upsale fairy called and wanted to put us in the captains suite!!

Missiowa

Not judging....but why does she walk thru an airport with a sash and a crown? Is that a requirement of the contest

They get hired to go to certain events. They travel all over the US and talk about charities and go visit alot of people.

For instance, we live in a very small town, She may fly to a larger town to go visit kids in a hospital that are dying or very critically ill.

She must wear her sash and crown when traveling for the Miss USA orginization. Its part of her job, like wearing a nametag at a job or a badge.

No she doesn't wear it to just be wearing it. Just when she is on the job. NBC and the Miss orginization gets paid a fee. This fee is what pays for these girls to get scholarships for college.

No one is hating I always give people the benefit of the doubt HOWEVER, unless she said something like "well we are special" I cant see giving them a Captain's suite for Free" Now maybe if she actually won the pagant but even that would require them to say who they were...so I dont think anyone is not being nice here I personally think its BS....jmho

That's cool. We will contininue to have a difference of opinion here then. Just my take. Have a good one.

I think it was the we always get treated like VIP statement that got people going. I personally think it's great that you got upgraded. I really think though if you would have stated the whole story at the beginning people wouldn't have been so rude. Hey, I've been on the receiving end of rudeness myself. Trust me, people can be vicious on these boards.

My husband is originally from Iowa and all his family still live there. Much luck to your daughter. I hope she does well.

I was once upgraded, at no extra charge, from an OV to what used to be called a Cat 12.

Some people don't believe that either...so don't feel bad.

And there's no Miss USAs in our family...lol!

Our PVP called and told us of the upgrade. She said she must have done well that month because many of her clients were being upgraded.

We booked a HC room one year and when I was on Carnival one day I noticed that it did not show my room number anymore and I immediately called my PVP. They said that the room I booked was going to be under service during our cruise. There was me my DH and 2 kids in the room. They upgraded us to a HC suite and with another room across the hall for the kids at no extra charge. So I feel that you got the upgrade for the HC room and not for you VIP status. But congradulations on the great room

I forget what cruise we were on but waiting in line at the deli we started talking to the couple in front of us. It was their first cruise and they were upgraded from an OV to a suite, they had no idea why but they were sure happy about it. :D

OP congrats on the upgrade have a wonderful cruise.

I got a call earlier wanting to upgrade us from a ov too the captains suite! I cannot wait! Carnival is great!

Great news! Enjoy! And congrats to your daughter and the entire family. I know that this accomplishment would have been a family effort. I wish her all the best.

When are you going to be on the Valor?

So of you that have the BS meter going off. Here's the story. Guest services called making sure our room was ok. We originally booked a HC room, then they had dry dock, changed our room and got a call months later saying now its not a HC room. Got the run around for months. Wanted to put us in 2 inside room but pay over $700 more. I told them we would just make due and enjoy our cruise. I am not a complainer.

Anyways, when guest services called yesterday, they wanted to check on my DH mobility. I told them again, I would have to make due, there was nothing we could do this late in the cruise and just mentioned that I just wished that carnival would have made it right for us. They made the mistake of telling us this was a HC room when indeed it was not. I also mentioned that we were not going to cancell, we have been waiting for this cruise for over a year( me counting down every week with excitement). She stated she knew we had teen agers, and I said yes, my daughter is actually a finalist in the Miss USA and can't wait to travel some more.

We got to talking, told her our OV room was fine, Hung up.

Got another call about 6 hours later from PVP. She is the once offered us the room. I don't know if Guess services put that info in our file or called PVP or what.

I never said "we were special, give us something for free".

I never complained or wanted to be upgraded. Our PVP knew it was there mistake and too that into consideration.

We get upgraded all the time. This Miss USA is a hard job. These girls have to be on there best behaviour all the time. They are role models. Any girl walking thru a airport with a sash and crown is going to get reconized. They volunteer alot of hours. My daughter has gave up alot to do this job. She has worked with bone marrow kids, adults with cancer, MS patients, special needs kids, and many many more just for a college scholarship. Don't roll your eyes. Its a hard job and alot of work.

Smile and don't judge us.

Congratulations on the upgrade :) Good luck to your DD, you must be really proud!!

Congrats to you for whatever reason you got the suite. It doesn't matter why. Just enjoy it. I am happy for you and a little jealous. :)

I hope your daughter does well in the pageant but not as well as Miss Arkansas. ;) She can be 1st runner up though. Tacky, I know.

Have a wonderful cruise!

The OP needed a HC cabin. I think its the ADA that got them the upgrade. Nothing to do with Beauty pageants.:rolleyes:

But the Captains Suite is not handicapped accessible. Doors are standard 22" and not wheelchair width and a 8" lip step to the bathrooms. This would not be an ADA approved stateroom.

So of you that have the BS meter going off. Here's the story. Guest services called making sure our room was ok. We originally booked a HC room, then they had dry dock, changed our room and got a call months later saying now its not a HC room. Got the run around for months. Wanted to put us in 2 inside room but pay over $700 more. I told them we would just make due and enjoy our cruise. I am not a complainer.

Anyways, when guest services called yesterday, they wanted to check on my DH mobility. I told them again, I would have to make due, there was nothing we could do this late in the cruise and just mentioned that I just wished that carnival would have made it right for us. They made the mistake of telling us this was a HC room when indeed it was not. I also mentioned that we were not going to cancell, we have been waiting for this cruise for over a year( me counting down every week with excitement). She stated she knew we had teen agers, and I said yes, my daughter is actually a finalist in the Miss USA and can't wait to travel some more.

Got another call about 6 hours later from PVP. She is the once offered us the room. I don't know if Guess services put that info in our file or called PVP or what.

I never complained or wanted to be upgraded. Our PVP knew it was there mistake and too that into consideration.

We get upgraded all the time. This Miss USA is a hard job. These girls have to be on there best behaviour all the time. They are role models. Any girl walking thru a airport with a sash and crown is going to get reconized. They volunteer alot of hours. My daughter has gave up alot to do this job. She has worked with bone marrow kids, adults with cancer, MS patients, special needs kids, and many many more just for a college scholarship. Don't roll your eyes. Its a hard job and alot of work.

well, there ya go...you told them about her after she asked if you had teenagers. Can we assume your teenage daughter is cruising with you?:D I would think that now the entire crew of ship's officers knows this about her and will indeed be treating her like royalty. The info that she is on the ship will get around to the entire pax body and CCL will capitalize on her fame. Sorry but true...and the only way I am wrong about this would be if you say she is NOT cruising with you. I don't think I saw that in your post..but if I missed it...so sorry...and my theory is bunk...but if she is with you...and you told them...then be prepared for them to hover over you and make a big deal...

personally...I hope they do not do this...because then she is working and not vacationing...and CCL is not a charitable organization.....

For free, I think they found out our daughter is in the miss USA pageant. We always get treated like VIPs! Thanks carnival!

I think the reason everyone started with the negativity is the way it was worded, just say'n.

But, let me say CONGRATS on the upgrade and I hope you enjoy your cruise..good luck with the pagent :D

That's cool. We will contininue to have a difference of opinion here then. Just my take. Have a good one.

:) had she said the story in her original post then it wouldn't have been an issue see which is why I give people the benefit of the doubt...

OP Have a wonderful Cruise and enjoy your Suite :)

This thread is kinda funny....I am getting a kick out of it. My first question is, why did you post this in the first place? It wasn't a question or tip or anything...just kinda bragging? That's fine and all...but if you are bragging, at least give enough details, to prevent the "haters". I, too, questioned the legitimacy of this. With the details, it appears that Carnival made a mistake and they fixed it, maybe going a little further than normal...and that's GREAT for you. Enjoy it! As for the Miss USA thing...whatever makes her feel good. Not sure you can make much of a career out of it, but can be a fun hobby! :D

Archived