Having a tough time - which would you choose?

eroller

My brother and I are treating our mother to a cruise after her last chemo treatment. Sort of a reward for everything she is going through and hopefully a celebration that she will be cancer free!

Anyway I'm having a tough time deciding between the two options I've narrowed it down to. The three of us will be sharing one cabin, so I want to be as comfortable as possible with hopefully some privacy. Based on pricing, two cruises fit our budget and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Both choices leave from Ft. Lauderdale and are almost the exact same price.

Which would you pick and perhaps you could explain your reasoning. Hopefully your insight may provide a pro or con I've overlooked. Let me add the ships are actually more important than the ports for me, so that is what I'm concentrating on.

The choices are:

1. CARNIVAL MIRACLE - November - 8 nights - Eastern Caribbean

We would be guaranteed in a suite category, but I don't know which one we would end up in and how private and comfortable they are for three people. Has anyone had experience being in a guarantee suite? Do you know what Carnival usually assigns? I've sailed on other Spirit Class ships and really enjoyed them (they are my favorite class of Carnival ships). The cruise would be one night longer than the second option which is a plus.

2. CROWN PRINCESS - November - 7 nights - Southern Caribbean

We would be in a mini-suite. I've sailed in one before (with two people) and it's a great layout because the bathroom and closet make a nice private changing area. Also the balcony is quite large. One nice thing about Princess is that I'm Platinum so there would be some past passenger perks.

Thanks!

Ernie

Personally, I prefer Princess enough to give up the full suite and the extra day and sail the Crown. I have been on Carnival twice (including last week) and feel the food and service are a couple of notches below Princess.

I would pick the Princess cruise as it's a very relaxing itinerary. It sounds likemit woulld be the perfect mix for your mom after all she's been through. Both fun and relaxing.

I wish your mom well and that all works out. What a wonderful thing to do for your mom. I hope which ever you chose that you all have the greatest time!

I usually much prefer Princess because the ships are more elegant and relaxing with less children. That being said, a mini suite may be a little small for three people. I do not know what the suites are like on Carnival but if they are substantially larger, I would choose Carnival.

Cruising in November, you're unlikely to have tons of kids on either cruise unless it's over Thanksgiving. Since the cruise is for your mother, and without knowing the lady, chances are that Princess is a better "fit" for her. The onboard pace, while active, is geared towards more mature passengers. Also, it'll still be hurricane season and an Eastern Caribbean cruise is more likely to be affected by a storm at that time of the year than the Southern Caribbean.

No matter what you choose, best wishes to your mother and congratulations on completing her chemo. I have a friend going through that right now and she's going on a cruise when she finishes hers in a few weeks.

Have fun whichever one you choose. I have never been on Carnival so I have no reference for that line. My DH and I took my Mom to Alaska last year on the Celebrity Infinity. We had a fantastic time!! We were all in an oceanview and it worked out better than we expected it would. :D

Enjoy being together and good wishes for your Mom and her being cancer free.

I would choose the Princess if for no other reason the itinerary. You have more days at sea which can be very relaxing. My wife also is on chemo but loves crusing so this is her "reward" each time she finishes it. (she will be on it for the rest of her life). I don't have to tell you what chemo does to their energy and stamina so relaxing is a #1 priority. You will have plenty of room in the mini suite and plus like you said there are perks with the level you are at. Best of luck and we will keep you in our prayers.

My brother and I are treating our mother to a cruise after her last chemo treatment. Sort of a reward for everything she is going through and hopefully a celebration that she will be cancer free!

Anyway I'm having a tough time deciding between the two options I've narrowed it down to. The three of us will be sharing one cabin, so I want to be as comfortable as possible with hopefully some privacy. Based on pricing, two cruises fit our budget and seem to be the best bang for the buck.

Both choices leave from Ft. Lauderdale and are almost the exact same price.

Which would you pick and perhaps you could explain your reasoning. Hopefully your insight may provide a pro or con I've overlooked. Let me add the ships are actually more important than the ports for me, so that is what I'm concentrating on.

The choices are:

1. CARNIVAL MIRACLE - November - 8 nights - Eastern Caribbean

We would be guaranteed in a suite category, but I don't know which one we would end up in and how private and comfortable they are for three people. Has anyone had experience being in a guarantee suite? Do you know what Carnival usually assigns? I've sailed on other Spirit Class ships and really enjoyed them (they are my favorite class of Carnival ships). The cruise would be one night longer than the second option which is a plus.

2. CROWN PRINCESS - November - 7 nights - Southern Caribbean

We would be in a mini-suite. I've sailed in one before (with two people) and it's a great layout because the bathroom and closet make a nice private changing area. Also the balcony is quite large. One nice thing about Princess is that I'm Platinum so there would be some past passenger perks.

Thanks!

Ernie

Go with the southern route,,,,better

Also going with what you know rather then the unknown in travel is always a better choice

Since you mentioned that the ship is important to you I would definitely recommend the Crown. I have sailed on both ships and she wins hands down.

Have a great time and I hope your mom continues to do well :D

I think no matter which cruise line you choose you won't be unhappy. The cruising experience, in general, is such a wonderful way to celebrate. You have the right idea.

IMHO, I would choose Princess for my mom. No matter which one you choose have a wonderful time, enjoy every minute with her. You're wonderful children.

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

While I think overall the CROWN PRINCESS might be the better choice, it's looking more and more like we will go with CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price for CROWN PRINCESS has already increased by about $300 since yesterday. The original category we wanted is now sold out and we would have to go to a higher category. The way it stands now, we can sail on CARNIVAL MIRACLE in a suite with prepaid gratuities for slightly less than CROWN PRINCESS. I need to set aside $$ as well for drinks, specialty restaurants, shore excursions, etc. so I have to take all that into consideration.

FYI my mom's last chemo treatment is early August so I figure by November she will be completely recovered and ready for good times. She is very full of life and loves to have fun, so I know she would enjoy herself equally on Carnival or Princess (maybe even more on Carnival). She is not one to just sit around and read. She always likes to be doing something so Carnival may actually be a little better in this regard. Both sailings have a nice mix of sea days and ports as well.

Thanks again to everyone for your well wishes and advice. It's appreciated!

Ernie

While I think overall the CROWN PRINCESS might be the better choice, it's looking more and more like we will go with CARNIVAL MIRACLE. The price for CROWN PRINCESS has already increased by about $300 since yesterday. The original category we wanted is now sold out and we would have to go to a higher category.

Is the category you want still available as a Guarantee? If so, you can book that category and when the GTY is assigned, it might be that category or a higher one.

Best of luck to you and your mom. We have sailed Princess and Carnival miracle out of NY. Miracle is the most repeat guest ship in their fleet and you wont be disappointed. We enjoy both lines but Carnival has some unbelievable deals for an extra day.

Make sure you make reservations at Nick & Nora's for 1 night as its fantastic.

Have a great cruise.

I would chose Princess and the Crown. the Southern Caribbean cruise is a good one. Taken it twice. Your mother will enjoy the sea days. Keep in mind, if she is just finishing chemo, she will continue with a low energy level and will need rest.

You and your brother are to be commended for your thoughtfulness.

Enjoy your cruise. Your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers are she continues her recovery.

Shirley

Not sure how you are checking prices but Princess lets travel agents discount still which may save you quite a bit of money. Also, some travel agents may still have group space in the category you are looking at (travel agent may have access even if it looks filled on Princess.com).

Absolutely Princess vs. Carnival for your mom's sake. She'll be more comfortable. IME, Carnival does not upgrade that well - it's almost always from balcony category to a higher balcony category, etc. It's not often that they'll put someone into a suite from an outside cabin, for example.

Not sure how you are checking prices but Princess lets travel agents discount still which may save you quite a bit of money. Also, some travel agents may still have group space in the category you are looking at (travel agent may have access even if it looks filled on Princess.com).

Thanks. I was checking prices at Princess.com and Carnival.com.

I've emailed my travel agent so we will see what she comes up with. Princess may win out after all.

Ernie

Thanks. I was checking prices at Princess.com and Carnival.com.

I've emailed my travel agent so we will see what she comes up with. Princess may win out after all.

If she comes back with the same price as what you found checking Princess, you may want to look for a TA who will give you a discount.

Also, as a past Carnival passenger, you may be eligible for past passenger rates on Princess. Be sure your TA checks that.

Archived