Indepenence to homeport in the US again

I just got word from a close friend who was at a dinner with

John Weis (Assc. VP) that the Independence will homeporting in the United States year round after her last listed voyage out of Southampton. Options include Galveston and a year round 6/8 night rotation out of Fort Lauderdale.

Here we go again.....A FRIEND...why do they always start this way.... :eek:

And why Ft. Lauderdale.....they already have upwards of 13000 passengers that have to sail on the 2 BIG ships every weekend.....not sure if we should thank you for this info :(

Mike

I have to question this rumor for one reason. RCCL is not giving the Independence the same enhancements as her sisters with the reason being (including that she is newer) that she sails in Europe and they do not have enough data yet to properly develop a plan for applying the Oasis enhancements to the European culture. That is the reason that was given in the press release and their is no reason to doubt it unless the real reason is that she will get her enhancements in spring 2012 when she moves to the US market. Both seem to be believable reasons so I'm really not sure which to go with, but since RCCL said the one I'm kind of leaning that way.

John Weis (Assc. VP) that the Independence will homeporting in the United States year round after her last listed voyage out of Southampton. Options include Galveston and a year round 6/8 night rotation out of Fort Lauderdale.

So if Galveston, would the Independence replace the Voyager Class ship which sails during the winter and returns to the Med in the spring? Or be an addition to that Voyager Class ship (currently Voyager of the Seas, soon to be Mariner)?

Just wondering, because Carnival just announced a newer, bigger ship being ported out of Galveston.

Makes perfect sense to rotate the Independence back to Florida so it can get the same upgrades at RCCL's low priced drydock. I would not be surprised if RCCLs experiment to go to the Med out of Southhampton is over. A lot more copetition in the Med since RCCL started the experimant. I will also suggest that the 14 night trip to the Med is not the best itinerary. The four days in the Atlantic getting to and from the Med are usually cold, a little rough and not much fun.

Did this dinner take place in the US..in FL ?

I have to question this rumor for one reason. RCCL is not giving the Independence the same enhancements as her sisters with the reason being (including that she is newer) that she sails in Europe and they do not have enough data yet to properly develop a plan for applying the Oasis enhancements to the European culture. That is the reason that was given in the press release and their is no reason to doubt it unless the real reason is that she will get her enhancements in spring 2012 when she moves to the US market. Both seem to be believable reasons so I'm really not sure which to go with, but since RCCL said the one I'm kind of leaning that way.

don't think that's quite true as liberty has had these upgrades and she will be based in med for the summer

Makes perfect sense to rotate the Independence back to Florida so it can get the same upgrades at RCCL's low priced drydock. I would not be surprised if RCCLs experiment to go to the Med out of Southhampton is over. A lot more copetition in the Med since RCCL started the experimant. I will also suggest that the 14 night trip to the Med is not the best itinerary. The four days in the Atlantic getting to and from the Med are usually cold, a little rough and not much fun.

If it was an "experiment" then the conclusion will be that it's wildly successful. Many, many people in the UK LOVE the fact that you can just get on the ship at Southampton... us included! And even the winter trips this Jan/Feb have been fully booked up - these are not unpopular cruises by any stretch of the imagination.

If Indy is pulled away, then we will have a replacement for sure.

Did the close friend indicate what would replace Indy, its very popular over here. Can't see Royal Caribbean withdrawing from this market, perhaps we will get Oasis, that would be cool!

I understand that Eclipse and Indy cruises for 2012 UK season will be out at the end of next month! We shall see...

Richard

If Indy gets pulled out of Southampton I highly hope that RCCL will replace her with another ship as I and many UK cruisers love her. We are stuck here in the UK for good ships, I am 20something (not going to say exactly) but i have tried the likes of P&O and it was not to my taste. If Indy went and was not replaced we would be stuck here in the UK with the likes of Cunard, P&O and Princess cruises. We would also then have to wait for the re-deployment in the summer for all the ships to come to Europe and such, which would get very fully booked very quickly, not fair to us really.

But here's hoping that RCCL look at the cruise market in the UK and see how loyal we are to them

CK x

So if Galveston, would the Independence replace the Voyager Class ship which sails during the winter and returns to the Med in the spring? Or be an addition to that Voyager Class ship (currently Voyager of the Seas, soon to be Mariner)?

Just wondering, because Carnival just announced a newer, bigger ship being ported out of Galveston.

Im up for that........ But I dont think they would have 2 ships here even thou Carnival does

Maybe the Indy would replace the Mariner in Nov 2012 ?? They dont have that schedule out yet

Did the close friend indicate what would replace Indy, its very popular over here. Can't see Royal Caribbean withdrawing from this market, perhaps we will get Oasis, that would be cool!

IF this is going happen-that was my first thought.

If it is a popular cruise port that leaves full all the time-a bigger ship is what they might do.

Hence why a Freedom class is repalcing Explorer in Jersey.

I guess we have to wait and see, we have been disappointed many times when this type of rumor indicates a year round ship is coming to Galveston:(

There are a lot of us that do not wish to sail on Carnival, and the added cost of airfare (which is now starting to go even higher) makes the 7 day vacation quite a bit more expensive. If it goes to Ft. Lauderdale a longer itinerary would be nice so we could see other islands such as Aruba and Curacoa without having to fly to San Juan. Are you listening RCCL?

As the Bearded ladies and Cruise Kitten said, there are lots of us, over here in the UK, who love Indy and would not want to see her leave unless she was replaced by Oasis or Allure.

I was talking to the Loyalty Manager on Adventure last November and he was telling me that the European market was now worth more to RCI than the USA market. Not sure he wasn't just blowing smoke up me, but I can imagine that is somewhere near the truth as RCI cruises in the UK do seem to pretty full.

John.

Archived