Prepare for the Bed Bugs on Carnival Inspiration

Carnival introduces yet another character in the same spirit as Funship Freddy, here comes Carnival's Bedtime Bed Bug Buddy who can be purchased in the gift shop onboard. As an added treat, your room steward will be making towel versions of them very soon!

bug_bed_bug.jpg

OMG- too funny! I would love to see one of those on my bed wearing my sunglasses!:D

Alright you all...no joke...I was on the Dream on 11/6, then stayed 1 night in Cocoa Beach and jumped on the Sensation. The Dream was great...After the 2nd night on the Sensation, I began scrathing, but figured that I got bitten by something at the beach in Freeport. I began itching more, but just "poo-pooed" it. I now have bites all over my stomach, chest and neck area. I was at the Drs office yesterday for something unrelated and showed him these bites. He asked me if I had slept in a hotel and I said yes, but was then on a cruise ship. He didn't think anything of it. He gave me a strong antihistimine for the itching and if it doesn't get better, we'll go a different route.

Now after reading this thread I looked up what bed bug bites look like and they're exactly what I've got from the waist up. CRAP:mad:

I certainly didn't have these bites before I left, but for obvious reasons, can't pinpoint where they may have come from. Guess I'll be going home and checking my bed.

Happy Thanksgiving:)

The cartoons are great!!!

I wish that when Carnivals guest services received my bedbug complaint, guest services would have dealt with it promptly and effectively (by calling in experienced pest controllers, treating adjacent rooms, and helped me and my girlfriend make sure our belongings were properly treated before returning home, that would have been great.

I believe it's very important to publicize the extent of the bedbug problem afflicting ships, and the fact that you can really come across them anywhere. So I encourage management and guests to write about the positive and negative outcomes.

For what it's worth, in my future travels I would much prefer to stay in a ship that I knew had a sound bedbug policy, Eco friendly products avalaible and trained staff that dealt with complaints promptly, then take my chances in a place where they tell you to contact the 800 number in miami.

It seem like we're approaching the point where there won't be such a thing as a ship that's never had a bedbug encounter.

Take precautions.......

Happy Thanksgiving

For what it's worth, in my future travels I would much prefer to stay in a ship that I knew had a sound bedbug policy, Eco friendly products avalaible and trained staff that dealt with complaints promptly

Happy Thanksgiving

Have you found any cruise lines with a bed bug policy in your searches?

Alright you all...no joke...I was on the Dream on 11/6, then stayed 1 night in Cocoa Beach and jumped on the Sensation. The Dream was great...After the 2nd night on the Sensation, I began scrathing, but figured that I got bitten by something at the beach in Freeport. I began itching more, but just "poo-pooed" it. I now have bites all over my stomach, chest and neck area. I was at the Drs office yesterday for something unrelated and showed him these bites. He asked me if I had slept in a hotel and I said yes, but was then on a cruise ship. He didn't think anything of it. He gave me a strong antihistimine for the itching and if it doesn't get better, we'll go a different route.

Now after reading this thread I looked up what bed bug bites look like and they're exactly what I've got from the waist up. CRAP:mad:

I certainly didn't have these bites before I left, but for obvious reasons, can't pinpoint where they may have come from. Guess I'll be going home and checking my bed.

Happy Thanksgiving:)

Get a lawyer and sue the hotel and carnival I hear it is the latest rage, Everybody is doing it.

If you have a concern about bedbugs, you can get a permethrin spray to treat your luggage at any drug store, or order it online. I'm not sure why you expect Carnival to treat your luggage, when you can easily do this before you leave for your vacation. Bed bugs can be tranfered to your luggage at any point in your vacation. The most likely place and time, is when your luggage is packed closely with other luggage in the cargo hold of the plane, or when it's being loaded onto the ship.

Anyone concerned should treat their luggage before they leave their house. This is the only place where it can effectively be treated. If you treat at the end of the cruise, you can still bring eggs back, etc.

Since the only logical place for the luggage to be treated is at your house, before you leave on vacation, and since Carnival cannot come to your house to treat your luggage, the only logical thing to do is to treat your luggage yourself before you pack. It's simple and inexpensive.

Hmm I didn't think about transferring in the cargo of the plane or while being loaded.

It's funny that the OP was so irate to jump all over the cruise line to do all the "cleaning and exterminating". For all we know the passenger could have brought the found bedbug on board. She did say her clothes were in the same closet as that robe all week. What's to stop the cruise line from charging the passenger to exterminate the cabin? After all bed bugs have to be brought on board before they are sent off the ship.

For 100% natural relief...

Predators

Natural enemies of bedbugs include the masked hunter (also known as "masked bedbug hunter"),[46] cockroaches,[47] ants, spiders (particularly Thanatus flavidus), mites, and centipedes. The Pharaoh ant's (Monomorium pharaonis) venom is lethal to bedbugs.

COCKROACHES?!?:eek:

This morning I applied the second Bed Bug treatments to our homes and vechiles with NO traces or findings of any other bed bugs.

Apparently the eggs mature from 4 weeks to several months depending on the conditions.

Ill wait a few more weeks to make sure there are no bugs in our homes or vechiles before i take any further actions with carnival about the Time, inconvience, out of pocket expenses and bed bug bites on my scalp.

I leave Dec 11th out of tampa on Royal and will take precautions for bed bugs.

The Bed bugs entire survival strategy is built around hiding from us, you're never going to get a chance to apply anything directly unless you already have a terrible infestation.

Right now, there is no product on the market that can kill bed bugs and their eggs where they hide.

Remember that before you waste any money buying sprays or other treatments that suggest otherwise.

It's amazing to me that we are more afraid of bugs than we are the toxic chemicals we use to get rid of them!:eek:

pat

When I get bit by anything it is bad. My skin reacts weird and I end up with lots of red big wounds on me. I do not heal well and have been tested for everything it is just something about me. The chemical are much better. I get bites or cuts and they take about 6m to heal and often leave scars. I go to dr and they have no idea what is wrong and why my skin is so bad. And call in other Dr to look and biopsy's and then some. So for me the chemicals to prevent are better than the bites themselves. Although I have never had bed bug I am so sensitive that my mattress and box spring are covered. I was sheets and bedclothes in hot water. I change my sheets weekly. Although I do have a throw rug, my floors are hard wood.

OP did you get your boxspring and mattress a allergen/ bedbug protective covering to help prevent and also to stop growth of bugs. Are you washing everything in hot water? Did you pull up your rugs?

We had a extermination company come out and treat our homes luggage and cars with an eco friendly product, then he suggested we wash everything with the hottest water and hottest drying settings, today I did the second treatment to our homes and cars with eco friendly products we purchased from them, so far so good, no visual bed bugs, we did have a scare when my girlfriend found a border beetle in her house, I sent the picture to the bug guy and he said it looks similar to bed bug but is not,wheeewww.

We didn’t pull the rugs but they have been treated twice now.

I saw a post on this site where someone mentioned dead bugs in their purse, i mentioned it to my girlfriend and she said that she totally forgot to inspect her purse for bugs, its been taken care of now.

There were clothes we had that could not be washed or dried in high heat that we treated and sent out to be dry cleaned.

As far as bites, I didn’t even know i had a bite on my scalp until my girlfriend inspected my whole body and found them.

REMEMBER YOUR PURSES GIRLS....

Just my opinion but I have to agree with the majority of the respondents to this thread. I believe that the OP went off half-cocked on this issue.

Yeah, I believe that he had "A" bug as pictured.

No, I can't say that it is anything that can be determined from the pictures.

Yes, I do believe that he is either getting carried away with the hype about Bedbugs and is either trying to capitalize on it with this story or at least, he is adding to the hype.

Above all, if anyone is to fault in the whole case, it is the television station who ran with this story. It is a nice, juicy, timley story without any conclusions or scientific research to come to a conclusion as to the identity of the "bug". I am sure that they were hoping to be able to say that they had proof that all cruise ships are infested with the creatures.

It is very similar to the reporters who covered the story about the Carnival Splendor two weeks ago. They were asking Pax who were disembarking "What was the worse thing that happened to you". When some responded that they were treated very well, the reporters moved on to the next person looking for the horror stories instead. They did not want to report the good news. That was not the story they went to the pier to get.

One last thing, the cruise lines would not have brought any bugs on board. Blame the previous pax if anyone. But given the attention to the rooms and linens that I have encountered on all of our cruises, I cannot see how any real infestation could go undetected for very long by the stewards.

Just my opinon.

-Jim

It is back to a single bedbug does not make an infestation. That the OP claims to have had houses, cars, luggage, etc treated without a trace of a single bedbug was an overreaction and to continue "treatments" with an ineffective product is beyond absurd and further waste of funds, but not my (or Carnival's) problem.

It will be interesting to see how the Royal cruise goes - if the OP will ask Royal to pre and post-treat their luggage, houses, etc. Of course, once the OP goes on another cruise, or a Motel-6 or really anywhere else, it will be impossible to blame Carnival for anything.

The OP has stated no bedbugs have been found anywhere. If they start popping up after the Royal cruise, we will know who to blame.

We had a extermination company come out and treat our homes luggage and cars with an eco friendly product, then he suggested we wash everything with the hottest water and hottest drying settings, today I did the second treatment to our homes and cars with eco friendly products we purchased from them, so far so good, no visual bed bugs....

Of course you have found no VISUAL bed bugs because yours have apparently been totally imaginative.

We had a extermination company come out and treat our homes luggage and cars with an eco friendly product, then he suggested we wash everything with the hottest water and hottest drying settings, today I did the second treatment to our homes and cars with eco friendly products we purchased from them, so far so good, no visual bed bugs, we did have a scare when my girlfriend found a border beetle in her house, I sent the picture to the bug guy and he said it looks similar to bed bug but is not,wheeewww.

Since you said earlier, correctly, that there is no product you can buy to self treat, why would any pest control company sell you a product that isn't available to buy elsewhere? I would think they would be taking a chance with their license by selling a product that I am sure a license was required to purchase and apply.

The cartoons are great!!!

I wish that when Carnivals guest services received my bedbug complaint, guest services would have dealt with it promptly and effectively (by calling in experienced pest controllers, treating adjacent rooms, and helped me and my girlfriend make sure our belongings were properly treated before returning home, that would have been great.

I believe it's very important to publicize the extent of the bedbug problem afflicting ships, and the fact that you can really come across them anywhere. So I encourage management and guests to write about the positive and negative outcomes.

For what it's worth, in my future travels I would much prefer to stay in a ship that I knew had a sound bedbug policy, Eco friendly products avalaible and trained staff that dealt with complaints promptly, then take my chances in a place where they tell you to contact the 800 number in miami.

It seem like we're approaching the point where there won't be such a thing as a ship that's never had a bedbug encounter.

Take precautions.......

Happy Thanksgiving

My goodness, with all the jokes and doubts, you remain pretty serious about this! That's amazingly serious, I must say. How do you just ignore the raw facts about your "supposed" infestation? I think it's time you found some other cause....really... How about the fact that no WMD were ever found in Iraq? Huh? What about that?:rolleyes:

Archived