Would you warn anyone about anything on their first (Princess) cruise?

Coral

Sort of a strange question.

I have cruised several lines (Celebrity, Carnival, Celebrity and RCCL) and Princess is my favorite. I have friends who are going on their first cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess in May. I personally like Princess' food and have always had great service but I am not a coffee drinker and do not eat at the buffets.

Would you warn first time cruisers about the eggs in the buffet or the coffee in the Horizon Court or anything else for that matter? Or is it better that they just realize it on their own? I know I was blown away on my first cruise and the tiny things that I didn't like seemed insignificant so I am thinking I should keep quiet but after reading some threads this morning - I was wondering if I am doing the right thing. I don't want to come across as negative as they are very excited about this cruise and are celebrating their 40th anniversary on the ship (once of a lifetime trip).

I think I'd let them experience it on their own. They may come back and say they were the best eggs they've ever eaten!!! Sometimes too much information is just that...TMI! LOL:D

I remember my first cruise on the SS Norway. I thought I was a Princess! Not sure now what I thought about the food, but I'm sure it was 'heavenly'. I do compare now that I've cruised on many different lines, but that first cruise (or first cruise on a line you haven't yet tried) is always wonderful experience.

Sort of a strange question.

I have cruised several lines (Celebrity, Carnival, Celebrity and RCCL) and Princess is my favorite. I have friends who are going on their first cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess in May. I personally like Princess' food and have always had great service but I am not a coffee drinker and do not eat at the buffets.

Would you warn first time cruisers about the eggs in the buffet or the coffee in the Horizon Court or anything else for that matter? Or is it better that they just realize it on their own? I know I was blown away on my first cruise and the tiny things that I didn't like seemed insignificant so I am thinking I should keep quiet but after reading some threads this morning - I was wondering if I am doing the right thing. I don't want to come across as negative as they are very excited about this cruise and are celebrating their 40th anniversary on the ship (once of a lifetime trip).

have you gone away on vacation with these friends?

We have some dear friends that we have gone away with and would warn them about things - but what we would warn them about are things such as - if you have traditional dinner, try to be as prompt as possible and if you want to lounge right at poolside, get up early.

We wouldn't warn them about food, because even though we have eaten out with them numerous time, sometimes they like something and we don't and vice versa.

I personally like the coffee (not love it), but hadn't noticed anything other than that it was drinkable. After reading on here, I asked other friends who were with us and they agreed with me. All of us liked the coffee. So, my f-i-l is going with us on our next cruise (less than one week, yeah) and I have not told him to bring a coffee maker and haven't told him that many people don't like the coffee, because we often drink the same coffee (his and mine).

have you gone away on vacation with these friends?

No - I just know these friends through work. They are really down to earth people and are the types that would feel comfortable in any situation.

I think I will just keep quiet.

I think let them experience it first hand, too! I've always loved cruising, I've had friends that tried it and didn't like it that much. Now I try to curb my enthusiasm a little bit and let them go see for themselves!

I've been cruising a fairly long time, the Norway was a biggie for me, too, and I don't remember anyone being so coffee/buffet presentation obsessed like now. I guess having the internet outlet to comments on things is the reason.

Susie

If the buffet on the Island Princess is like the one on the Caribbean Princess (my only Princess cruise) I would warn them about the way the food is arranged.

On Celebrity you've seen all the buffet food once you've traversed the line from beginning to end. On Princess there are several short lines, everyone just jumps in or out looking and taking food.

Tell your friends to try and experience everything. I'm always amazed to read reviews where they say "I didn't attend any of the shows in the theater." The shows are some of our best cruise memories. The smaller shows, in the lounges, can often be quite good too.

Probably one the top three entertainers I've ever seen never set foot in the main theater or one of the smaller lounges...he simply walked around the ship performing before small groups that would stop to see what was going on. His name was, I think, Meo...a magician on one of the Celebrity ships.

We took our first Princess cruise a month or so ago. I would warn them to make sure they just forget about everything and have a wonderful time. Warn them not to listen to that small minority of complainers on board-just have a wonderful time. Everything is great...with one tiny exception. The coffee is awful but less awful in the dining room. If they like coffee-drink it there and avoid it at Horizon (at least on the Sun). Or...buy a cup of decent java when they hit shore.

Let me chime in and agree with everyone above. I think one's first cruise is so exciting and unique, that we don't even know how to compare it to anything land based. My own first cruise has many wonderful memories, and it was in a tiny inside cabin, on a much older, smaller ship, and we knew nothing of which seating to choose, embarcation/debarkation lines, food choices, etc. It is only on subsequent cruises that one notices the differences from one cruise to another. So let them enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I would not warn them about anything unless you already know they have a very particular need or strong aversion to the "thing" you are discussing. I figure they won't notice they are eating eggs, much less the consistency of them, while they are gazing out the Horizon Court windows that first morning.

It's so funny-our first cruise was also on the Norway in an inside cabin with upper and Lower bunks no less. I thought the cruise was wonderful. Now here we are 9 years and 18 cruises later in balcony cabins and I still think the Norway was wonderful!

Anyway-if anything, I would warn them to keep an eye on the onboard charges-they have a way of sneaking up on you.

I think all the replies here miss the point.

This person asked for some opinions so come on, why not answer the question as they clearly want to know (as do I)!

Cathy

(first timer in June)

Unless someone asked specifically, I probably wouldn't go so far as to warn anyone about certain items, unless of course I knew the people very well and had a sense of how their tastes compared to ours. The best advice to give people is not to set their expectations too high.

Thanks everyone! I will keep quiet.

As far as the buffet - we work at a university and often dine with the students - so I guess chaos is the norm for us. Maybe that is why I have never complained about the arrangement of the buffet on Princess.

Now Coral this is a good thread so will give my opinion. When DH and I took our very first cruise we were such greenhorns, did not know a dang thing ahead of time. Just was happy to cruise period. Now after a few cruises under our belt, after checking the ins and outs of what cabins, overall reading every single thing that I can get my hands on both DH and I have come to the conclusion that that very 1st cruise was the best ever. There was a element of surprise around every turn. Even my DH now says that I check too much before every cruise and you know he is right. I say let them find out themselves.

Marilyn

I think I'd let them experience it on their own. They may come back and say they were the best eggs they've ever eaten!!! Sometimes too much information is just that...TMI! LOL:D

I remember my first cruise on the SS Norway. I thought I was a Princess! Not sure now what I thought about the food, but I'm sure it was 'heavenly'. I do compare now that I've cruised on many different lines, but that first cruise (or first cruise on a line you haven't yet tried) is always wonderful experience.

I too have been on the Norway, and I will say this. 'If that had been my first cruise, it would have been my last!' You should try more than one cruise before you judge. john.

The original post was a bit unclear, in that I'm not sure if this is their friend's FIRST cruise experience, which is going to Alaska, or they have been on other cruises, but this is their first to Alaska.

In any case, I think it's most important to relay that an Alaskan cruise is VERY DIFFERENT than a warm weather cruise. In fact, one can say that the ship is just about incidental on an Alaskan cruise; what's important is the wonderful SCENERY that is Alaska.

Remind them that they won't be lounging around the pool with a band playing carribiean music. Remind them that they must get up early each morning when the ship pulls into each glacier to view it. Remind them they need to bring layers, and should have gloves and knit caps, because it does get cold, especially when viewing the glaciers.

The original post was a bit unclear, in that I'm not sure if this is their friend's FIRST cruise experience, which is going to Alaska, or they have been on other cruises, but this is their first to Alaska..

First cruise and first trip to Alaska. I have gone over ports with them and made a few suggestions for excursions. I have also mentioned about being out on deck early (or on their balcony) and about glacier days.

I also worry about them running into people who will say "Princess has gone down hill since Carnival bought them, etc. . " Hopefully they won't run into these people - I have sailed the same time they have and it was mostly first timers on the cruise. I just want everything to be perfect for them. They have chosen a great itinerary and a great ship.

If your friends enjoy their cruise, I'd suggest that they take advantage of the Future Cruise offer from Princess ($100 pp to book a cruise within the next 4 years) - it's such a great deal and once you're hooked on cruising, there's NO WAY you'll take more than 4 years to book another cruise!

Shar

(Wishing she'd taken advantage of it before her 5th cruise on Princess)

We just took our daughter and son in law on their first cruise. We had inside cabins and I kept warning them how small the rooms were going to be. They were actually surprised that they were as big as they were. I think they were expecting a walk in closet after listening to me! I would also warn them to come prepared with some bonine in case of rough seas.

I don't know as I would consider it a warning but I would suggest to anyone who is cruising on the Diamond or Sapphire Princess and who has anytime dining to call and make reservations as early as possible once they board the ship!!

Maybe I would give them advice as to when to get to the port and what to expect getting on the ship (best times for getting in line and making sure to have paperwork ready -- using the Princess website to update info is a sure bet; being prepared to have photo taken, bringing valuables and a change of clothing in carryon as well as sunscreen -- even with Alaskan cruise, tres important). Telling them what to expect on the muster drill, when to go to the dining room (for traditional dining, it's best to wait a few minutes on the first day else you wait in a line). What charges to expect for drinks, soda, etc. That kind of stuff. But I wouldn't tell someone to what to expect in terms of quality because it may turn out to be so different.

I wish we had not scheduled shore excursions in every port. Some mornings we were ashore at 0700 and did not return until mid afternoon. We like more of a relaxing vacation and will spend much more time onboard ship next cruise.

Mike

Tell your friends to try and experience everything. I'm always amazed to read reviews where they say "I didn't attend any of the shows in the theater." The shows are some of our best cruise memories. The smaller shows, in the lounges, can often be quite good too.
The advice I'd give would be the opposite--don't try to do everything. You'll be worn out if you do. The other advice I'd give them is to keep a cheerful attitude when things don't go quite right--but also don't be shy about speaking up when they need something (as long as they can do it cheerfully and not whining).

Archived