How are the libraries on HAL?

Mediana

After three cruises on RCL I was pleasantly surprised by the library on Grand Princess. It had everything I needed and I ended up using it daily. I'm now wondering how the libraries on HAL are. I'm specially thinking of Rotterdam. Anyone who can give a comparison? How about Veendam?

Libraries on HAL are exceptional - I have been on both the Veendam and Rotterdam, and excellent abundance of reading material....I believe it was when we were on the Veendam that I had forgotten to pack "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown for hubby to read....went to the new fiction area and could not find it - so I asked the "librarian" and she went to a cupboard (locked) under the current bestsellers and produced 6 of them!! She said they keep one on the shelf, and put multiple copies underneath - She told me that any book I do not see, to ask her and she would check her inventory on the computer.

But I know Princess and Celeb and most recently was on Ryndam (a sister ship of Volendam and probably somewhat like Amsterdam) and I thought Ryndam's library was "the Best" I've seen afloat. I'm not particularly loyal to any line either.

Ryndam's library was really nicely integrated in a linear manner along one side of the ship(rather than just a walled in room like many ships). It was heavily and diversely stocked - the real deal, rather than jusy a cast off room or cyber cafe. I don't recollect it being so well done on my one Vista Class cruise (Westerdam; got a bit of a mental blank about that cruise and ship) but it was really a great lay out on the S class Ryndam (with a mocha kiosk adjacent/incorporated).

Love the HAL libraries. I always discover a new author or two, and there are more books than they can shelve, stored away in undershelf cupboards. Just ask, and if you discover a new author that you enjoy, ask what else they have by that author.

The stocks are replenished regularly; more often than at drydock. I was on the Oosterdam in October 2010 and then in March 2011 and there were new titles added just in that short time.

And there's an actual librarian; not just whoever has time to do it that day. The librarian is part of the CD's staff.

Our favorite part of the ship and one of HAL's best signature qualities, especially the ones kept in the right location and not moved up to share the Crows Nest, but those are pretty good too.:p

But I know Princess and Celeb and most recently was on Ryndam (a sister ship of Volendam and probably somewhat like Amsterdam) and I thought Ryndam's library was "the Best" I've seen afloat. Ryndam's library was really nicely integrated in a linear manner along one side of the ship ...
The S-class Ryndam is smaller than the R-class Volendam, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Zaandam, but their Explorations Cafes are all very similar in size, lay-out, and content.

I don't recollect it being so well done on my one Vista Class cruise (Westerdam; got a bit of a mental blank about that cruise and ship) ...

If you were on the Westerdam since Spring 2007, the Explorations Cafe/Library was (and is now) up on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest.

But I know Princess and Celeb and most recently was on Ryndam (a sister ship of Volendam and probably somewhat like Amsterdam) and I thought Ryndam's library was "the Best" I've seen afloat. I'm not particularly loyal to any line either.

Ryndam's library was really nicely integrated in a linear manner along one side of the ship(rather than just a walled in room like many ships). It was heavily and diversely stocked - the real deal, rather than jusy a cast off room or cyber cafe. I don't recollect it being so well done on my one Vista Class cruise (Westerdam; got a bit of a mental blank about that cruise and ship) but it was really a great lay out on the S class Ryndam (with a mocha kiosk adjacent/incorporated).

actually the ryndam belongs to the 's' class ships and she is a sister ship to the statendam, veendam and maasdam -- the library is located on the upper promenade deck and is part of the explorations cafe along with the internet cafe -- all on the port side of the ship

on the westerdam the explorations cafe, library and internet cafe are located in the crows nest on the starboard side of the ship

all have excellent libraries

I saw a number of board games when we were on the N. Amsterdam in Feb. Are you allowed to check out the games? Or must you play them in the library? I would assume that some of them would be pretty loud (like Pictionary) and wouldn't be fun for others in the library to listen to a group playing.

I saw a number of board games when we were on the N. Amsterdam in Feb. Are you allowed to check out the games? Or must you play them in the library? I would assume that some of them would be pretty loud (like Pictionary) and wouldn't be fun for others in the library to listen to a group playing.

Don't worry about noise if you are on the Westerdam since the library,cafe and internet stations are all together in the crows nest. At times there are some noisy activities going on all around you so I don't remember it has a quiet retreat.

Can anyone tell me if HAL have a shelf for donationed books? Our last cruise on Royal Carribean did, and I was able to leave behind # of pounds of books before I flew home.

definitely - you can even exchange books if you drop one off :)

And for the op, it's one of the nice things about HAL - extraordinary libraries - a wide variety - I am quite fussy on my authors - imagine my delight when I found one of my favourite authors there with a book I had not read :D just a joy and another reason we love HAL :)

IMO - at least the ships I have been on - the best libraries at sea :)

Can anyone tell me if HAL have a shelf for donationed books? Our last cruise on Royal Carribean did, and I was able to leave behind # of pounds of books before I flew home.

The last day on our recent Noordam cruise, I went to the Explorations Cafe with books I had finished (paperbacks) and the crew person working the desk showed me where to leave books I was finished with. She said, if I wished, I could take one for each that I left.

We take books with us, when we finish reading them, place in the donated books cupboard. This leaves room in the suitcases for purchases at ports of call.

The books have always vanished by the next time we check the cupboard to see if anyone else has left different books.

Our favorite part of the ship and one of HAL's best signature qualities, especially the ones kept in the right location and not moved up to share the Crows Nest, but those are pretty good too.:p

Those that don't like the Crows Nest configuration usually say it's because it seems too small. When you consider it's more functional on that side and all the comfy seating is in the Crows Nest 2/3 (ish) of the space has all that seating.

Combine that with the fact that the Crows Nest in all honesty was rather underutilized on the Vistas since it's not the night club... it makes sense. And all the views are still there, the music times are a solo instrumentalist so it's nice and relaxing, there's all sorts of beverages and snacks available AND no one says you have to buy a single thing to be there...

I think they're all great!

We were on the "stormy" Veendam cruise around Cape Horn in December. The library was fantastic. Not only the books, but they also had dominoes that we could and did check out. I'm hoping for the same next week on the Zuiderdam. Anybody know about Scrabble?

Thanks everyone, this sounds great. We're thinking of a 30 day cruise and I want to be sure to have enough reading material :D

The librarians are very helpful.

If you request a book that is already issued to another passenger, the librarian will contact you when the book is available.

Have a wonderful 30 day cruise.

The libraries on HAL are good, and fairly well-stocked. The librarians are helpful. The spaces are comfortable, and usually have specialty coffees available for purchase, so it's a good place to hang out, especially on an at-sea day.

We have many times brought cheap (mostly used) paperbacks and left them at the swap shelf, and a few times found one there to read ourselves in return. Nobody is checking to make sure you left a book before taking one from the trade section, so if you don't have one to drop off for swap to take one, don't worry ... but if you do, all the better.

But, even being the HAL pal that I am, I cannot say that the HAL libriaries are the best afloat. I have only three other lines to compare with -- Costa and NCL I just don't remember, but the third is the hands-down best I've ever seen: Cunard's Queen Mary 2 has a library that is on two floors, and easily has three times (or more) books than the largest HAL library I've seen.

That said, HAL libraries are good, and you should be able to find something. I have noticed that some passengers hit the library early on embarkation day and check out several books, so the choice may be a little less on other days, until they return some.

Dave

After three cruises on RCL I was pleasantly surprised by the library on Grand Princess. It had everything I needed and I ended up using it daily. I'm now wondering how the libraries on HAL are. I'm specially thinking of Rotterdam. Anyone who can give a comparison? How about Veendam?

As others have mentioned HAL has great libraries. Not only better than RCL, better than Princess. I was on the Veendam last year and can vouch for the library having a great selection. It can be a bit confusing at first because there are several sections in Explorations that are not right next to each other. What is really nice is that there is a seperate section of recent New York Times Best Sellers.

As others have mentioned HAL has great libraries. Not only better than RCL, better than Princess. I was on the Veendam last year and can vouch for the library having a great selection. It can be a bit confusing at first because there are several sections in Explorations that are not right next to each other. What is really nice is that there is a seperate section of recent New York Times Best Sellers.

HAL has very good libraries overall. Only ones better I've seen are on the small Princess ships and Cunard. It's gotta be hard to provide reading materials to a mass passenger count of over 2000. Gotta be part of the reason HAL and the smaller ships (plus more pricey Cunard) can do it better than the larger Princess ships. I'm just assuming that RCL megas don't offer a lot in library materials. I stand corrected if mistaken. And that is one reason we stick with the smaller ships.............long many they cruise!!!

HAL has very good libraries overall. Only ones better I've seen are on the small Princess ships and Cunard. It's gotta be hard to provide reading materials to a mass passenger count of over 2000. Gotta be part of the reason HAL and the smaller ships (plus more pricey Cunard) can do it better than the larger Princess ships. I'm just assuming that RCL megas don't offer a lot in library materials. I stand corrected if mistaken. And that is one reason we stick with the smaller ships.............long many they cruise!!!

On the mega ships there is so much to do that there is not much time to read. I was on Oasis of the Seas last year and barely got thru one book. They really don't need a lot of library materials on those. The mega ships also don't usually do long itineraries. On HAL I read about three books.

The library on the QM2 is in a class by itself. Nothing out there on a ship even close.

Archived