Miss you RuthC!

ksc1984

Here's hoping you are having a great trip with wonderful memories you can share with us. I'm hoping the Captain finds you some waves so you'll have a little rocking and rolling on your last two sea days.

Yes, Ms. Ruth is on the Amsterdam sailing its new 14 day itinerary in Alaska. Hoping they are all enjoying this itinerary as much as we did on the May 31st sailing. It was truly a spectacular trip and we hope to do it again sometime! Here's wishing RuthC lots of chocolate, some rockin' and rollin' as they sail toward Kodiak, and lots of good weather!

Yes, Ms. Ruth is on the Amsterdam sailing its new 14 day itinerary in Alaska. Hoping they are all enjoying this itinerary as much as we did on the May 31st sailing. It was truly a spectacular trip and we hope to do it again sometime! Here's wishing RuthC lots of chocolate, some rockin' and rollin' as they sail toward Kodiak, and lots of good weather!

And don't forget a great Piano Bar host!

Why, thank you all! :)

It was a grand time on the Amsterdam. The weather was good to very good, most of the time. The ride across the Gulf of Alaska to Anchorage was a miserable day, with rough seas. :D Many, many people did not make it to the dining room that night. Coming back was smooth, and sunny. I sat outside (in what would be the "reserved" lanai chairs on another ship) a lot. I was frequently the only one out there.

Glacier Bay day was warm and sunny---I got a bad sunburn on my face from spending so many hours aft on Lido Deck. Hubbard Glacier day was as good, but I spent the day on Lower Promenade to stay out of the sun. Lots of calving there. Very nice.

Saw lots of sea otters, sea lions, seals, a few whales. And, oh yes, there was a black bear sitting in the tree right by the salmon grill at Taku Glacier lodge. Neat! :)

The service was beyond reproach, and the entertainment good. I loved my hours in the Piano Lounge, and spent some pre-dinner time in the Ocean Bar. I was well-entertained in both places. This was an especially good trio of Neptunes, and Diane Fast in the Piano Lounge is as good as HAL has had in a long time. Stephanie Johnson played guitar in the Crow's Nest late afternoon to early evening. I never heard a melody line in anything she played. It was soft, background music, and not worth making a special trip to hear.

My only question is why did the entertainment have to start, and end, so early? The Piano Lounge went from 7:30-11:30. I remember the days when the Piano Bar didn't even start until 11:00 PM!

Depending on the venue, "Happy Hour" started as early as 3:30. :eek:

Is HAL trying to get everyone to go to bed early????? :confused:

This is a great itinerary; much better than just a week, if you can afford the time. Homer was just as nice as I remembered, and I loved the visit to Kodiak Island.

I had a wonderful cruise, But I am glad to be home. I think. :p

...next up, Bermuda?

Yup. :D And then New Zealand. And then Australia. And then ....

Thanks for the "Welcome Home" folks. There were a few times aboard when I was tempted to sign on to Cruise Critic. I resisted, and ordered another hot chocolate. ;)

I'm hoping the Captain finds you some waves so you'll have a little rocking and rolling

Yup. :D And then New Zealand. And then Australia. And then ....

Thanks for the "Welcome Home" folks. There were a few times aboard when I was tempted to sign on to Cruise Critic. I resisted, and ordered another hot chocolate. ;)

Dearest Ruth,

Glad you got that smiley up there for the rough seas. Alaska rarely disappoints :D

And as always, you keep your priorities in Chocolate Colored order :cool:

Welcome home, and as ever, my offer to be your official Baggage Handler and Chocolate Inspector still stands ;) ;)

r.

PS: Soon you will be posting on all the usual threads and the world will be back in "synch".

Archived