Our cabin is double booked????

Pilot70D

While aboard the Connie last December we booked our cabin for December of this year also aboard the Connie. We booked 6145 and paid the required deposit. The reservation was made by Celebrity's person on board and was confirmed in the printout he provided. We do have a TA and the reservation was turned over to her.

We got an email from her because Celebrity contacted her to inform her that our cabin was double booked furthermore Celebrity is telling her that the other reservation was made earlier than ours consequently we will have to either change dates or change cabins.

To say that this is unsettling is an understatement but it has happened so now we have to take the lemmons and make lemmonade. We really need help and input from others to which this same sort of thing has happened. What compensation would be appropriate and fair in a case like this??

Due to job shcedules and obligations we cannot go cruising at another time. There are other cabins of the same type as we reserved but they aren't nearly as nice as 6145 nor are they in as good a location.

Nothing concrete is on the table yet but we are hearing words like $300 OBC from our TA. She also mentioned a possibility of upgrading us to another unspecified type of cabin (6145 is a SkySuite). We book early and specify a cabin that we'll really like despite =X='s policy about proce drops after final payement.

Right now I would say this is a mess. All inputs with advice and information are welcome. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great day out there.

How can this happen with computers?

I'd be very disappointed. Maybe they should give you a category upgrade and the best available for your cruise....

Frankly I am puzzled too because we sat in the future cruise person's office and looked at the cabin availability on-line with him on his computer.

What is really aggravating is that no one discovered this double booking for over four months. I don't think so. I think what happened is that someone with more pull wanted this particular cabin. Can't prove this but I would bet my bottom dollar. This is the only thing that would explain the four month gap.

:mad::mad::mad:

I've cruised in 6146 - opposite to 6145 - on the Connie, and they are truly wonderful cabins. If they are offering an upgrade, I would accept that. Sorry to hear about your issue. I would hate to be in that situation.

Happy cruising!

Thom

It looks like 6145 is the Sky Suite that connects to the Penthouse Suite. I would not be surprised to learn that you were bumped so the person booking the PS could have the connecting room for their kids, parents, or friends. If Celebrity's policy is to let the PS occupants kick someone out of the neighboring S1, they should not mark those cabins available for booking until the PS next to it is booked or close to cruise time.

Another possibility is that a TA booked the room and didn't actually sell the room until months later. When that happened, Celebrity went to put names with the reservation and discovered your names were already there for the room. When they checked the dates of your reservation and the reservation from the TA, they discovered the TA had the room first. The double booking might have just been a computer error. I program computers for a living, so believe me a programming bug can mess things like this up.

In the end it is all speculation. Just try to get good compensation for your inconvenience, have a great cruise and not worry too much about it!

Not a good situation. I agree, it sounds like someone who thinks of themselves as more entitled than others wants your cabin, and the cruise line is caving into them. A $300. OBC is really nothing in the course of a cruise. A trip to the spa wipes that out. Perhaps strongly worded letter from an attorney mentioning breach of contract can get the cruise line to take care of their mess. An upgrade to a penthouse might calm the situation. I would not accept just anything. And once on board, I would go to the cabin I booked and see just who is so important as to bump me out of it, and ask when they indeed booked the cruise.

Wow, that really sucks, especially since that is such a nice stateroom. I had the same thing happen on my last cruise on Equinox; I had booked one of the Aqua Class rooms with the triple sized balcony a few days after the itinerary was released. Several months later I received a call from Celebrity stating that the stateroom was accidentally double booked and the other person had booked it one day earlier than me. At first they just offered me $50 OBC and a change to another Aqua Class room, but I told them this was not acceptable (as all the remaining Aqua Class rooms had normal sized balconies and it was a transatlantic so there were tons of sea days and I really wanted a large balcony). I was able to quickly work out an acceptable compensation with the resolutions department; they were very helpful and accommodating.

I would strongly encourage you to pick what you feel is acceptable (but not over-the-top) compensation and have your travel agent discuss that with the resolutions department. Do not do what a previous poster did and start threatening legal action or demand an unreasonable upgrade such as a Penthouse Suite as such a strategy likely would get you nothing. If the TA is polite and reasonable but firm, I think you have a good chance of receiving compensation that will make you feel satisfied, if not happy.

Best of luck and please update us on the outcome! :)

Very interesting situation - wonder if a large group or company have leased a lot of rooms...

My we suggests that you know make the best hand out of the cards you were delt. I would not fold 'em but play them and ask about a Suite and some on-board credit and two nights at the specialty restaurant. I would not go the strong legal letter route as this gets you nothing but, delays.

Remember to keep written notes on what you have done and who you have spoken with and the numbers called. This way when you have to show your cards to someone at X that can actually do something for you, they will see that you have been patient and want to work this out without a lot of negative attention. As you do want to be a future X customer

If you are in the Atl area just use some "Southern" charm to work this out to your advantage. Hope it works for you and keep all of us posted you may end up with four of a kind a good hand.

Bruton Branch:)

While aboard the Connie last December we booked our cabin for December of this year also aboard the Connie. We booked 6145 and paid the required deposit. The reservation was made by Celebrity's person on board and was confirmed in the printout he provided. We do have a TA and the reservation was turned over to her.

We got an email from her because Celebrity contacted her to inform her that our cabin was double booked furthermore Celebrity is telling her that the other reservation was made earlier than ours consequently we will have to either change dates or change cabins.

To say that this is unsettling is an understatement but it has happened so now we have to take the lemmons and make lemmonade. We really need help and input from others to which this same sort of thing has happened. What compensation would be appropriate and fair in a case like this??

Due to job shcedules and obligations we cannot go cruising at another time. There are other cabins of the same type as we reserved but they aren't nearly as nice as 6145 nor are they in as good a location.

Nothing concrete is on the table yet but we are hearing words like $300 OBC from our TA. She also mentioned a possibility of upgrading us to another unspecified type of cabin (6145 is a SkySuite). We book early and specify a cabin that we'll really like despite =X='s policy about proce drops after final payement.

Right now I would say this is a mess. All inputs with advice and information are welcome. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great day out there.

LOL, Celebrity has the right to move you, change you, cancel you etc....until your final payment is made. Twice on Celebrity I've had my reservation cancelled by them because they charter out the ship. That's the way it goes.

LOL, Celebrity has the right to move you, change you, cancel you etc....until your final payment is made. Twice on Celebrity I've had my reservation cancelled by them because they charter out the ship. That's the way it goes.

There is a huge difference between a ship being chartered out (something that the cruise line tries to do) and a room being double booked (an error made by the cruise line). When the room that is double booked is a special, highly coveted room (as it is in this case) then the error is significant. The OP deserves significant (but not extreme) compensation in this situation.

Pilot70D,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. Did you log into the Celebrity website and confirm your cabin assignment after you returned from your cruise?

If yes, I find it hard to believe that this was simply a case of "double booking". Could the TA have done something to your booking by mistake? For instance cancel the cruise and then rebook in order to get a cost reduction or a group booking rate?

If you had in fact been assigned the cabin and confirmed the assignment then I would ask for an upgrade to the next level. It only seems fair to me.

As stated I am sure that Celebrity has legal wording that says that they can change your cabin whenever they want, but I would think that they would do everything possible to make this right for you.

Good luck.

There is a huge difference between a ship being chartered out (something that the cruise line tries to do) and a room being double booked (an error made by the cruise line). When the room that is double booked is a special, highly coveted room (as it is in this case) then the error is significant. The OP deserves significant (but not extreme) compensation in this situation.

It's most likely it was never double booked. Either someone else wanted it like the suite next door or the TA made a mistake

If Celebrity offers an upgrade, I would take it.

A double booking actually happened to our friends that we met on the Milli. Though Celebrity didn't realize they had double booked the room until embarkation day. Our friends showed up to their room with someone else already in it. Celebrity offered an upgraded to a veranda room, and our friends took it.

So at least you found out early, but dealing with a double booking is never any fun. I hope everything gets resolved for the better. Let us know what happens.

Not quite the same scenario, but a few years back we had booked 6136 on Infinity. Of course, like you, we booked early so we could get that particular cabin as it has a huge balcony (just like the cabin you booked).

About a week before our sailing, my TA contacted me and told me Celebrity had to move us to another Concierge Class cabin as there had been a "minor" fire in cabin 6136. My TA thought it sounded kinda fishy and believe me, it was. My TA suggested I go and check out the cabin when we boarded.

When we boarded, we went straight to that cabin. The door was open and, in fact, the cabin attendant welcomed us (by name). However, I informed him that I was told we had been moved due to the previous week's fire and he looked perplexed. I got excited thinking the whole thing was a big mistake and the cabin was, indeed, ours. DH and I immediately went to Customer Relations desk and explained the situation, only to be told that the room was "unavailable" and not even listed on the manifest. Huh? That made no sense, but they just kept telling me that they were very sorry, but DH and I could not occupy that cabin. Needless to say I was quite annoyed. We paid for Concierge Class from the getgo, so what they moved us to was no better and, in fact, was worse because we lost that large balcony. Anyway, after several minutes they offered us a $25/pp OBC...big deal. We took it because we knew they weren't going to give us anything better.

Later in the week I learned that a "celebrity" (Kate Jackson was the rumor) had the Royal Suite booked next door to our cabin and she wanted the cabin next door for privacy.

It's most likely it was never double booked. Either someone else wanted it like the suite next door or the TA made a mistake

Don't blame the TA. This reservation was made on board then transferred to a TA later.:)

Frankly I am puzzled too because we sat in the future cruise person's office and looked at the cabin availability on-line with him on his computer.

What is really aggravating is that no one discovered this double booking for over four months. I don't think so. I think what happened is that someone with more pull wanted this particular cabin. Can't prove this but I would bet my bottom dollar. This is the only thing that would explain the four month gap.

:mad::mad::mad:

I am afraid to say - you probably right. That will be my thoughts.

I would request an upgrade, except your situation has a unique problem - a one category upgrade is to a Celebrity Suite, which is without a balcony. So to put you into a suite with a balcony, that's the Royal, which is a significant upgrade (double the cost?) over what you have now. I would look at four things: first, I would consider meeting them half way - asking for a Royal but willing to pay more than your current Sky Suite, but less than the advertised rate. Next - I would inquire about a reduced-price suite guarantee and roll the dice on an upgrade (perhaps telling them that you don't want the Celebrity Suite). Next, I would think about picking another Sky Suite and asking for more OBC. 6131 and 6132 look nice. Finally, you could ask to be booked into the category below Sky Suite and get a free upgrade to a Sky Suite of your choice. That would save you some money up front. (Do the math to see which works out better - the free upgrade to Sky Suite or the on board credit.) Good luck - hope it works out well.

I wouldn't even venture to guess how it happened...but a lot of good speculation already in this thread...I'm thinking that adjoining suite theory sounds very plausible...

That said, it's really all moot now, isn't it...

The cruise is still about 8 months away, correct? I am sure there are still plenty of cabins available...

I would hope your TA will really fight for you here...Make the strong claim that the early booking for a SPECIFIC cabin was material for you...

Personally, I do not think 6145 is that well located...to me, better to be more midship and closer to elevators...I have cruised in Sky Suites 6120 and 6122 on M-Class ships--a smaller balcony, I believe, but more midship...

But, I would try to come across indignant enough that an uograde would be in order--maybe snag a larger suite for the same price...that, to me, would be the goal...I don't think a small OBC is adequate for the screw-up...

OTOH, we were on a cruise on the Connie a few years back and were invited to dine at the Captain's Table first formal night...One of the other couples seated with us had booked a specific cabin early and were asked if they would move because the adjoining suite wanted the cabin for their children--including a 10 year old handicapped child. These people graciously agree to move to another cabin and received no compensation--other than the invite to dine at the Captain's Table...

The same thing happened to us on the Millie years ago. We booked the same cabin (close to yours) while on the ship, transferred the reservation to our ta and sent the deposit upon returning home and one month later was advised that due to not submitting the deposit timely the cabin was given to someone else. The deposit was timely and the ta and x each blamed the other for an accounting mistake. While they offered us alot of unsatisfactory options , we insisted upon a upgrade to a suite. The ta did not want to take responsibility (last time 8 or 9 cruises ago we used that ta) and x finally gave us the upgrade. Stick to your guns if you didn't do anything wrong.

I am not impressed with X if this is a case of 'someone with more pull' bumping people who had the cabin booked. If they have that much 'pull' they should be required to sweeten the deal for the party being bumped--pay that OBC and upgrade plus ????? I wish you good luck.............

That doesn't seem right. If you have a confirmation of a specific cabin, they should have to give it to you, and if not, definitely some good compensation.

I have no idea how they could not discover a double booking for 4 months. Seems fishy.

Between this and the GTY cabins that weren't honoured... I'm not getting great vibes about X lately.

Not exactly the same thing but a few years ago our friends had early booked an aft cabin on a "M" class ship. A few months before the cruise they were informed that the cabin hand been given away "by mistake". My friend was very unhappy, and through her TA told her the only compensation she would accept was another aft cabin or a CS upgrade. She got the upgrade.:)

Barb

Archived