RCCL cancellation policy due to death in family

castcore

Sorry to hear about the death of your friend's mother.

I know of someone who cancelled a cruise due to a death in the family & they received a credit from RCCI but at the end of the day they are under no obligation to give you a refund. I'd give RCCI a call if you booked direct or talk to your TA if you used one. There's no harm in asking.

I guess it's another good reason to make sure you have adequate travel insurance.

Does she have travel insurance?

If your cruise is still 10 days away it might be good for her to go on the cruise.

I agree, I had vacation planned right around the time my mother passed away from cancer. I had already decided that if she should pass durring vacation I was goign to stay and finish it and then return home. It turned out to happen a few weeks before though so the vacation after everything was said and done was a greatly needed break. 10 days should be enough time to plan the funeral and deal with family.

In my experience, if you have a sudden emergency, Royal will not talk about options until you officially cancel your cruise. They have no obligation to refund without insurance; it would be at their discretion.

If she can find someone to go in her place, they could do a name change on the cabin for a small fee ($35?)

My father died 14 days prior to my leaving and being in charge of a cruise 14 yrs ago. I debated going but remembered him telling me to make sure I went on my cruise. He himself loved cruising and was the reason the family got bit by the cruise bug. So, I went, did my job as group leader and with a heavy heart enjoyed the 7 day rest after his battle with cancer took his life. Here's to "sailing" dad!

My Brother and I were scheduled to go on a 9 day starting 25 Aug 2011 from Baltimore.

I had to cancel because my Wife’s medical condition changed a little for the worse and I couldn’t leave her home as we had planned. The hurricane coming to our home also made it impossible to leave her since the storm would pass through while my Brother and I would be on the cruise.

One option would have been to take her along on the cruise. There wasn’t a single extra cabin available at that late date, so that wouldn’t work.

I had to cancel a day before the cruise.

I had insurance and I filed a claim a few days ago. They said to call them no sooner than a month after I mailed the claim. The insurance cost $284 to insure a $2500 total. That seems like quite a bit.

From all the paperwork, it looks like the insurance company is not making this easy.

We shall see what happens.

In my experience, if you have a sudden emergency, Royal will not talk about options until you officially cancel your cruise. They have no obligation to refund without insurance; it would be at their discretion.

If she can find someone to go in her place, they could do a name change on the cabin for a small fee ($35?)

Friend of mine did a name change for her cruise last week........she had the name changed on the 24th....cruise was on the 27th.no charge!

When my Dad died suddenly 3 days before we were to leave on a cruise RC would not refund my fare. They did however offer us a credit of $300 each for a future cruise. It was better than nothing but we still lost alot of money. That was before I had the common sense to buy travel insurance.

If I were your friend I would go on the cruise anyway if it is 10 days away. By then the funeral will be over and I don't see any reason not to go.

You just said she is going with you. In the same room or one of her own? If she is the third passeenger in a room she should be able to cancel with no fees. Lots of variables. When doing name changes one name must remain on the cabin so it is a change and not a full cancellation.

Best wishes to her and I hope she can still go. It will be a good change after what is probably a tough time.

I have a serious medical condition and we are booked for a cruise next June. I might live 10 years or 10 months. I have left ABSOLUTELY no doubt that I will haunt them if they cancel the cruise, should something unexpectedly happen to me. I've also sent our TA an e-mail for him to show them my sincere desire that they go on the cruise. Ten days after the death, a cruise might be just what she needs and doesn't realize it today. Not to be morbid, but the funeral will be over and there's nothing she can really do at home. She would be continuing her life, work or whatever, 10 days from now and I can think of nothing more peaceful and comforting than looking out at the sea. I brings a peace that nowhere else offers. I don't think her Mom would want to think about her, 10 days from now, sitting and moping around. Doesn't mean our kids don't love us or miss us. I hope she will be able to reconsider and go with you. I think it would help her gain peace and comfort.

After a lengthy illness, my husband's father passed away on Aug 15th, the funeral service was Aug 18th, and we left the 19th for our Baltic/ TA B2B. It had been a really bad summer and we both felt we needed to get away. In hindsight, I am glad we did go as it was good for him to get a break and relax. I don't think his mom was happy with our decision (although she is never happy with our traveling:D) but we knew she would be taken care of by his other siblings.

Grief is very personal, your friend needs to do what is best for her and her family. Right now she wants to cancel, but in a week, she might feel differently. Explore your options but hold off as long as you can before you make a final, irreversable decision.

Sherri:)

My mom died last summer on a Tuesday. Her funeral was on a Friday. My sister, her husband and their daughter had already scheduled a vacation, not a cruise but similar circumstance, for the Monday after, for which she had earlier invited my mom to go along. They went anyway. A cliche, but my mom would definitely have wanted it that way.

I think it is up to their discretion.............maybe cuz her TA called it in??

I don't doubt it; they make up the rules as they go along. I usually base my answers on the website and then 10 people post that it didn't happen that way in their case.

My brother and SIL had a cruise scheduled w/ no insurance. Due to family emergency they could not go that date. They fought for it--and RCCL allowed them to go 2 weeks later on same itinerary. I think they may have had to pay a few hundred as that sailing had higher rates.

You just said she is going with you. In the same room or one of her own? If she is the third passeenger in a room she should be able to cancel with no fees. Lots of variables. When doing name changes one name must remain on the cabin so it is a change and not a full cancellation.

Best wishes to her and I hope she can still go. It will be a good change after what is probably a tough time.

A third passenger still has to pay a fare so how could that person cancel with no fee? I had a cruise booked once with 3 of us in the cabin. The third person cancelled about a month before the cruise and the remaining 2 of us had to pick up the extra money.

My mom passed away unexpectedly last October, four days before our cruise. We had no travel insurance. I called RC to cancel and and they issued a full refund back to my credit card. I never asked for my money back. I guess I was just lucky that day and will always purchase travel insurance from now on.

I can only repeat the advice that has been given before me, right now it must be very overwhelming for your friend. But again from personal experience still going on the cruise will hopefully give your friend some time to unwind before facing the many decisions that come after handling the burial.

Does she have travel insurance?

If your cruise is still 10 days away it might be good for her to go on the cruise.

My mother died days before our cruise and the only reason we rescheduled it for a month later was because it was a free cruise - but even then I felt it was too soon.

I guess it depends on how much we love our mothers, but no way would I have gone away just ten days after my dear mum died. Your head is still all over the place.

Far better to grieve fully and then reschedule for further down the line.

My mother died days before our cruise and the only reason we rescheduled it for a month later was because it was a free cruise - but even then I felt it was too soon.

I guess it depends on how much we love our mothers, but no way would I have gone away just ten days after my dear mum died. Your head is still all over the place.

Far better to grieve fully and then reschedule for further down the line.

Sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you. It has nothing to do with how much one loves their mother, but rather, how each person deals with grief. For you, ten days was too soon but for someone else, it could be right. Everyone deals with grief in their own way and whatever feels right for them should be respected.

Sherri:)

Archived