's cruise that included St. Patrick's Day. There were fewer door decorations on that cruise than on the Christmas ones we've done--but still several.

I don't plan on having anything on our door next week on the Sapphire. We're not celebrating any holidays, although it is Happiness Happens Month and International Beer Day occurs on August 5.

Now there's a holiday worth celebrating! :D

TACKY??? who cares? It's my well earned vacation and I am proudly hanging a door decoration for me and my friend who has the cabin next to us. We are actually leaving tomorow (YAY) and I never had a door decoration before (4 cruises with Princess) but we have one nowwwww. L0L

Exactly.....:D Have a great cruise.....:):):)

Bob

I can post my sign later. I can also post the blank one. I just used a hot melt glue gun to glue four 2x3 magnets (pizza, dental reminders, the ones you get free) to the corners.

Love the positive attitude! Have a fantastic time on your trip!

Well there is Miss Wright's birthday on August 7th....she was my grade 5 teacher some 50 odd years ago... so if you need an excuse to decorate and party, there you go.:D

My daughter's birthday is on the 7th and she's celebrating with an Alice in Wonderland tea party birthday party. It'll also be the first day of my having a teen (oh, lord help me).

Where can you buy "magnetic paper?" Can you draw on or adhere other things to this paper?

If you have a Michaels crafts store, or some other arts and crafts store, they may have small sheets of magnet paper in stock. You can glue paper to it. My hubby has taken foam core that has been decorated (or glue an illustration to the foam core), and that seems to work really well. He had cut out the world map of the ports from a Princess cruise atlas, glued it to foam core, and then glue that to a magnet sheet. It's on the side of our refrigerator.

My daughter's birthday is on the 7th and she's celebrating with an Alice in Wonderland tea party birthday party. It'll also be the first day of my having a teen (oh' date=' lord help me).[/quote']

Congratulations...you have my condolences. You're world will NEVER be the same, either will your nerves!

Archived