Have you attended a celebrity wine or liquor tasting?

rotaryscotty

I've haven't seen much on Celebrity threads about tastings aboard ships.

I'm not talking about the ones in the sales shops. I'm talking about a formal wine tasting, or scotch tasting. I've been on ships that charge $10 or $20 per person to attend an educational tasting.

And that brings to mind another question: For example, if you have a Premium Liquor Package would you have to pay for a tasting of wine or scotches that fall into the under $12 range?

I can see a tasting of say Macallan 18 year that's price above the $12 ceiling of the package. But if they're below that level it would almost be silly to pay additional money after you've already paid $56/day.

I attended some tastings at the Molecular Bar on Equinox. Each night they had a different tasting - i.e. martini tasting one night, champagne cocktails one night, vodka tasting another night etc. I have also done a wine tasting event where they featured wines from six different countries; each country had it's own station spread out between the wine bar, martini bar and vodka bar (all are near one another and on the same deck). There was some nice tapas style food served as well. I do not think that drink packages cover these tastings, but am not 100% sure.

We did a wine tasting on Equinox - I can't remember what it was called, something like "Around the World" wine tasting. It was $20 and featured 12 wines, two from each of 6 different regions. It was an interesting event and well worth the $20, I thought. They served cheese and some canapes, and were pretty generous with their pours. You could go back and re-taste your favorites as many times as you liked, too. We didn't have a package but I don't believe this would have been covered.

I experienced 3 of the 4 tastings offered on our 14 nite Baltic voyage. Each was worth the fee IMHO. Since DH no longer imbibes, I solicited fellow wine lovers via Roll Call and was joined by several CCr's who attended solo plus some couples. Each offering was educational and fun, although the pours weren't always as generous as at the Walk around the World tasting. The champagne sabering presentation invited audience participation and one of our group was selected!

Edited by TMLAalum

I have not been recently but yes, I have been to wine tastings, wine

blendings and wine pairings over the years. Oh yes, I have also been

to the "Walk around the World" tasting and I agree, that was alot of

fun:)

On Eclipse, Select Captain's Club members were invited to a free wine tasting with 2 whites, 2 reds lead by cellarmaster from Hungary on first sea day. He was very good answering many questions about how wines are selected for each restaurant, tips on purchasing in stores, etc. Different selection each week.

There was the Around the World Tasting, whiskey tastings in Michael's, Molecular Mixology, Sabering at Sea..no shortage of wine tastings, some with fees, some without.

Went to Capt. Club wine tastings on the Century, Summit and the Eclipse. As an elite experienced the chardonny blending tasting which was fun. All wine tastings were enjoyable. Went to 2 eclipse tastings as a select capt. club member. One in Jan. and one in Feb. Same sommelier however he featured different wines and gave totaLLY different info.

When they first started the Elite Lounge, they had a white and red wine tasting every afternoon. That was nice. They also had a tasting of an example of a selection from one of the specialty restaurants, that was also nice.

I posted this on the beer tasting thread, but it would be more appropriately posted to this thread.

"They had a supreme wine tasting on Summit last summer for $40 where they set up $100-130 bottles of wine to taste for about an hour or so. I signed up because I always wondered what an expensive wine would taste like. They had one champagne, a couple of whites, and about 4-5 reds. What a disappointment it would have been if I were to order one of those expensive bottles of wine for dinner. They were not that good at all. They had one Super Tuscan that I thought was excellent, but the rest of the "expensive" wines were not to my liking at all. I've tasted better $20-30 wines."

I have to agree with others that the "Around the World" wine tasting from 6 regions was well worth the $20.

We did one at Cellar Masters on Solstice during a Mediterranean cruise last year. We were 3 couples and we had a great time.

There were about 6 or 7 Countries represented and about a dozen wines. Each Country had a sommelier (or server) which described the wines and gave information. They gave us a "score" sheet to mark your impressions of the wines your were tasting. It was interesting to note that the score sheets had all sorts of numbers and profound statements for the first 5 or 6 wines and then the comments resorted to just happy faces LOL.

It was a fun afternoon (we made it last that long LOL).

We did one at Cellar Masters on Solstice during a Mediterranean cruise last year. We were 3 couples and we had a great time.

There were about 6 or 7 Countries represented and about a dozen wines. Each Country had a sommelier (or server) which described the wines and gave information. They gave us a "score" sheet to mark your impressions of the wines your were tasting. It was interesting to note that the score sheets had all sorts of numbers and profound statements for the first 5 or 6 wines and then the comments resorted to just happy faces LOL.

It was a fun afternoon (we made it last that long LOL).

Pete- Do you remember how much they charged for the Cellar Masters tasting?

Wine-O- I know exactly what you are saying. Having taught many wine classes over the years I tell people never to judge wines by price. Wine is one of the few commodities that has a price based simply on "what will the market pay" rather the cost of production, or proven quality.:rolleyes:I prided myself on finding wines for my customers that were of high quality in relation to their price whether it be $10/bottle, or $30/bottle. I can find plenty of $100 winners (and losers), there's no excitement in that.:rolleyes:

I've asked about the Celebrity tastings to determine if they are worth it, even if you already have a premium liquor/wine package. The interaction of a good tasting is worth it. I actually was embarassed at a wine tasting on a Carnival cruise as I heard the "trainer" giving misinformation to 50 people.:(

Thanks to everyone who has already responded on this thread.:)

We attended a Captain's Club wine tasting on the Solstice, offered to us at no charge. We were served two reds and two whites. The wines were good examples of the varieties, and were nicely presented. However, the sommelier spent (in my not so humble opinion) much too much time talking about the wine. I believe that it is appropriate to spend two to four minutes discussing the aromas and flavors that the presenter experiences, and to discuss food pairings. More than that, I feel that the presenter just loves the sound of his own voice.

I was taught that only a very few can captivate an audience for longer than 20 minutes. For the rest of us, say what you need to say, and shut up!

We did a wine and food tasting/pairing on our first Century cruise. It was very informative. Surprising the difference between good match ups! Now, if only I could remember any of it...

Sara

LOL....Sara, too funny:D just remember when you take the next sip....

If you like the way it tastes that is all that matters:);). I never

cared for Pinot Noir until recently and just had my first Malbec

and really enjoyed it! Not as full bodied as a cab and very smooth.

I see you are going on Century next week....please post a review

when you get back~I am sailing her in May:)

Edited by Lois R

However, the sommelier spent (in my not so humble opinion) much too much time talking about the wine. I believe that it is appropriate to spend two to four minutes discussing the aromas and flavors that the presenter experiences, and to discuss food pairings. More than that, I feel that the presenter just loves the sound of his own voice.

I was taught that only a very few can captivate an audience for longer than 20 minutes. For the rest of us, say what you need to say, and shut up!

You are so right, Jim. Years ago I used to bring in a rep from the wineries to do wine tastings for my customers. When they started talking "residual sugar" I would see eyes glaze over. That's when I decided I could do better wine tastings than the "professionals".

In public speaking of all kinds I've learned one rule: "THE MIND CAN ONLY ABSORB WHAT THE REAR END CAN ENDURE.":rolleyes:

Pete- Do you remember how much they charged for the Cellar Masters tasting?

Wine-O- I know exactly what you are saying. Having taught many wine classes over the years I tell people never to judge wines by price. Wine is one of the few commodities that has a price based simply on "what will the market pay" rather the cost of production, or proven quality.:rolleyes:I prided myself on finding wines for my customers that were of high quality in relation to their price whether it be $10/bottle, or $30/bottle. I can find plenty of $100 winners (and losers), there's no excitement in that.:rolleyes:

I've asked about the Celebrity tastings to determine if they are worth it, even if you already have a premium liquor/wine package. The interaction of a good tasting is worth it. I actually was embarassed at a wine tasting on a Carnival cruise as I heard the "trainer" giving misinformation to 50 people.:(

Thanks to everyone who has already responded on this thread.:)

I believe that it cost something like $42 or $47 per person. (we are very certain we got our moneys worth LOL).

In retrospect, it was more a "do it yourself" guzzle as opposed to a guided tasting by a sommelier. There were full descriptions and vinyard history if you chose to stand and listen. It was an afternoon interlude and we enjoyed ourselves. :)

These were the wine events offered on our last Celebrity Cruise a few months ago:

Wine Appreciation 101 - $10

Wine Tasting with Jazz on the Lawn Club - wine available for purchase by the glass

Art of Food & Wine Pairing - $15

Connoisseur Cheese & Wine Pairing - $15

Walk Around the World - $20 (our favorite!)

Premium Wine Tasting - $40

Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop - $87 (included four Riedel Stemware - outstanding wine tasting seminar!)

Murano Wine Pairing Dinner $100

Edited by wineluvr

These were the wine events offered on our last Celebrity Cruise a few months ago:

Wine Tasting with Jazz on the Lawn Club - wine available for purchase by the glass

Riedel Comparative Wine Workshop - $87 (included four Riedel Stemware - outstanding wine tasting seminar!)

Very interesting...thanks for the list. How long was your cruise? We are on the Eclipse in April for a 14 day TA cruise. When did you find out about the Murano Wine Pairing Dinner. Did you go? If so, how was it?? As I give wine classes and wife is a caterer we like to compare.

Very interesting...thanks for the list. How long was your cruise? We are on the Eclipse in April for a 14 day TA cruise. When did you find out about the Murano Wine Pairing Dinner. Did you go? If so, how was it?? As I give wine classes and wife is a caterer we like to compare.

The Murano wine paring dinner is a standard on their menu. We've gone several times. The last time we did not care for either of the main courses and were told we could order something else from the menu. What they did not tell us was that the wine choice could not be changed/paired with what we ordered. That was a big disappointment as the wine did not pair well at all with our entree.

We've done most of the other offerings over the years and enjoyed them all. Our last cruise was two 7 days b2b on an S class ship and most of the items posted by wineluvr were offered. We also enjoyed the Premium Wine Tasting and Walk Around the World tasting.

Mary Lou

The Murano wine paring dinner is a standard on their menu. We've gone several times. The last time we did not care for either of the main courses and were told we could order something else from the menu. What they did not tell us was that the wine choice could not be changed/paired with what we ordered. That was a big disappointment as the wine did not pair well at all with our entree.

We've done most of the other offerings over the years and enjoyed them all. Our last cruise was two 7 days b2b on an S class ship and most of the items posted by wineluvr were offered. We also enjoyed the Premium Wine Tasting and Walk Around the World tasting.

Mary Lou

Thanks, Mary Lou....good information.

If you've ever doubted that the right glass makes a difference, do this tasting....

I second Jborosara's opinion on this tasting. In fact we've done it twice. Absolutely no smoke or mirrors when tasting the appropriate varietal in the appropriate glass. Amazing. The cost is well worth it since you can take home the 4 different Riedel glasses (or have them shipped home) at a cheaper cost than actually buying them say at Macy's.

2MC

I usually attend the wine tasting on board; our last two cruises it was $20 for as many sample as you could drink in an hour of 12 different wines (6 red, 6 white). I also often attend the whiskey tastings (Scotch, bourbon, rye, Irish whiskey) in Michael's Club, which can be either $10 or $15 for four generous samples. I think they are a great way to try new libations, and I think are very reasonably priced for the quantity/quality you get.