Do you use you cell phone?

Havingfun2010

Do you use your cell phone on a cruise?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your cell phone on a cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes - For family related reasons
    • Yes - because I can not live without it

Yes--data stays off for the cruise, but since it costs the same for 1 as it does for 2 now, I take my mom with me. My dad's got some health issues, so we use my cell phone when in ports so she can call and check in on him. When I was cruising solo, the cell stayed off.

When we go on vacation we let everyone know we are on vacation and do not call. Vacation to us means getting away.If we are on vacation a week or more we do make one or two calls home to check on things. But we always add international just in case. Funny though, in everyday life we are so connected. We have 2 portable wifi hotspots in case we are at a place without wifi. Also we have ipad with 3g. We lost power for a little bit with snow the other day, and we used our portable wifi and never was without internet. He even worked from home. We have 8 hours of portable wifi.

I always call the kids when we first get on board, all adults now. Last cruise to Europe I used the computer time on the ship (early mornings was cheap) a few time to check in and make sure the grandkids were all good.

I am an only child and I have an elderly mom who is not in great health. I always call her when I get into port. I don't have to...but I want to.

Otherwise absolutely not!!! DH is a doctor and one reason we LOVE cruising......not once have we ever cruised with a patient of his. Every other vacation...from skiing to WDW--we always see patients. He loves his patients but like to get away once in a while. :)

Use it for texting only with the people taking care of our pets and house while we are gone. 5 cents for incoming texts and 50 cents for outgoing texts (we have Sprint). Won't use it for phone calls. Still too expensive at $2.99 per minute on the ship and $1.99 a minute off the ship in the ports.

We tell everyone if there is something important to text us only...no phone calls!!

yes,

We bought a separate international pre-paid as you go cel phone.

we start using it as soon as it the ship departs.

Been on 11 cruises and the only place it has not worked is Roatan, Honduras.

just load it before we go.

We use it to keep up with our parents when we are on vacation.

We turn one on for a short period each day, just in case (elderly parents at home). And, about half way through the cruise, we call my MIL. My DH is an only child, and his mom has no other family, so we call her just to make her smile. She never lets us talk more than three or four minutes, anyway, because she knows how expensive it is.

I take a photo of us eating our first meal and drinking our first DOD and I text it to close friends and family. We like to rub it in! I also may make a quick call to check on the kids as the ship is setting off(if they aren't with us). I call from a port to check on them as well (we only do short cruises without the kids and so far it's been to the Bahamas).

I also work for a wireless company. Phone goes off when the ship pulls away... Although I did turn it on in Puerto Rico on the last cruise just to see how well coverage was (worked well). Phone goes back on when we are back.

No Way! Well also cuz I'm from Canada and don't have a 'plan' that I can use. I will call home from miami and when back in port at the end of the cruise, but basically keep in contact via email as required. Cell phone stays in the safe!!

I call home and tell my kids when I am leaving port to tell them my phone will be off. The only exceptions were when I was in Key West and it was free so I called work to rub it in. :D And when DD was 9 mo pregnant, I called her from Roatan and Cozumel to make sure she had not gone into labor.:eek: Added about 2 bucks to my phone bill. Other than that I leave my phone off for the entire cruise.

We take the kids phones away or even better make them leave them at home. Then ours go off and stored shortly after sail away and come back on when we wake up back in port.

We also have never used the internet on board. Maybe we are just not that important of people.

I do see the reason to stay in contact for some people. We have so far only traveled w/ our kids and as long as we are all together things can wait 5-7 days. I dont mean to sound like a jerk by saying that either.

If we sailed w/o the kids or on longer cruises things might change. Of if we knew something was not well before we left we would call and check in I'm sure.

Archived